SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

300 WBY

3/6/19 @ 7:58 AM
INITIAL POST
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Starting a load for this rifle for a hunt next year. Anyone care to share what powder\grs you are using for this load. Looking for what works well for you. 

Plan is to use a Sierra bullet as I've used those in most of my other applications with great results, likely a 180gr. Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
4/25/19 @ 6:28 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Good choice,I have used accubonds for my 7mag and 280 for atleast a decade.Great bullet.

4/24/19 @ 6:56 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

I made a stop at the local FF on my way home from work yesterday. I picked up a box of Accubonds in 180gr. I see mention of these on a number of other sites so I think I will go with them for my hunting round. I'm not trying to over think this. I have experience shooting game out to 3 to 400 yards, just want to be properly prepared for what could be a once in a life time experience on game I have zero experience with. I realize this is more than enough fire power for the task. The gun has sentimental value so it's going on this hunt.    

4/23/19 @ 7:25 PM
Btw567
User since 9/22/17

I think any quality bullet with a bonded construction is a good choice.   180 grain bullet is going to be moving pretty good out of your load.   It’s a good compromise also in that your shot could be very close or out there.   Enjoy your experience and good luck!

4/23/19 @ 8:07 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

That's another question I have little experience with. I've been loading Sierra spitzer boattails for all of my larger caliber rifles for years for deer. I get excellent results without making a mess. I am loading a180gr in this bullet now for working up the load. Is it a good choice, I don't know on a moose. I see recommendations for this bullet and that bullet but have no experience with game this size. What should I be looking at?  Based on the load data I'm using I'm not reaching a maximum load.

4/22/19 @ 6:50 PM
Btw567
User since 9/22/17

That is a cool classic cartridge.  I know a lot of moose hunters in Alberta and most shoot a 30-06 with no issues.  Just make sure you use a good bullet that will hold together if you are going to “hotshot” a load.  I saw a hunter one time who had a bullet explode on a big bulls shoulder bone.   A long tracking job and a less than pleased guide was the result.  A good bullet would have blown through the shoulder and resulted in a clean kill.

4/22/19 @ 3:01 PM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

For those who may be interested I've got about 40 rounds through using IMR7828 SSC. So far, 75.5 grains has produced the best group, 1.5" at a 100. Much better than 4831 and 4350 at this point. Capable of the job but I would expect it can do better.

3/7/19 @ 8:15 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

I have no preference on powder. I've checked a few sites that offer suggestions on loads for the 300 Weatherby. IMR7828 seems quite popular. Each rifle is different, just thought I'd ask here as to what others may be using. Trying to minimize bench time on this for obvious reasons.

Hockey,

Welcome to the Weatherbeye club.

3/6/19 @ 4:18 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I would love to hit a range with someone who has a bunch of different calibers. My brother's best friend's dad is a plastic surgeon outside Chicago and has been on countless safaris and hunting trips. Has an entire wing of a large home as his trophy room. Impressive to say the least. One day he took his son and my brother to the range with everything he had. They shot everything from .243 to some .50 caliber double barrel elephant gun, with a lot in between. To say I was jealous when I heard about it is an understatement.

If I start developing an arsenal, I'd probably look to reload. But shooting as infrequently as I do, I don't see it happening now. To date I've shot two calibers...a single round from a .300 Win Mag back in 1995 when I scoped myself and then a .30/06 which I own now. I've always wanted a .280, but may look at getting a .270 instead as the difference in ammo prices is pretty noticeable. I bought a cheaper Remington 783, but may look to trade it in or sell it and put more cash to something of a little higher quality. 

3/6/19 @ 3:53 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

dsinwi,

I'm going to speculate you're asking about 300 Weatherby Mag...?

I have no personal experience. I would say start with the latest edition of load book from Sierra (obviously) but my father in law is a Weatherby fan. Although he's currently fascinated by the Weatherby 257, I'll give him a ring and see if he's got any particular brand for his Weatherby's, I know he's usually a proponent or Hodgdon and Western for powder though.

EDIT: I meant to ask if you have a preference towards powder types.. i.e. are you good with anything or do you prefer extruded or ball?

3/6/19 @ 1:20 PM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Hockeyguy39,

Recoil is 10 to 11lbs more than a comparable 06 for comparison. It's not my preferred bench shooter which is why I'm asking for the recipes:) You should try it if you get the chance, I don't find it overwhelming.. The where will be Alberta. The target is moose.

I load for all my rifles. At one time reloading was significantly cheaper than buying factor loaded ammo, and of better quality. Either may not be the case now however, I find reloading my own very enjoyable in the winter months. I have other calibers just as capable of taking a moose but this one belonged to my father. He reloaded for it but that info passed with him.

3/6/19 @ 11:24 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Sorry, nothing to add to answer your question, but that's a serious caliber. How's your shoulder feel after sighting in lol? Care to share the where and target of your hunt?

Regarding loading your own, when it gets to the big calibers like this, how much can you save versus buying a box in the store? I was kind of shocked when I was behind a guy that was buying a box of .338s and I found out how much they were. 

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE