The ION Files (Battery operated Ice Auger)

12/19/13 @ 12:23 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I have an attachment for my cordless drill so I can attach my 6" Lazer auger to it. I believe the drill is an 18 volt. I get a good number of holes out of it but nothing like the Ion drills. I know that the batteries in the Ions are different in design as they appear to not lose power when cold like my drill batteries do. However, all batteries have a finite life. Is the battery in the Ion drills replaceable as they age and lose charge faster? How much do the batteries cost?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 83 Posts
1/9/19 @ 6:36 PM
gray fox
gray fox
MEMBER since 2/22/08

Check out Lake link Classified for like new Ion 8 inch auger and extras. 

Ice ?? fishing

Post Your Comment
1/9/19 @ 1:15 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

Anybody know where you can get the 5 amp battery?. Fleet has been out . They suck at restocking. Thanks. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
1/8/19 @ 5:14 PM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01

Picked up an ION at Menards this afternoon. Regular price $449.99

Sale price   $429.99

11% mail in rebate $47.30

_______________

Final price $  382.69

Now bring on some cold weather!!

Post Your Comment
1/2/19 @ 9:53 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

Used my dad's ion X this past weekend. They sure are nice pieces of equipment but it is amazing how spoiled you get using a drill combo. The Ion felt like a ton of bricks. I remember thinking how light the ion was the first time I used it after going from a gas unit. All about your perception and what you're comparing things to.

Side note - the ION x's had an issue with their auger bit when they first came out and I knew they were replacing the defective bits, but I didn't know they were letting people keep the old bits. My dad had the original 10" bit just laying around. Only thing wrong with it from what I remember is the blades icing up more than they should.

Post Your Comment
1/1/19 @ 9:47 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

I've had an ION for 5 years. Has started on the first push every time! Awesome machine on the ice.

Post Your Comment
12/31/18 @ 6:17 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER since 7/17/09

Thanks Tim for the insight on the gen 1 and gen 2 Ions! 

So far so good on the Ion. Really easy to use and doesnt take up much space in the sled. At 22lbs, pretty lightweight as well.

$449 is a great price at Menards . Even better if you can hit the 11% rebate. Most outlets are selling at $479-499. 

Edited on 12/31/18 6:21 PM
Post Your Comment
12/31/18 @ 8:21 AM
rikj
rikj
USER since 7/29/01

Thinking of making the switch to battery? I noticed Menards has them for $449.00, that seems to be a pretty good price. Any thoughts?

Model # 19150 (I guess that would be gen1)

Post Your Comment
12/17/18 @ 8:30 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

Fowler2 you have a generation one Ion.  They still manufacture and sell the gen 1.  Differneces in Gen1 vs Gen 2 are:

Gen 1 - 3 Amp hour battery, in an 8" configuration rated at about 1000 inches of ice. 

Gen 2 - 5 Amp hour battery, same charger, same powerhead, handle bars on Gen2 a tad narrower to get into corners, added LED lights to powerhead to shine into hole, has a black cast bottom on cutting flight with a point which allows you to get a more efficient cut being able to be rated at 1600 inches of ice in an 8" configuration.

The powerheads are the same between the two units.  Both the batteries and auger flights are interchangeable between the two units.  Both are great augers, I've had both.

Post Your Comment
12/15/18 @ 10:19 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER since 7/17/09

I joined the ION revolution this season. New unit purchased at Gander Outdoors. Not sure what generation it would be considered. I was unaware they have been around as long as they have. Ditched the gas augers a season or two ago. 

The ION is truly awesome. Used it a few times already. This unit has the reverse. I see that beneficial when ice depth really increases. 

Buddy has the Strikemaster 40v which is also a solid unit. Tad bit pricier 

As the batteries are rather pricey, going into the purchase that was my only concern. 

Posted pic of a new unit. Any visible changes compared to a older generation?  

Edited on 12/15/18 10:28 AM
Post Your Comment
12/14/18 @ 8:16 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

Year 6 on the ION battery. Still going strong.

It has not let me down once. That's incredible. 6 years on the ice. Probably almost 2000 holes. Started every time. That's something that you just can't beat.

I have the 10 inch bit which I like for early ice. When the ice gets over 18 inches, I prefer the 8 inch bit better since it gives much longer battery life and cuts a lot more pure. 

Any other ION owners out there? How are things going? I know they've upgraded, so what I have might be even better now. But, I'm very pleased. Oftentimes when a product first arrives, there are headaches. No headaches here with the 1st edition ION for me.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 83 Posts