MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Tractor

7/29/18 @ 8:32 AM
INITIAL POST
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Looking for advice on a small tractor. I currently plant just under 2 acres in food plots using my ATV and kind of struggle doing so. I’ve always thought of getting a tractor but have never really looked into it. I came across an Allis Chalmers CA tractor that someone had for sale in their yard, I knocked but nobody was home so I didn’t get to talk about specifics. The tractor looked to be in very good shape, new paint and decals, brand new rear tires and I noticed the alternator was brand new as well. They were asking $3,300. I have zero experience with tractors so looking to see what others have to say. Is that a good price, assuming it runs and drives good? Will I be able to find parts or someone to do repairs if need be? It does have a PTO so that could be useful as well maybe for a mower or tiller? I think I would get some sort of harrow to pull for tilling ground for food plot prep, will this have enough power for that? I look forward to hearing any advice anyone has to offer, thanks!

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
8/17/18 @ 11:29 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

8N's are handy, but don't go slow enough to be a good tilling tractor. Not saying you can't, but tough to do especially on new ground. You don't see tillers on 8's very often.

Fine for pulling/cutting though.

I use a 36" tow behind DR Power tiller behind lawn tractor for tilling and it works pretty good.

8/5/18 @ 5:21 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I held off on the original tractor I came across and did more shopping around. I ended up buying a Ford 8N for a much better deal. It had brand new rear tires, new gas tank, new belts, it was converted to 12V and also came with a 3pt harrow attachment all for $1800. The guy even offered to deliver it to my place which was about 2hrs away from where I purchased it for $100. 

8/2/18 @ 2:15 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

There were two tractor threads originally.  The first one was in General Discussion. http://www.lake-link.com/forums//general-discussion//tractor/130461/

8/1/18 @ 8:06 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

I have the same question about what happened to the original thread?? Appreciate the feedback from everyone.. Have been using an ATV for plots and I am also looking at tractor options.. Can not afford a new 20-30Hp machine so I like to see what others have found ..   

8/1/18 @ 5:01 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Once I have a trail mowed  I spray it with round up once or twice  to keep it open . That way if it's too wet to mow I can still get in . Works well for food plots , then throw and grow .

8/1/18 @ 12:07 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

What happened to the earlier tractor thread?

8/1/18 @ 11:59 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

I picked up a low 20 horse 4wd john deere.  Been a great little machine for roto tilling, dragging and chisel plowing for food plots.  Also have taken out some pretty darn big rocks - much better than I thought I would ever be able to.  Easier than using the atv, just a much better tool.  It is early 2000's model with 300 hours and picked it up for $8500. 

7/31/18 @ 6:54 PM
GUDSUN
User since 2/25/02

I used to spend about 14 hrs plus cutting my trails with a regular riding mower plus 7 to 8 gal of gas per cutting at least 3 usually 4 times a year. It beat the hell out of it and several other mowers.  

Few years back bought a mid sized 4 cyl. diesel Kumai from japan or something, what they call a gray tractor from mid 80's. It has a pto and like 28 hp at the pto. Came with bucket, 5 ft mower, post hole digger, tiller blade and 18 ft tandem axle trailer. I also bought a single trenching plow for the back and it works great too, doesn't take much power.

Best thing I ever did, used some savings and got it for $8500. Guy was moving out of state in a hurry and I know he had almost $14K into it. For what it cost us to rent walk behind brush things or tractors plus having to reserve it without knowing the weather, its worth it. Costs like just over $200 a year if nothing breaks for insurance and such. I figure maybe $100 a year for maint like oil, hoses, tiller tines, etc.

I can cut  miles of grass in a few hours and almost no fuel. Tiller burns diesel, all day tilling will use 6 gal or so. Use it to do peoples gardens, my food plots, others plots, etc. I can use it when I want for whom I want and all that. It is super great for moving dirt, rocks, trees and for food plots its awesome. No regrets.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE