MORE
Ice Fishing

barometric pressure

12/28/10 @ 6:26 PM
INITIAL POST
Rob92761
Rob92761
User since 1/16/07
I have heard that is is better ice fishing when barometric pressure is 30 and above. and is not is good when below 30. I have always done better when barometric pressure is 30 and above. i was talking to an other fisherman he like it below 30. What are your views?

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
1/16/18 @ 10:10 PM
gill420
User since 8/21/10
Just read the other day that if barometric pressure is falling that means the air pressure is rising which in turns releases pressure off of the fishs' airbladder causing it to be more comfortable, active, and more likely to bite. If barometric pressure is rising, air pressure is falling and putting more pressure on the fishs' air bladder causing it to be uncomfortable, and much less active, and dont want to eat. Species of fish has a lot to do with it also, some fish have larger air bladders which would be more affected by this, along with depths of the lakes. Obviously a max depth of 8ft is going to be completely different than a max depth of 50ft.  Also read the barometric pressure affects where the fish are in the water column. All pretty confusing to me but this article made the most sense. Any comments are welcome, negative or positive. Either way I fish whenever i possibly can, so I don' really care but might affect what species I target.
12/30/10 @ 3:15 PM
Kevin_WI
Kevin_WI
User since 12/28/10
Barometric pressure has very little effect on water. @ghost pretty much summed it up well.

what it does affect is the light, which affects micro-organisms, which affect bait fish, which affects larger fish....you get the idea.

12/30/10 @ 2:42 PM
NiteMite
NiteMite
User since 9/16/01
Change in pressure. I've caught many more on a pressure drop, fewer but much larger on pressure rise. Pressure is not my #1 tool. Location is.

12/30/10 @ 1:14 PM
madhunter
User since 9/11/09
@Ghost Fish

I am not sure that i agree about the barometric pressure not affecting water pressure. If the pressure above the surface is high then does it not makes sense that the pressure on the water is also high, which affects the "weight" on the water? would say that the changes in air pressure are greater than the changes within the water column, but can fish notice the difference??

I guess for me the question is do I base mu decision to fish on the barometric pressure? Nope!

12/30/10 @ 12:07 AM
Kevin_WI
Kevin_WI
User since 12/28/10
Folks owned a resort up North and Dad always tracked the barometric pressure on every trophy walleye, crappie and Musky for over 30 years on a chart. 29.99 and falling was the absolute best for fishing.
12/29/10 @ 8:44 AM
fishermandan
fishermandan
User since 7/21/02
I have done the worst with steady high pressure. The other day it was sitting at 30.45 and we had 8 guys with 24 tip-ups and caught just 3 pike. If it's falling, that is typically the best.

12/29/10 @ 7:35 AM
wildricepaddy
User since 12/16/10
I have found that the fishing is best when the barometric pressure is either rising or falling. Steady pressure, high or low takes a back seat to changing pressure for both fishing and game movement.

12/28/10 @ 11:22 PM
big_bear
User since 1/23/08
I typically don't do very good when when its over 30, catch more fish when it is below 30 though. I watch the pressure every time I go out, but just cause its over 30 doesn't mean I won't go out though. Fished 10hrs the other day with the pressure at 30.35 and we had a handfull of bites n only caught 2 fish. Went out when the pressure was at 29.4, where I typically have my best days, we caught 53 crappies n kept 32.

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE