MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Fishing alewives on meat rigs

3/21/18 @ 11:38 AM
INITIAL POST
Algomaskeeter
Algomaskeeter
User since 5/31/17

A quick questions regarding fishing alewives on meat rigs. Are they fished whole, as cut bait, or both?

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
3/25/18 @ 11:52 AM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09

Just started last year with meat.  What I’ve experienced is when starting the ballyhoo stripes are best/most user friendly.  They last along time and are tough.  Take out of package put on pre tied strip head and they roll well right away.  If you want to run full herring on big heads then check out nofishnick on YouTube.  He shows how to take the full herring brine them to toughen up and keep the scales on also he shows how to fillet them to fit the heads and roll better.  I’m thinking this brine fillet would also work on alewifes.

3/23/18 @ 8:08 AM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
User since 6/17/01
Do not forget about smelt. I have a bunch ready for this year in multiple colors. I can't wait to get out.
3/23/18 @ 6:24 AM
Attabuoy
User since 2/9/18

Algoma, just a heads up that most guys use either herring or ballyhoo strips that come in packages sold at bait shops.  They are typically strips that are a fillet of half a fish, scales on one side and meat on the other.  Then you slip it into a trolling head and toothpick it in place.

That said, the herring comes as whole fish and can be used that way, either with a trolling head or without.  To complicate things more, guys on the west coast will use whole herring, with the heads cut off at an angle and a bevel, so that they spin through the water.

In my opinion, if you're just getting started the prepackaged strips and pre-tied trolling harnesses are the way to go.  There are some pretty good instructional videos on YouTube if you search there.

Good luck, hope this helped!

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE