MORE
Ice Fishing

Ice out predictions

2/8/18 @ 5:02 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I almost hesitate to start this thread....I don't want to think of ice out....but, we can turn this into a positive and dream of just how long ice may be on this year. Been a great year so far!

Displaying 30 to 44 of 95 posts
4/14/18 @ 7:38 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

So, the attached picture was taken on November 7. The first time I saw the ice on that lake was November 6th. 

To think that if we make it to May 6 with ice still on that lake, that’s six months of ice. That’s unbelievable! 

I have been saying for a while that April 20 would be the last day to possibly ice fish...I'm gladly changing that. 

I’ll say without a doubt people are ice fishing on opening day weekend. On a number of lakes. And our opener is even a bit later than most years this time. 

The last ice will probably be on Trout Lake/LVD/North Twin etc...about May 15. Not saying it’ll be fishable… But I’ll say you can still visibly see ice on May 15 on some of the lakes. 

USAbrams-love the picture! Wonder what the yard will look like after tomorrow night…

4/11/18 @ 8:19 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

"Fished just across the border today. U.P. Only 4 inches of snow on the lake. That always amazes me because there is  so much in the woods."

Look at my yard! LOL

4/10/18 @ 11:43 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Fished just across the border today. U.P. Only 4 inches of snow on the lake. That always amazes me because there is  so much in the woods. 

24 or so inches of good solid ice. I think opening day is no longer a question of if, but more a question of how many lakes will be available on the opener for ice fishing. I'd say more than the handful that we had a few years back. And if we get a lot of snow this weekend, it will only hold the ice longer. 

4/10/18 @ 10:28 AM
OO Buckshot
User since 10/4/05

I just looked at the weather forecast and looks like the temp for friday is dropping down sooner so they are calling for more snow instead of rain.  Pelican lake could see an additional 12-18" of snow by monday.  This is on top of the 12 they got last week.  When I was up fishing at the end of Feb there was over 30" of ice.  This aint going out anytime soon

4/10/18 @ 7:30 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

I measured a good 2' of ice with snow and hard pack on top of it up in Northern Vilas. There was open water by Palmer's landing (spring) and High Lake's landing was wide open.

Unless there's a ton of rain, wind and warm, odds are the 2nd weekend in May.

Ice out predictions photo by USAbrams1991
4/6/18 @ 10:29 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I was on the ice today and I was shocked at how good the access was. Ice is still hard and coming out in nice shavings, not even chunky yet. I might get out next Friday, with a little luck. That will be the latest I have ever ice fished.

4/6/18 @ 6:49 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

never at this rate!

4/6/18 @ 4:38 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I look forward to 2 or 3 more trips on the ice. I'll report conditions when I do. Certainly, everything could go quickly, but it will depend on sun and temps. Rain can be a factor too if it's over 45 -50 degrees. I've found cool rains to not do a lot of damage to the ice. 

Let's see, April 6th now...really cold. Nights very cold. No significant warm up until April 11th. Still below normal even then. Gotta melt the snow cover first. Looks like mid to late April is predicted to be generally in that 44-50 degree range with lows generally in the 20s. I fished on November 15th on the ice. Gonna be a really long season this year. Love it!

4/6/18 @ 3:14 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

You mean the Leo Frigo Memorial bridge?

Yeah that picture of the cabin was pretty nuts.

4/6/18 @ 10:01 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Green Bay ice got pretty smacked up buy the snow and wind storm last week. Modis shows big ice slabs shifting around from day to day. The news showed a Bay cabin by Union with ice crushing into the bedroom piling up on the bed. The pic is of the lower bay going over Tower Drive Bridge yesterday.

4/5/18 @ 7:07 PM
PikePro33
PikePro33
User since 2/8/10

I'm going to be heading up to Conover in 2 weeks to get my boat and put away snowmobiles.   Might have to keep the auger filled up for the opener... I really regret not doing it a few years ago.

On another note... If the shorelines open up do the walleye spawn in that warmer water?   I thought the last time we had late ice like this the natives griped that they had low spearing numbers due to shore spawning walleye and not being able to launch boats to spear.

4/4/18 @ 7:40 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

The opener is 1 month from tomorrow, unless there's something drastic, that opener will be frozen shut.

The next 5 days in Land O Lakes (According to NOAA/NWS)

Wed: High 26/Low 9

Thursday: High 34/Low 15

Friday: High 25/Low 6

Saturday: High 25/Low 5

Sunday: High 33/Low 16

That's December/January weather.

4/3/18 @ 10:12 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I started reading that thread. Interesting....

Another cold day. One day closer to the opener....

4/3/18 @ 7:51 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

We may actually be entering another ice age, n.pike. Check out the astute scientific observations noted under the “Global Cooling” thread in General Discussion. 

4/2/18 @ 6:52 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
Could be a very late ice out around hte midwest this year.  Two weeks aga I was fishing Lake Winnipeg, yes far north, but we had almost 5' of ice wowser is all I can say.
Displaying 30 to 44 of 95 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE