MORE
Ice Fishing

Jiffy Pro 4 lite

1/16/14 @ 7:16 AM
INITIAL POST
Point Muskie Hunter
Point Muskie Hunter
User since 1/28/13
My strikemaster honda broke and doesn't work so can anyone tell me about how good the new jiffy pro 4 lite works.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 30 posts
2/4/18 @ 9:18 AM
nbaker2
nbaker2
User since 3/6/09

I've had a factory demo for 2 years and so far so good. If it is really cold a few pulls to start, after that 2nd pull everytime.  Only issue I've had is the blades icing up in extreme cold, a guy with an ion had the same issue though.

2/4/18 @ 7:06 AM
critterhouse75
User since 2/12/15

had one since they were introduced . first year replaced power head..

no complaints until yesterday...i believe the clutch or transmission broke. rattles like crazy and when trying to pull start the auger turns.. getting an Ion today.. had to fight with Jiffy over the power head.. Ive had enough   

1/26/18 @ 12:04 PM
Birdizzle
User since 1/27/12

LeviM.....I took mine to John's Saw Service near Neenah on Clayton Ave, he had to get a special tuning tool from Jiffy to tweak the carburetor, apparently they have made it so you can only tune the new carburetors with this special tool.  He had it fixed in a few minutes once the tool arrived, it runs awesome now........I drilled about 30 holes with it last week, it ran great!

1/20/18 @ 11:13 PM
LeviM
LeviM
PRO MEMBER User since 2/25/12

Birdizle, I had the same problem with a brand new pro 4 last year.  Took it to a bait shop in Oshkosh and had it repaired under warranty. It was exactly the same when I picked it up. Took it to two other service places and got the same info from everyone. Runs like a pos. I ended up selling it. Never had that issue with the two others I own. (Both are older.). 

1/15/18 @ 11:42 PM
920tdw
User since 12/22/09

I had a jiffy propane Very heavy, But worked great, But theres water in the propane ! So  change the oil every time you use it. 

1/5/18 @ 9:21 AM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03

Sandbar, I have a Pro4 that had the same issue. Turned out to be how I was setting it down on the ice or in the truck. With a 4 stroke,  oil can drain back into and through the engine. You need to keep the carb side up when laying it down. When I first saw the oil I started laying it down with the oil fill hole up which turned out to be the wrong way.

It does state this in the manual but I never remember reading that part when I first got it. Mine is not the newer lite model but I bet its the same problem.

When on the ice I usually just drill a 1\2 hole and leave it standing upright. Best auger I've ever owned, never one other issue.

1/4/18 @ 12:07 PM
Birdizzle
User since 1/27/12

Drilled some holes with my "new" Jiffy Pro 4 Lite "Demo model" last night, there is a target zone on the throttle of about 1/16" to get enough power to drill, any more throttle it will die....any less it won't drill.  The service guys at Jiffy/Feldman are telling me I likely need a carb adjustment, possible running too rich, I can either return it to them or take to a service center.  Seems like a pretty simple adjustment but I'm not sure if I should be taking the carb apart myself to find the right screw to adjust given it's on warranty.  It's definitely no the idle screw.  Anyone know anything about these propane engine carburetors?

1/4/18 @ 11:47 AM
sandbarcornhole
User since 12/2/14

I have a Jiffy 4G-lite, and it has a small oil leak.  Before I take it in, is this something anyone else has heard and can I fix it myself.  I don't get to ice fish often, so not looking to invest $400 plus on an upgrade because I won this in a raffle.  Thoughts?  Thank you for the help.

1/3/18 @ 2:26 PM
voldie
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/11

I have had mine for a few years now. The only problem I have had was the timing belt. Once I replaced it no problems. Mine has always cut back at full throttle, I guess I just learned no need to run at full throttle. Fish every weekend and usually can go a whole season on 2 to 3 tanks and I do drill quite a few holes every time out. As far as ice build up I run it after taking out of the fresh hole to spin water off of the blades and never lay it down on the snow. I put the blade cover back on. 

1/3/18 @ 11:08 AM
FISH CRIBS
User since 10/5/15

Mine is 2 yrs old and love it!   Rowtroll - a little tip,  spray a good silicone on the blades

1/3/18 @ 10:19 AM
Birdizzle
User since 1/27/12

I just bought a Demo model for $229 from the factory, mainly because it's 13 lbs lighter than my 25 year old Model 30 and I don't like the cloud of 2-cycle exhaust in my Bigfoot XL after I drill the holes.  I assembled and added the oil as instructed but had a hard time starting it at first.....as I recently used my buddy's Pro 4 Lite which requires the throttle be held wide open to start.  Figured out after my arm turned to rubber that it starts on 1 pull with no throttle, it then idles perfectly....however, if I go beyond half throttle it will quit running.  I'm not sure if it's at max RPMs at half(ish) throttle, but it's concerning that the thing just dies with too much throttle....has anyone else experienced or heard of this?  I have been reading forums and it seems there is a break-in period for these, so I'm hoping that is the issue.....if not, is there an adjustment I can make or anything I should be checking that may be assembled incorrectly in the carb?  Thanks.

12/27/16 @ 4:48 PM
rowtroll
User since 9/22/10

Just bought a demo model from the factory last week. Bought a propane cylinder on the way up north and drilled away all weekend. Only complaint is the 8" ice chipper auger froze solid the second day. Had to break ice off of it every couple holes. Although it was 14° below zero. 

12/25/16 @ 10:48 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I would seriously look at the Eskimo Hc-40 propane if that's the way you want to go. It was designed as a propane motor from the ground up, it is not a gasoline motor converted to propane. Jiffy learned when  you convert a gasser to propane, they burn hotter and lose about 25% of their HP. The Hc-40 is ahigb compression lightweight 40cc motor. It has stainless steel gears, an aluminum transmission housing, no plastic housing or brass bushings in its transmission. It is definitely worth the look.

12/24/16 @ 1:22 PM
nbaker2
nbaker2
User since 3/6/09

Just bought one, so far seems to work well, about 4-5 pulls to start when you put the new LP tank on, after that 1-2 pulls and it starts.  

12/21/16 @ 5:54 PM
voldie
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/11

I had the same issue with my Jiffy Pro 4 lite. It was just a month past the warranty and they offered me the same. I found out from someone at Jiffy that the motor on the Pro 4 Lite is the same as the Honda GX35. I ordered a timing belt on line. If I remember correctly the cost was around 7 dollars plus shipping. I tore the motor down and replaced the belt myself. Runs perfect now. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 30 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE