SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Spring Bobber or Noodle Rod?

11/12/18 @ 8:13 PM
INITIAL POST
PRyan
User since 9/30/17

I'm going with Spring Bobbers from now on.     I'm tired of broken rod tips and for me anyway, have not seen an advantage.

Your thoughts?

Pat

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
11/18/18 @ 4:41 PM
Bull Gill
User since 2/7/02

I use a spring bobber these days had 5 eye surgeries so I need the dam thing best is the tight line method if ya can see the line next would be the line with a wave spring crimp but the newer lines don't have enough memory for this , can't sight fish it kills my back clear water . was tight lining back in the late 70's was in the know for ice fishing till a few years ago still can outfish most without electronic.s and better than 70 percent with em........start with a spring and work toward tight line clear water site fishing is hard to beat................  

11/15/18 @ 2:31 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Fish clear water and to heck with all other methods. It's awesome to watch fish come in and stare and then inhale the bait. If I have to fish dirty water, I will use a Schooley at times. But my Thorne Brothers Finesse Plus or Sweet Pea will detect bites just fine. But sight fishing beats all others.

11/15/18 @ 2:17 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

AAH!! , USAB ... Brings back a lot of old memories. In the dark ages "sixties" we found the old mono held a pretty good memory. A favorite tool was the pencil. a bunch of loops around it did the trick. WE messed around with piano wire and sewing thread, sucked in the wind,was never a fan.

Then came the 8 strand wire leader with a hook on one end and loop on the other. We would cut off about 3 to 4 inches on the loop end and tape to the rod tip. In its day it caught a lot of gills, crappies, and perch for us. Probably, still would be effective in this day and age under the right conditions

11/15/18 @ 12:18 PM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

"Learn how to tightline and you don’t need either."

Fished with an old timer who used to kink his line a bit between his fingers. line goes taught, boom, fish on.

11/15/18 @ 11:51 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Jaybeeturtle - I'd agree pulling in a pike on a true noodle would be challenging, but the power noodles that seem to be gaining popularity have no problem hauling in bigger fish. Within reason of course. The backbone is as solid as any other rod I own. I used mine with the iFish pro a few times last year just for fun. Never caught a pike bigger than mid-upper 20's with it, but it handled those just fine. I even used it on the bay for whitefish, which was a pain jigging that deep with a jigging rap, but was a blast once you had them hooked! Was more worried about the light line than the rod in both scenarios...

+1 on the ticklestick in light or even UL for spoons and jiggins raps. Initially bought mine for jigging, but it can't handle 3mm jigs like a true noodle or spring bobber. I keep it rigged up with a spoon now and it works great for that.

11/15/18 @ 6:12 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Thanks UF. Should have thought to do that in the first place. Some good YouTube vids to be found...

11/14/18 @ 9:29 AM
UFCreel
User since 1/4/11

madforlabs- Just google, Attaching Strong Titanium Spring Bobbers. There are several different ways to do it.

11/13/18 @ 10:10 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I don’t know how many big bass and pike  I’ve caught on little panfish jigs while fishing for gills. I prefer spring bobbers because I really don’t think I could land a 32 inch pike or even a 21 inch bass with a noodle rod. Not saying it’s never been done, but....

11/13/18 @ 12:37 PM
markrazzy
User since 6/23/09
It's all going to come down to personal preference. I've basically only used St. Croix spring bobbers for my gills and crappies with my tungsten jigs for almost 10 years. It's what I'm used to and what I excel with. 80% of the time, it probably doesn't matter either way. I just like to see those negative bites when I need to... Some like to feel it or see the line twitch. Figure out what you like best and figure out what cadences and jigs work for what you like to do. I don't even think I use any St. Croix rods, I just put their spring bobber setups onto other rods that I like. 
11/13/18 @ 11:39 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

There are rods that allow you to see/feel bites.

11/13/18 @ 10:28 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

After switching to a power noodle, i'll never go back to spring bobbers. If you are going the spring bobber route, spending at least $10 on a bobber is well worth it, anything less than that and they are likely garbage. Frabill titaniums were the best one I used. There's another brand out there that are supposed to be really good as well, can't remember what they were though.

All comes down to preference.  

11/13/18 @ 9:57 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

I've been using the HT-WSB1 spring bobber for many years now. Instead of attaching with a shrink tube I use a small rubber grommet found at most hardware stores. You will find the spring willl fit rather loosely in the grommet. BY expanding the back 3 or 4 coils and bending the back tip of the spring up about 1/8" and threading into the grommet from the back. I find the spring never comes out.

The Berkley Amp series works great using this application. There are many other rods you can use it on, just a matter of matching a rod tip with a grommet.

11/13/18 @ 9:00 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

I'm not a fan of the noodles, although its been a while since I used them. Seems like every rod made in the early 90's was a HT noodle. I don't like the lack of backbone. I've been running either a St Croix Legend with their spring, an old Avid with a Teeters Pig or my Elk River UL pan fish with nothing.

Spring bobbers to me are the way to go. I did get a new St Croix Custom Ice last weekend that I'll give a try to, but if that isn't sensitive enough, I'll probably sell it.

11/13/18 @ 8:45 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06
I've had good luck with ice blue noodle rods.  I like the simplicity of not having anything extra on tip. 
11/13/18 @ 7:41 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

UFC,  how do you attach this spring bobber to your rod tip?  Website doesn't show much detail.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE