MORE
Musky Fishing

home made baits vs store bought?

9/23/14 @ 12:18 PM
INITIAL POST
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10
just recently started about a year ago making our own bucktails. Very educational!! You can make any color, shape, size from deer hair to feathers and blades galore! Yes there is the right time to use blades etc.. dont get me wrong I do fish with store bought baits such as a bulldawg, but the gratification of catching a monster on something you made is pretty cool. this fish was on a blade yes there was a happy dance on that one!!
Displaying 61 to 75 of 127 posts
4/4/18 @ 12:31 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

Thank you! I know those fish have been eating good and also pre-spawn. Was interesting to find out from one of their biologists  that the 40.50 & 42.50 were fin clipped on the left pectoral fin on both. Found out they were stocked in 2011/12 making them only 6-7 years old!!

4/1/18 @ 8:55 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
Nice! That last one looks real girthy too!
4/1/18 @ 7:46 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

Having a great weekend down at Cave Run staying at Tony Grants place what an awesome time!! Got 4 fish today, pulled a hat trick for the first time ever!! Nothing on Saturday but today look out!! Second cast of the morning I got a 34in, then a 39.50, 40.50, and to finish the day of with a 42.50.

home made baits vs store bought? photo by ice queen
3/31/18 @ 9:35 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

Oh I know also have my small bucket of tools with!! Including a nip-x hook cutters for when I get that hook in my finger again LOL!! Have a mouth spreaders and a long pliers as well.

3/31/18 @ 6:04 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky

IQ,

Don't forget those release tools when fishing from shore.  I made that mistake once when I took my son for a real quick....."let's take a few casts from shore."  I only had a small pair of pliers, no net, no hookouts, and no wire cutter.  I ended up catching a 45", approx 25lber that I had to hand land off the broken rocky shoreline, then unhook it with the small needle nose.  I never made that mistake again.

3/30/18 @ 6:37 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

Those were a custom color I did for a friend down here. I think I’m going to make myself this same color have had a few people order them.

Did raise 2 fish from shore tonight after we got done eating dinner. That got my musky fever going!!

3/30/18 @ 4:40 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky

IQ,

Are you fishing with those yourself at Cave Run?  Quite the contrast of colors.  We've caught some big fish on that pinkish color before.

3/29/18 @ 7:31 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

Some “Kentucky” wonder bread colors heading down to Cave Run Kentucky!! 

3/20/18 @ 3:23 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

I “almost “ did that with my husbands ponytail!!! Glad I’m not the only crazy thinking one out there!!!  Glad you didn’t use anything below the belt so to speak!!!!  

3/20/18 @ 12:57 PM
Carp King
User since 8/7/01

I grew one spot of hair for an entire winter, clipped it off, and made some bucktails out of my own hair (dark brown)

I gave one to a guy at work and he caught a northern with it.

Anyone got me beat?

3/6/18 @ 1:12 PM
Budman
User since 8/17/01

Way to go, Lorie! Congrats!

3/3/18 @ 7:44 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

Yahoo!! Made the magazine this year, nice article and a good recognition!!

THANK YOU!! Muskie’s inc.

2/26/18 @ 7:05 AM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

Finally had some time to get a few bucktails done!  Did a triple blade with night vision tape that one I’m called “Kentucky shad” 

The colored one is for a customer he wanted it to look like the “hard” bait picture he sent me.  That one he wanted to call “spinner shad”. I think I nailed it with the colors, with red & purple stripes.

12/21/17 @ 11:10 AM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

Well it is with a heavy heart musky fishing is done for this season:(   But, it was a fantastic year for myself and my husband. This sport can never get old!!! Have met a lot of great people this year, with a few “ newbies” hope will get interested in musky fishing next year. 

Have a very Merry Christmas and prosperous New Years!!

12/16/17 @ 10:01 PM
ice queen
ice queen
User since 12/16/10

Can’t wait for this show was very good last year!!

Displaying 61 to 75 of 127 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE