LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Walleye guide and best places to go ice fishing for them?

1/21/19 @ 8:54 AM
INITIAL POST
Basspro05
Basspro05
User since 12/8/08

The best walleye guides and best places to go for walleye?

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
1/22/19 @ 2:46 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

I will concede to Fishound on Erie. I didn't do much research if any on the year class studies done by the DNR there. I guess I just used logic from most other lakes, where you see the size dwindle because of over harvest.  When judging A Great Lake I should do more research as they don't behave like inland lakes.. 

1/22/19 @ 1:19 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

While I am normally very impressed by AWichman's knowledge on many different bodies of water his take on Lake Erie is completely wrong. While the average size has dropped it is primarily because we fished the 2003 record year class for so long, those fish should now be expired.

Any DNR employee and fish Biologist around Lake Erie will tell you NOT to release the larger fish, make room for the more productive / up and coming year classes. "They make fine table fare and should be harvested" is usually what you get told when you ask.

This is especially true right now with the lake jam packed with fish and low shiner numbers. In fact, the guys I'm taking to are saying a summer limit increase from 6 to 8 is being considered this year and possibly even up to 10 next year.

This from last falls trawling reports:

The walleye young-of-year index was the second-highest ever recorded in Ohio at 112 walleye per hectare compared to the 20-year average of 27 per hectare,” biologist Travis Hartman, the division’s Lake Erie fish management program administrator, reported last week. “Only 2003 was higher. We now have two of the top three classes over the past 20 years within a four-year period"

1/22/19 @ 12:59 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Ah.  Missed that.  Apologies.

But...plenty of eyes through the ice around GB, too.  It is an amazing fishery.

1/22/19 @ 12:40 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

This is in the Ice Fishing forum so I was assuming he meant ice fishing, spring fishing brings up MANY more options.

Saginaw Bay is another great numbers place, but can be dangerous travel too. We have had good trips and poor ones, but that's fishing.

1/22/19 @ 9:34 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Look up TRG Outdoors.  TRG Outdoors website

Walleye fishing, spring time, in Green Bay and area tributaries.  Ryan Grant is the captain and he is excellent at putting you on numbers of fish and giant fish.  While you don't necessarily "need" a guide, grab one and learn the techniques that put fish in the boat when the "masses" aren't getting many.  It is money well spent.  No joke, you can have a hundred fish evening or morning up there with the chance of getting multiple big fish.

1/22/19 @ 8:22 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

Lake of the Woods. Zipple Bay Resort. Amazing fishing. No guide needed.

1/21/19 @ 9:08 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Saginaw Bay is a great option that is guaranteed ice pretty much every year. Lake Winnipeg is another, that trip can get pricey with everything involved.

Lake Erie has been mentioned already.  A couple things with Erie is the i unpredictable ice, and after going there the last 10 years I’ve seen the size go down. You used to almost be guaranteed at least one over 10lbs now those are becoming fewer and farther between. The fisheries may not run out of walleye but the size has been affected by everyone taking their limit of big fish. 

1/21/19 @ 4:08 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

When it freezes Erie is the place to be, just doesn't happen often enough.

The other place would be Lake Winnipeg, that freezes every year and has great Walleye fishing.

If you've ever been to either place you'll quickly realize there are no other places.

1/21/19 @ 4:01 PM
REBel Fishing
User since 7/7/16

Any professional ice guide on Lake Erie. No place like.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE