MORE
Ice Fishing

Cleaning fish

12/16/18 @ 6:58 PM
INITIAL POST
WilcraftSue
WilcraftSue
User since 2/1/11

My plumber told me today to stop cleaning fish inside. How do you guys clean yours durning the winter?

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
12/19/18 @ 9:52 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Lakeshiner - those filet maker boards are hands down the best fileting boards out there. One of the best purchases I've made in awhile.

12/19/18 @ 9:45 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I've started cutting larger cardboard boxes down into like 18"-24"x36" pieces and do all my cleaning on a piece of that, using newspaper or paper bags on top of it. That way there's nothing to clean up, just fold it up and trash it. Works well when I don't have any newspaper or bags too, although it can get pretty slimy. 

12/18/18 @ 7:37 PM
WilcraftSue
WilcraftSue
User since 2/1/11

Thanks for all your advice. Used the newspapers today and it made such a difference. No more slime

12/18/18 @ 4:07 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I have a Fillet Maker board to use on the table.  It has a lip to catch any slop and keep it on the board.  Then I take that outside and rinse it off.

Normally I run my fish through a scaler as well, they come out clean.  That's nice to avoid any slime or scales to begin with.  If I don't do that though, the board keeps the mess in yet.

12/17/18 @ 1:28 PM
Deer Puncher
User since 1/20/17

Newspapers.. I lay the paper on the freezer in the basement just the right height for me roll up the waste and into the garbage..or for me the guts to the woods..

12/17/18 @ 11:34 AM
Smallie Chaser
Smallie Chaser
PRO MEMBER User since 7/13/01

Brown grocery bags work well too. They seem to soak up more, and they hold together better. 

12/17/18 @ 10:41 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

You mean you're not supposed to throw the heads guts and skeletons down the sink and hit run on the garbage disposal?

12/17/18 @ 10:24 AM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

Like  baconbits I use newspaper.  I wrap them in news paper for a good hour or better and the slim soaks into the newspaper.  Then lay the on a fresh piece of newspaper to fillet them.  Wrap all the carcasses in the paper when done and dispose of.  I only keep fish about three times a year, 8-10 each time.  But if you do this weekly/Dailey you’ll probably be short on newspaper because it does take a lot to do 10 fish.

12/17/18 @ 8:48 AM
baconsbaits
baconsbaits
User since 1/12/09

I always clean on newspaper at the kitchen table.  But I just got a cleaning table that hooks up to the garden hose outside for my birthday, so I'm guessing that's a subtle hint that I'm no longer welcome in the house.  Lol.  I like newspaper because it gets the slime off better, and after a fish or two I wrap up the guts and heads in the top page of paper and have a nice clean page below to keep going.  Makes for a bit more to toss away, but not bad.  The only scales that make it to the sink are the ones stuck to the knife and a few that might be on the filets when i rinse them. 

Bacon

12/16/18 @ 11:00 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

Heated garage a 12 pack of Busch lights and usually some music or whatever else might be on... fillet on cutting board and throw all scraps in the trash

12/16/18 @ 8:50 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Are you letting guts or scales get into your drain? If so, I agree with the plumber. No reason you can't keep it all on newspaper or cardboard and toss in the garbage.

12/16/18 @ 7:48 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Why does your plumber care if your cleaning fish in your house? I clean them the same way summer or winter. I put newspaper down fillet and skin them put the fillets in a bowl to rinse them. Wrap the newspaper up and throw it away. 

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE