SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Looking to add a rod or two

12/21/14 @ 9:41 PM
INITIAL POST
J B
User since 3/10/02
Hello, I've only been fishing the big lake for 2 seasons now with some decent luck in our narrow 16.5' deep v. I only have 4 flush mounted rod holders now. I'm pretty sure I can add one more, but two maybe tricky. I also walleye fish Winnebago for walleyes some. Right now I have 4- 7' line counter rigs with braid. Depending on the time of year and current, I'm either running dipsy divers, boards or one line out the back long lined. If you could add one or two rods for my small boat, what would they be? Thanks!
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
12/24/14 @ 9:24 PM
YonkerS
User since 1/28/13
I always run a single section of lead core off a planer board especially in the spring/fall for brown trout trolling shallow water. By adding a snap weight behind the lead core/mainline connection, greater depth can be achieved. I have found that each ounce of lead (either lead core or snap weight) gets me down 5' per ounce at the speed I troll. This setup up works for salmon, trout & walleye
12/23/14 @ 8:58 PM
Red Rider
User since 6/26/01
JB, If your not going to add riggers at this time I would suggest a 27 series size reel with rip cord/power pro style line and running a pair of torpedo divers off each corner. If you keep the fin straight they will run inside your dypsy set ups.
12/23/14 @ 7:02 PM
sylvan81
User since 5/23/12
i would buy 10 colors of lead and use it all up. I would have a 3 color and a 7 color. Then you can use both most of the year by adding snap weights or just running as is. Getting involved in this sport is very addictive and you will buy lots and lots of gear. If you have a set amount of money you want to spend watch craigslist or on here. Sometimes you can get a great deal. People are always getting out or upgrading. Good luck nothing like a king taking drag out 100 yards.
12/23/14 @ 2:04 PM
kal77
kal77
User since 1/10/13
Another medium or medium heavy trolling setup with braid paired with 8 and/or 12 oz torpedo divers. These are a great stealthy substitute to downriggers.
12/23/14 @ 9:49 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02
I'd get a 2 color lead and a 5 color lead core (add the 3 color to use up the 10 color spool if you can afford three rods) off to the sides on boards. Add Torpedo weights if you need to fish deeper with the lead cores. This way you can use them for spring coho bite and also fish deeper later in summer. The 2 and 3 colors can also be used as SWR rods when you get downriggers.
12/23/14 @ 7:07 AM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
1 10 color and 1 300 copper.
12/22/14 @ 10:32 PM
J B
User since 3/10/02
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm only looking to fish out of this boat for another year or so, so not sure I'm going to go out and add downriggers to it. I have thought about adding rod holders farther up front. Would you suggest lead core over copper for the additional rods? How many core would be best? Thanks again!
12/22/14 @ 9:37 AM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05
not sure what type of boat you have. I have a 17 foot...but I have two mounted in front of the wind shield. I run two boards with lead from these rod holders. then 2 more boards, 2 dipseys, and 2 downriggers. and sometimes a 10 color straight back. mounting the two in front of the windshields helps open up the back of the boat plus you can send them way out to the side from the front
12/22/14 @ 9:10 AM
BIG MOSS 24-7
BIG MOSS 24-7
User since 11/2/09
I also ran 15.6 for yrs. I would put two rod holders in the back corners for pump handles. You still can add down riggers later and keep those holders there for your pump handles. It took me a few yrs before I put riggers on that boat. You'll be very happy with the amount of fish caught on those two corner pump handles!
12/22/14 @ 8:30 AM
luckylou
luckylou
User since 8/25/11
I used to run a 16 footer. You can run a lot of rods, weather condition dependent. I would try for this at a minimum: - 2 downriggers (sternward most rods) - 2 dispy diver rods (braid line) - 2 holders to run lead core/copper on side planers
Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE