MORE
Guns & Shooting

80% ar 15 lower

12/13/15 @ 5:18 PM
INITIAL POST
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15
Anyone ever build an ar using an 80% lower? I really have no use for an ar but... Think it's pretty cool to build and have. Interested on whatever you guys have to say
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
2/23/17 @ 1:16 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12

Its is perfectly legal to own a gun with no numbers as long as there never where any. I have shown my AR to many police officers at the range many times never ever even a question about legality. You can build all of them you want. Now where you would get in trouble is of you ever sold it. Thats a horse of a differant color. You being the gun maker  you can own it. But since you are not a manufactuer that would get you in major hot water 

11/27/16 @ 9:39 PM
Steve @ G & S
User since 6/15/01

I just purchased an 80% lower from Genesis CNC.  I like it because it's been beefed up in areas that are a problem with many polymer lowers, mainly in the rear pin area and the buffer tube area.

Machining it was simple, using a drill press and a machinist slide vice from Harbor Freight for $60.  Just watch the video, take notes if needed and take your time!

It works well with the existing DPMS .223/5.56 upper, but I'm leaning towards a 6.5 Grendal for a new rifle build.

As far as being "caught" with an unserialized lower, I'm well within my rights under the 2nd Amendment as well as being cleared by the BATF to build a firearm for my personal use.

Formerly Steve @ G & S

11/25/16 @ 6:14 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

WOW , you never want to get stopped  or caught with no serial  number .  That could provide  you with government  housing for a while  .

11/23/16 @ 1:21 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12

You dont need fancy tools i have 2 that i have done and both work as smooth as a store bought one all you need is a drill press a plain old router and a vise and the jig. thats it super easy and fast. the real benifit of 80%  is the cost savimg its that there is no sereal number amd no ffl paper work so the goverment doesnt know you have it. 

6/23/16 @ 11:37 AM
Wieland Outdoors
Wieland Outdoors
User since 3/27/10

Polymer80 - Great company and quality products

12/31/15 @ 10:53 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15
Ordered 80 % lowers and jig from anderson rifles. Should be pretty cool.
12/23/15 @ 8:00 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01
I don't know much about them, but also would just buy a regular stripped lower. The cost savings seem minimal with the potential to have problems if not equipped to do it correctly.
12/14/15 @ 4:47 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Generally you better know what you're doing and have a pretty good shop of tools. And you have to do the work all yourself, if others do anything for you it's illegal. IMHO just buy a low end lower for $50 and be done with it.
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE