SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

Scope options for a 45-70 lever action.

12/2/16 @ 10:34 AM
INITIAL POST
big mac
User since 2/19/02

I have a Marlin Guide Series Stainless steel lever action. It has a very restrictive open (shroud barrel pin/sight) & I need to get a solid quality scope. I don't plan on shooting at critters more than 100 yards out.

Thanks,

Big Mac 

Displaying 16 to 26 of 26 posts
5/2/17 @ 7:57 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Paddle Power

Wow, that scope on Amazon, is well over 400.00! I guess I wasn't expecting that cost.

But I do appreciate your help. 

Big Mac 

5/1/17 @ 9:21 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Steve, that's probably going to be my plan. I just need to figure out a gunsmith to go to in my area. I would assume,  my best option would be to remove the front shroud & get a low profile mount for a scope  (not raised above shroud).

Thanks, 

Big Mac 

5/1/17 @ 8:38 PM
Steve @ G & S
User since 6/15/01

Quite frankly Mac, I would go with a low powered scope before using a red dot.  I just don't think they can withstand the heavy recoil of a large bore rifle as well as a scope.

Formerly Steve @ G & S

5/1/17 @ 6:50 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Thanks for all the input!  Keep it coming. 

Big Mac 

5/1/17 @ 3:50 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

Look at the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20. Excellent glass for the money. It weighs 11.5 oz, and has Leupold's illuminated firedot. Which gives you a HUGE advantage at dawn or dusk over a conventional hunting scope. Have a look at one, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

5/1/17 @ 11:11 AM
Dan E
Dan E
User since 4/29/17

Well Mac, I have a straight 1.5 power Weaver on my.444Mar .  I also have .375 win with an old straight 4 power Tasco on. They both shoot real well at 100 yards. I have a Red dot on a 30-30 and that rifle sprays a bit at 100 yards about a 4" group. The dot is small but not as precise as crosshairs.

5/1/17 @ 8:02 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Steve, thanks for your input. I just don't like the covered (shroud) front sight.  Very hard to see under low light.  Plus my vision isn't the best. I wondered if a low power scope or red-dot type scope would be the best for me.

Thanks,

Big Mac 

4/30/17 @ 5:04 PM
Steve @ G & S
User since 6/15/01

I have an Alpen Optics straight 4 power scope on my 1895 XLR .45/70.  I tried several other brands of scopes and they just didn't hold up.  They failed to either hold zero or the internal lenses came loose!  The Alpen Optic scope has held up for over a decade now

At 100 yards you have sufficient magnification yet at closer ranges, you're not overscoped.

Formerly Steve @ G & S

4/1/17 @ 12:14 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Anyone use a scope/red-dot/etc. On their large bore lever action rifles? 

Big Mac 

12/3/16 @ 9:07 AM
Badgerloader
User since 4/10/11

I suggest you consider a receiver peep sight combined with an orange front sight. There is a lot of information available on the use of peep sights.

Lever action rifles are typically well-balanced and easy to carry & handle. In my opinion, a scope makes a lever gun unbalanced.

Displaying 16 to 26 of 26 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE