MORE
Ice Fishing

Ice fishing at night?

1/15/18 @ 4:01 PM
INITIAL POST
fishing_time
fishing_time
User since 8/17/13
Was curious if anyone has gone ice fishing at night for Whitefish, Walleye or other species? Has anyone had experience or success at night? Would be planning to stay reasonably close to shore for safety reasons at night.. Please share any comments regarding night fishing the ice. Thanks!
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
2/12/18 @ 8:55 PM
onoudont
PRO MEMBER User since 2/21/12

3 of us go and set 9 tips ups with shiners. You wouldnt get a flag for an hr or 2, Talk about leaving and get 4 flags in 20 minutes when a school would come through. 

2/12/18 @ 7:49 PM
Viszla-Terrier
User since 12/27/10

In my experience, bluegill, crappie, catfish bite regularly after dark. It is also my experience the underwater camera sucks after dark except when fish come in very close proximity.

Get a flasher, how anyone can ice fish w/o is beyond me. Too many times fish come in above my bait. You probably are already aware of all its valuable aspects.

Get a quality headlamp. It too has so many valuable aspects. 

Use glow &/or loud baits. 

Good luck

2/12/18 @ 5:35 PM
nightbrawler
User since 6/30/15

Gonna try my luck here instead of starting a new thread. Just as the original post, I am interested in ice fishing at night. I have tried several times without success using worms and crappie minnows on jigs, shiners on tip-up, various depth 6ft-40ft. Crappie/walleye/catfish, whatever works for me, I just want to catch something at night since I don't have much time to fish during the day. I do not have a flasher, but I do have an underwater camera (it is horrible at night, the infrared just light up all the particles in the water).

What is a good depth and structure to try at night? Like deep holes vs hump/bar vs weed edge vs weed bed, etc. I have done a lot of night walleye fishing in the fall, and they are pretty common along the shore here. Do they stay around the same spots as they do in the fall?

1/16/18 @ 2:13 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Yes sir, Walleyes get a flurry at dusk, maybe an hour before to an  hour afterwords.  Crappies all evening till 9:00 and later

1/16/18 @ 8:49 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

I do a bunch of night fishing for eyes. You get that flurry at dusk, but then about an hour after dark, you start getting flags again. You gotta have good tip-up lights, a good head lamp and a good flashlight for night fishing.

If you're running tip-ups, reflective posts to mark where they are is a good idea too. Night time produces some very nice fish.

Ice fishing at night? photo by USAbrams1991
1/16/18 @ 12:57 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I have fished walleyes and crappies at night. Walleyes, we found were a nuisance as you couldn't have too much light. Crappies were nice because light makes it better. Also caught largrmouth at night while fishing for crappies.  Don't remember catching anything other than that. Some lakes panfish bite right up until it's black out and then most people leave or even leave before that. It's nice to keep fishing and see what you can catch after that. 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE