MORE
Ice Fishing

Ice Shanty Builds

10/18/18 @ 1:11 PM
INITIAL POST
CrapDaddySlayer77
CrapDaddySlayer77
User since 10/14/14
For the guys who have built their own shanty's. I am about to embark on my first pop-up camper to shanty conversion and would like to know if there are things you would have done differently or are glad that you did. I have ideas on how I am going to complete it, but would like some insight as well. Thanks for your time!
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
12/10/18 @ 2:01 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Regarding the drop down axle, yes, that would be a hefty price tag. But you can always avoid the cost and just use buckets or PVC as sleeves to block out the wind underneath. More lost fish probably but how much is that worth to you lol?

12/10/18 @ 12:38 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

I have a camper that is about the same size as yours that I will be converting. I plan on getting it and starting all over, putting the stove, furnace, seating, sink and beds where I want them. The sink would be for just warming water on the stove for washing up. A catch bucket would go under the sink. Lights will be LEDs. All of the electricals will be ran off of my boat batteries and I will have an on board charger. 

The biggest expense and most labor intensive part will be the drop down axle. I found a place in Minnesota that makes the entire unit. It's just a matter of removing the old one and welding the drop-down in. It can be raised/lowered manually or 12 screwjacks.

But yes, the weight makes it a "later in the season shack". The good part is I am making it for extended stays. No motel. 

12/10/18 @ 10:10 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I have no doubt there are quite a few out there. That sounds like a pretty big trailer though, so you might be limited as to where/when you can use it. But considering that's roughly Ice Castle size, there's an awful lot of potential for something that could be pretty sweet!

12/9/18 @ 9:08 PM
Walleye Guy 06
User since 2/11/16

Has anyone ever completely tore down a camper and used just the frame off it and build a shack? I’ve got a junk (roughly 8.5x14) hardside camper that had a leaky roof and ran down inside the walls. Obviously a lot of water damage to repair so I’ll just tear it down. Thinking of building another shack this summer. 

11/26/18 @ 9:43 PM
Walleye Guy 06
User since 2/11/16

I built one about 6-7 years ago and I haven’t used it much so I brought it back to life last year and fixed it up a bit. My roof was way to high so be careful with that otherwise they are too heavy and sway a lot. Those frames are meant to go highway speeds, while being low to the ground. I actually lowered my roof and ceiling. Just used 2x6’s and tapered both sides to about 2” with 5.5” in the middle. Also while the roof and ceiling was off I tacked plastic to the “rafters” put the plywood back on for the ceiling, insulation on top of the ceiling, then steel on the roof. Next, I insulated the short side walls and floors. I bought some cheap white 1” styrofoam and 1/4” plywood and sandwiched the foam to the outside walls and floor. Honestly this helped tremendously! Especially the floor! I remember water freezing to the floor before doing this! I have a construction heater, basically a glorified Mr. Heater that you can store a 20lb tank in the back of it. Even with my worn out plywood for sides I got it up to 108° while it was 15° out. For this winter I want to put something on my back bumper so when you get two guys in the back, it won’t pick the front of the shack up! Lol. I hope this helps!! 

11/5/18 @ 9:08 AM
Piperdown!
User since 8/10/18

Slayer77-

these were the before photos...

11/1/18 @ 8:25 AM
CrapDaddySlayer77
CrapDaddySlayer77
User since 10/14/14

Piper.. Did you go with 2x4's or steel studs? How did you attach your steel siding to the roof so there will not be any leaks? Is that just drywall on the interior? 

10/24/18 @ 8:39 AM
Piperdown!
User since 8/10/18

Mabe a bigger flat screen???

10/18/18 @ 1:31 PM
CrapDaddySlayer77
CrapDaddySlayer77
User since 10/14/14
Here is old Bethany lol.. She needs a little elbow grease, but for a first build I think it will work out just fine. 
10/18/18 @ 1:17 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Please post with pics as you move through this process. It's definitely something I'm interested in doing in the not too distant future (hopefully).

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE