The ION Files (Battery operated Ice Auger)

12/19/13 @ 1:23 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
I have an attachment for my cordless drill so I can attach my 6" Lazer auger to it. I believe the drill is an 18 volt. I get a good number of holes out of it but nothing like the Ion drills. I know that the batteries in the Ions are different in design as they appear to not lose power when cold like my drill batteries do. However, all batteries have a finite life. Is the battery in the Ion drills replaceable as they age and lose charge faster? How much do the batteries cost?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 73 Posts
12/25/16 @ 10:37 AM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

Cold weather is hard on any battery.  We recommend not leaving your battery in your auger laying on the ice, but instead pull the battery out and keep it in the warm house. The Ion battery is a lithium battery and has no memory, and is good for 850 cycles.

Post Your Comment
12/23/16 @ 12:23 AM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

I'm on Year 4 for my ION battery. Still works well. Probably not what it was when I first got, it, but still going strong. 

Post Your Comment
12/22/16 @ 9:53 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15

Menards had them on sale for 469 plus 11% percent rebate. If I didn't have a pro4, I'd be buying one

Post Your Comment
12/22/16 @ 6:03 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

Even if I get only 3 years out of the batteries, it is worth it. No gas smells and no more pulling on the starter rope. I wonder how many rotators have been dinged if not damaged when an old cold shoulder has to do a few rips? Probably not for everyone but so far , so good. Mrt. 

Post Your Comment
12/20/16 @ 7:25 PM
Bambi203
Bambi203
USER since 12/20/16

Replacement batteries are 150 Dollars at fleet farm and cabelas

Post Your Comment
12/17/16 @ 4:49 PM
CCA
CCA
USER since 6/19/01

I just ordered the Ion 8", look forward to getting it. Sick of gas powered auger. Also like the reverse for hole flush and attachment for shooting in the cleats of my shack!

Post Your Comment
12/5/16 @ 5:21 PM
ifishwi
ifishwi
USER since 1/12/05

Just bringing thread back to top, good reading for anyone interested. No, I don't work for Artisan, just know someone with ION and I was impressed when I tried it.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 10:59 AM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01
Still love my Ion. In the last 5 trips I have watched guys nearby struggle with their gas augers. Some started badly, some must have been very dull and one kept conking out. It took them a lot more time and effort than the Ion. I know that a gas drill that has been taken care of is a good piece of equipment but these guys must not have a clue. I would have offered to help but they seemed to eventually get it done. All the racket seemed to get the fish moving. At least on Pettenwell. Mrt.

Post Your Comment
1/31/16 @ 7:37 PM
920tdw
920tdw
MEMBER since 12/22/09
I use a soft lunch pack holds 2 battiers I place 2 large heat tabs in bottom first. Drill holes remove battery keep warm is the key

Post Your Comment
1/30/16 @ 9:04 AM
gforce
gforce
MEMBER since 8/12/01
I have used silicone and Dupont Teflon Snow & Ice Repellent and it does help a little but I still have ice buildup on the fins. I guess I'll just use my rubber mallet.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 73 Posts