MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Cooking Frozen Fish

11/4/18 @ 8:20 AM
INITIAL POST
Smallie Chaser
Smallie Chaser
PRO MEMBER User since 7/13/01

I breaded and froze some perch fillets. Now I want to bake them. Should I thaw them out first, or can I just put them in the oven frozen? Not sure how they will turn out.

Displaying 16 to 22 of 22 posts
12/11/18 @ 9:38 AM
HotPockeT
User since 3/18/11

If you guys haven't yet you need to try Andys and Andys red. I will personally never use shore lunch again after using these.  No egg wash or milk needed.  Just toss around in a Ziploc bag until lightly coated.  Ill never go back

12/11/18 @ 9:27 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

As Bugle said, good oil and proper temperature are important in quality deep fried fish. The breading used and method of breading the fillet are of equal importance. Paper towel dry the fillets, dip in a light egg/milk wash and coat in the breading. Any flour based breading will coat heavy and thus soak up oil and not crisp up well. I use a combination of Shore Lunch Cornmeal, Golden Dipt general purpose breading and cornmeal in equal proportions for breading fish. Maintain 350 degrees for your oil, don’t overload the cooker and then lose too much oil temp to effectively fry and get good results. A thermometer is a must for checking oil temp. 

12/11/18 @ 8:10 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

If you fry them in a good quality oil and at the right temp, they shouldn't be soaked in oil.

12/10/18 @ 10:09 AM
Smallie Chaser
Smallie Chaser
PRO MEMBER User since 7/13/01

I ate these Friday night, and they were good.

Baked them on a wire rack over a foil lined cookie sheet @ 450 degrees.

they weren't real crisp, but better than being soaked with oil.

I would do it this way again.

11/4/18 @ 11:15 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I would bake them from a frozen state. In not once they begin to thaw the breading will absorb moisture from the fillet. I would place them on a wire rack to allow heat and air to pass around them to quickly draw the moisture away and prevent a soggy spot if the fillet were to lay flat on a baking sheet. How edible they will be was likely determined by how dry the fillet was when it was breaded along with how fast they froze. Freezing slow would of allowed the breading to pull moisture from the fillet and then not crisp up well when baking. Deep frying would take away the moisture quicker than baking and give a crispier fillet. 

Displaying 16 to 22 of 22 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE