MORE
Ice Fishing

Tip Downs

1/18/16 @ 2:20 PM
INITIAL POST
svfisherman00
svfisherman00
User since 11/5/14
We were fishing out at Devils Lake State park and we lost one tip down rod and we broke another. We have the Sure Strike Tip Downs. Anybody know where I can get 2 more rods about 32 inches in length? Thanks.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 57 posts
3/9/18 @ 8:30 AM
surf n turf
PRO MEMBER User since 1/31/07

Mr. S go to tip down.com. Takes you to there sight. Made in Wis. I have used these for along time. Blast catching fish on them. They  have great service and ship fast

3/8/18 @ 10:33 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Where can I buy some decent tip downs? Innovative tipdowns is not available anywhere, sure strikes are not available. I want to buy some but no one will sell any to me.

2/12/18 @ 1:21 PM
opay617
User since 1/10/12

The group I fish with use these tips downs.  They work pretty well and are very convenient to store.

https://www.tipdown.com/

2/12/18 @ 9:36 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

One thing you can do too if you are using a reasonable size hole.  I run a 5 inch hole.  I make the rod balance pin 5.25 long.  It doesn't get in the way,  and I don't have to use a rope on the rod.  No matter how big the fish is,  he's not pulling that rod in the hole.

CrappieGuy,  you are the tip down king.  I just don't like PVC.  personal preference. 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=will+PVC+get+brittle

will it happen in 8 hours of fishing,  no.  However on cold days when the bases freeze in,  I'll put my money on cedar or oak to take the abuse.  Like I said,  Just my preference.

2/10/18 @ 4:28 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

After watching  FishNdude's rod get taken down the hole reciently by a nice pike that bit on a 1 1/2 inch crappie minnow, I'd recommend always having the rod attached by a line to the base. FD went home and put lines on his, only takes a few min. 

Amazingly, hours later, I also also hooked a strong pike on the small flathead. Handed the rod to bass Abductor, he managed to land the 30 inch fat female on 4 lb test. We found another hook and line in its mouth. FishNdude pulled and pulled on the line thru a weed bed and lo and behold, his rod came up the hole! We just about fell down laughing after high fives all around. 

Anyway, I remember 2 times my rod would have gone down the hole without the line attached

2/9/18 @ 12:19 PM
crappieguy
User since 2/11/02

The PVC tip downs are every bit as good as the wood and better exact same design fold up flat the same way almost exactly the same .   I don’t understand what you have against the PVC.  They are just as durable if not more

2/8/18 @ 8:42 PM
newoodhntr
newoodhntr
PRO MEMBER User since 12/11/01

I painted mine orange so they can be seen and added a brace so they don’t collapse and lose the pole. 

2/8/18 @ 9:46 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I'd buy 3 today if he was still making out of wood.

My tip down's now are basically a copy of his design,  I made them.  right down to the 13/64th pin.  actually I don't know for sure.  lol.

I will not buy a pcv tip down though.  I don't buy the "soak up water" bit.  Stain the wood twice and you'll never have an issue.  wood will last longer than pvc,  believe it.

2/8/18 @ 8:13 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Just got my CrappieGuy tipdowns in the mail yesterday. I've had friends make them. Watched them mess around with the design and balance all day on the lake. For the time and effort it's not worth the headache. I like to make my own stuff as much as I can but for 22 bucks it's not worth it. Drop him a line at the number he provided here. You'll have them in a few days, ready to fish right out of the box. Nice clean setup. 

2/1/18 @ 2:07 PM
crappieguy
User since 2/11/02

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.  Sorry I recently moved to the eastern side of the state and have not been on here in a while.  Busy working on the house now that I'm retired. 

I'm still making Tip Downs, you can call or text me 715-379-2376.  Again thanks for the great reviews.

Tip Downs photo by crappieguy
2/1/18 @ 1:57 PM
crappieguy
User since 2/11/02

Yes I am still selling them, but the frames are now PVC, same design but no more wet wooden frames to dry out.

11/21/17 @ 9:46 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

just buy the rods and make your own stands. also no safety rope on mine, never lost a rod.

11/21/17 @ 10:51 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07
Anyone know if crappieguy is still selling tip downs?  I messaged him a while ago but haven't heard anything back.  Might try the sure strikes from fleet farm if he stopped selling them. 
2/17/17 @ 9:33 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

Dropped check in mail to crappieguy on last Saturday. Got my new tip downs on Wednesday. Got a bunch of perch with them today 

1/26/17 @ 10:29 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Crappies' Tip downs come with a cord attached to the rod. The fish can't pull them in. That is of course if you use the cord. I have a buddy that didn't use it and lost the rod. He also doesn't put a pin through the hole to lock the hitch on his trailer. That should tell you something....... Mrt.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 57 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE