MORE
Ice Fishing

Jaw jacker / auto fisherman

1/8/18 @ 8:17 AM
INITIAL POST
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

Anyone using the jaw jacker? How does it compare to the auto fisherman? Pro's, con's, if you were going to purchase another one which one would you get?

Thx.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
2/19/18 @ 9:36 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

Well this is what I came up with. Verse piling them all into a pail. Used it a couple weekends and packing up and unpacking has been pretty efficient. Rods/lines not tangled Up, triggers not hooking on other triggers, etc.

Going to make another for six auto bases and a separate buck for rods. Just need to find more 7gal buckets. 

1/30/18 @ 9:14 AM
Team Bluegill
User since 2/13/05

I have ran autos, jackers and ice heaves.  The ice heave had a trout on and it pulled the base and rod down the hole gone forever.  The jacker worked but after half a year the arm broke.  Tried to call and get a replacement and never heard back.  Autos bases are holding up great.  I did have any issue with a few rods breaking awhile back but when I called auto fisherman they were replaced no questions asked.  That's what sold me on autos is they stand behind their product.  I now have 6 bases and a pile of rods setup up for different types of fish.  I have caught everything from crappie to trout on them.  I also am intrigued by autos new snapper looks nice and compact and priced right.

1/30/18 @ 8:36 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

Made the decision, running all automatic fisherman. But as I noticed right away, they're kind of clunky, hard to pack up/ haul around. Is there something like the Beaver Dam holsters/ organizer out on the market? It's nice when the kids are with I can carry 11 BD's with one bucket, all in individual spots. As of now I can fit three bases and three poles per bucket, neatly. 

Has anyone found something, figured out or created a convenient way to haul a few auto fisherman? 

And yes, I know, looks like I should've waited to make the change next year and went with the auto fisherman snapper when they come out. Dam! Just seen them a couple days after I bought. Lol..

1/21/18 @ 10:08 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I got one of these at Cabelas the other day and they are half the price.  Probably a reason why they cost half as much as an auto, or jaw jacker, but i think it'll still do the trick, at least for panfish.  Probably doesn't have as much strength as an auto or jaw jacker, but I mainly fish panfish.  I've had an auto for years but don't use it that often. 

Anyone else try one of these (see picture, and link to Cabelas where they sell them).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/HT-HOOKMASTER-HOOK-SETSYSTEM/2558703.uts?productVariantId=5322835&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04880809&rid=20&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkZHTBRCBARIsAMbXLhHcYZDAKk7-aXmPWZbG_F7H1UvQnduCXj465i_hiL7GZwXbYZLnfyMaAiT4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

1/20/18 @ 11:04 PM
LeviM
LeviM
PRO MEMBER User since 2/25/12

I’ve used the auto fisherman’s for the last two seasons. I did not buy the kit which includes rod. Purchased Berkley med action rods 26” and spooled with 8lb mono. I’ve only used single hooks, no trebles. Took a little adjusting to get the “trigger” metal tab to the right spot where it would set without having to be tearing out lips. Also, I usually set the “bobber” timer thing almost down to the ice for two reasons. One is the wind has a tendency to blow it which will raise the bait, secondly that extra 14” of line lets a fish take it before it sets the hook. I had a lot of trouble with misses at first until I got drags set just right and that pin figured out. I love the things now. 

1/20/18 @ 8:16 PM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

Ok. Bought one of each.

Been running them for a couple days. What in the he!! are you guys using for a "hook set up"? I run a 20" long leader, 6 and 8 pound flu, #10 treble hook or a #6 single, and med golds for browns. Missed two?

Same set up for norts, just 20# flu leaders, and #8 treb or a #6 single with large golds. Missed three today? (Single hooks are wide gap)? 

And far as drag? 

One fish today bounced the rod a couple times, heard a little drag and off?

Would really appreciate some helpful info. Thanks. Fowl.

1/9/18 @ 7:38 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

dbuch, so the trigger mechanism icing up is the only problem. But no breaking or stripping out parts? I like all the adjustability of the JJ, Just was wondering if it causes more grief or parts to break. Thanks for the info.

1/8/18 @ 3:39 PM
dbuchmann
dbuchmann
User since 2/17/05

Been using Jaw Jackers for a few years and no complaints.  Have caught crappie up to brown trout on them depending on the rod I put in it.  The latch mechanism does ice up if you get water on it (fish splashing etc) if its really cold but a shot of de icer fixes it.  

1/8/18 @ 9:03 AM
jtfishon24/7
User since 1/15/17

I would recommend the Finicky Fooler. It does not set the hook, but your bail is left open for the fish to freespool. I've been using them with the new hole cover they have as well. It's a great system for all species including panfish and it's less expensive than the JJ or AF.

finickyfooler.com

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE