MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Using Spawn Sacks

9/7/17 @ 3:01 PM
INITIAL POST
doorman
Hawkeye Transplant
User since 9/7/17

I'm new to Lake Michigan fishing, and have plenty of questions.  I plan to fish from shore by the harbor, and would really appreciate some very basic advice on how to hook some of those big trout and salmon.

What kind of spoons are recommended for this time of year?  Should they be retrieved immediately, or let them sink first?  I've tried casting some spoons and a rapalla countdown the last couple of mornings with no strikes.

I'm thinking I might want to try using spawn sacks next.  How do I rig them, and how do I fish them?  I've watched You Tubes of how to tie them, but didn't really get how to fish them in a lake.

Also, any advice on jigging with tubes? Is this a good technique for fishing off the wall? 

Thanks

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
12/30/18 @ 2:10 PM
NEVER GIVE UP 2
NEVER GIVE UP 2
User since 6/7/10

I cured my own eggs 2 days ago. I bag borax and 1 bag of fire cure. My big question is do I lightly wash and dry the eggs off before I tie them into spawn sacks? Or do I just tie them? I'm completely new to this. I only troll for salmon and trout. The eggs I have were from a fish I caught in early September. I problay won't use the eggs until the salmon come into the harbor to spawn. Thanks for any advice!

9/10/17 @ 8:25 AM
Hawkeye Transplant
User since 9/7/17

X1o4-Thanks a bunch for the great tips.  Much appreciated! Tight lines!

9/9/17 @ 3:37 PM
x1o4gboi
User since 2/28/16

As far as fishing with spoons, the more popular ones are acme little cleos ( in silver/blue or silver/green when not fishing in the dark, glow spoons in the dark), k.o wobblers, moonshine lures, and kastmasters.

People use different techniques to fish and it all depends on the mood of the fishes, i usually try multiple techniques til i can draw a strike. Usually let it sink to tje bottom, then you can slow reel it in or jig. When i jig i normally jig 4 to 6 feet off tje bottom then let it flutter back down while reeling in slack. Let it sit on the bottom a few seconds and repeat. Theyll normally hit while its fluttering down or on the bottom. 

As for spawn sacs, you can sink them using split shot rig or a 3 way. Usually in the harbor i recommend using a slip float with an octopus hook in a smaller size. 

You can also try skein at this time of the year with slip float also. Not to mention jigging also. 

Good luck and tight lines!

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE