SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Bleeding out Salmon

1/22/17 @ 8:22 PM
INITIAL POST
Lund forever
User since 1/21/08

I have read that some say Salmon are better eating if you bleed them out before putting them on ice.  I wonder if would apply to fish caught in the river in the late fall.  I caught a couple that were still party orange that tasted a little "fishy" when canned.  When I cleaned these fish I tried to cut off as much red meat next to the skin.  Does anyone take any  other special care to these Late fish?  Lund

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
3/2/17 @ 9:13 PM
Maverick
User since 12/13/01

O.K.  how about using a pruning sheers to cut the gills?  Or ; this year i was in cabo fishing and we got some tuna.  the mate reached under the gill plate into the fishes throat and pulled out the heart. Never seen it before and i thought it could work on salmon if the heart is close eneough to reach.  the tuna were only 15 lbs or so.  sounds alittle gruesome though.

1/23/17 @ 12:41 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07
I always do if it's a decent sized fish. Whack the fish in the head with a club (to stun it, more humane this way). Then cut the gills on one side and put it in water. Wait 5-10 minutes and take it out and put it on ice
1/23/17 @ 11:52 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Dragging them with a stringer while they bleed out is a good idea.  You can plug up a livewell in a hurry with coagulated blood from large fish.
1/23/17 @ 11:35 AM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I second the need to bleed. It makes a big difference when cleaning them and the table fare is much better. Occasionally, when we are getting doubles and triples in rough conditions we will skip the smaller fish like cohos and bows, but larger fish like kings, browns, and defiinitely lakers always get bled out. We cut the gills with a pair of scissors and drag them behind the boat on a stringer. It is sometimes a pain in the a**, but IMHO worth it.

1/23/17 @ 5:24 AM
smartymielke
smartymielke
User since 8/30/15

about 4yrs ago I started bleeding my fish,

now I bleed ALL FISH ALWAYS

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE