MORE
Ice Fishing

Ice out predictions

2/8/18 @ 5:02 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I almost hesitate to start this thread....I don't want to think of ice out....but, we can turn this into a positive and dream of just how long ice may be on this year. Been a great year so far!

Displaying 16 to 30 of 95 posts
4/25/18 @ 8:55 AM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
Ahh....I miss the days of putting in the pier and ShoreStation with my dad.  In the spring I would race off the school bus and sit on the dock and watch the big muskies cruise by paired up spawning.
4/25/18 @ 8:24 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

'I Have a trip planned to put in the piers on the 6th US.  Any chance you could bump up your prediction by two days? "

Sure, if you own a long bar chain saw. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm heading up for the opener, but have no clue when I'll be back in May to put the pier in. It's probably looking like the first week in June, unless I hire somebody.

4/24/18 @ 8:43 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

I Have a trip planned to put in the piers on the 6th US.  Any chance you could bump up your prediction by two days?  

4/23/18 @ 9:09 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

The cold nights have really helped stave off the effects of the warm up. 64 today I think. But 22 last night. I was walking in the woods down some trails and I saw something I couldn't believe. Some ice blocks were left over from a candlelight event way back in February. Unreal. Then, I tried running down the bike trail. Still snow covered and messy. Tried running across a wide open park. Snow. 

My point is, that this stuff is taking a long time to melt. Now, I do see a potential for 2 days of 70 with lows way above freezing. That would hurt the ice quite a bit. But, different sites are forecasting way different temps, so it must just be a matter of how far north the warm air will travel next week. 

4/21/18 @ 10:05 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Put a detailed ice report on the Vilas County thread. 

The key will likely be next week Wednesday - Sunday. If the "cool down" stays on track, it'll make a big difference. It's hard to believe that our highs are about 60 now. So, even a warm sunny day like today was below average. At least our nights are still cold. But, some lakes I think for sure will be open on the opener. Others should have some sort of ice...

4/20/18 @ 4:10 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Interesting weather line USAbrams. The site I follow has a very positive change to it (If you want to ice fish opening day).

I'm seeing some pretty nice lows in the next week or so... Lower than thought. Clear, cold nights. That will help stem the melt offs a bit during the day (Still plenty of snow today, things are melting, but not rapidly..it's a long process).

And, there has been a dip Thursday -Sunday next week. Temps down. Any minor change could be the reason ice stays or goes by the opener, which is a late one this year at May 5th.  I do notice that they seem to be pulling back the 60 degree days a bit between now and the opener.

This is going to be really close.  I guess until pretty much all the snowbanks melt, I feel ice will be there, enough to walk on for some of the lakes. 10 inches of snow = 1 inch of ice as far as liquid goes is what I've been told.   

Also talked with a local today that's been around for a bit and follows this stuff closer than I. He really doubts things will be ice free by the opener. 

4/20/18 @ 11:51 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

Between now and the opener, there's zero days forecasted into the 60's for Land O Lakes. Hell, there's rain forecasted, but morning and evening showers could easily be snow with 30-33° temps for lows.

4/19/18 @ 9:12 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

The warm up keeps getting warmer and warmer. I'm starting to hedge now. I thought we'd have lots of safe ice options, now I'm wondering if we'll have any. Can't have that many days in the 60s. That has changed. Was more in the 40s and 50s even a week ago. 

Still, there is 33 inches of ice on Little Saint right now according to a report from Hillers Resort I heard. And, the first sunny day today did nothing to the snow pack in our yard. Another cold night on it's way. We shall definitely see. I keep thinking of those snow banks in Colorado in July way up in the mountains. Some things just take a long time to melt. Ice is strong. But, too many 60 degree days, especially if sunny would probably make it go out in most places by the opener. 

Indeed, we shall see.

4/17/18 @ 5:10 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I'm hoping the ice holds on until opening day, then after that , warm and sunny weather is more than welcome.

I think the ice will hold in many spots. I don't think the snow on top will be overly heavy for lakes that have 30 inches of ice right now.  We had a lot of snow on the ice earlier this year and it melted, and the ice held. 

The warm sunny days are a concern, but from what I'm seeing, enough nights will get below freezing just enough to help. And, there looks to be just enough cloudy days in there too. It's the 12:00-5:00  period that is the most critical ... Most mornings will be cool and the temps and sun won't have to much affect on the ice until mid day.

I'm optimistic. There is just so much ice under so much snow....that to melt it all in the next 17 days seems like a tough assignment. There simply might not be enough time for everything to melt....The clock is ticking. Opening day is closer and closer. 

4/17/18 @ 2:21 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Down here in SE WI, my wife asked if first ice was coming soon. Good thing I'm not an abusive husband....

Would still be happily ice fishing if I could. The bite is tough on open water using traditional methods. Very windy, can't see bobber strikes and the walleye seem to have disappeared into an alternate universe 

4/17/18 @ 1:15 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

The way this spring is going, I'm thinking October!

4/16/18 @ 10:11 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Ulban I hope your right!

4/16/18 @ 9:02 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

In the areas that really got hammered with the snow the ice isn’t going to stick around as long as you might think. That’s an insane amount of weight that was just thrown on top and when it starts to melt that ice is going to disappear fast and simply sink away. 

4/16/18 @ 1:42 PM
wi river rat
User since 4/2/02

Not a prediction but a buddy of mine was ice fishing Lake of The Woods in northern MN and had to drill through 50" of ice. I think Mille Lacs had 30" on April 2nd. Maybe mid May?

4/14/18 @ 7:38 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

So, the attached picture was taken on November 7. The first time I saw the ice on that lake was November 6th. 

To think that if we make it to May 6 with ice still on that lake, that’s six months of ice. That’s unbelievable! 

I have been saying for a while that April 20 would be the last day to possibly ice fish...I'm gladly changing that. 

I’ll say without a doubt people are ice fishing on opening day weekend. On a number of lakes. And our opener is even a bit later than most years this time. 

The last ice will probably be on Trout Lake/LVD/North Twin etc...about May 15. Not saying it’ll be fishable… But I’ll say you can still visibly see ice on May 15 on some of the lakes. 

USAbrams-love the picture! Wonder what the yard will look like after tomorrow night…

Displaying 16 to 30 of 95 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE