SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

October lull

10/7/18 @ 12:56 PM
INITIAL POST
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
Old folklore.  No such thing.  If your not seeing deer.  Your in the wrong spot.
Displaying 16 to 22 of 22 posts
10/8/18 @ 5:03 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

The perception of a lull has many contributating factors. If attention is paid to the surroundings many thing are changing. Foliage in the woods is changing, more areas are visible with that change, easier for the hunter to see and far more easier for the deer to see you. Crops are ripening and harvest has started. Food sources are changing. Hunter pressure is on the increase. Sitting the same stand or stands too many times alerts the deer. Duck, goose, grouse and squirrel hunting put added activity in the woods. All contribute to changes in deer movement, adapt to those changes and see deer once again. 

10/8/18 @ 3:41 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Lots of people talk about this lull and everyone has a different guess why it occurs.  To me its brain chemistry, could be rut induced or daylight induced but I dont think any deer makes this conscious descision of going nocturnal based on its perception of hunting pressure which is  not a universal occurrence nor does it occur everyday to every deer.

10/8/18 @ 2:50 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I see deer all year long.  It's just that my land and the land around us is pretty pressured so the smarter mature deer become nocturnal on occasion.  I tried to switch it up a little this year.  I haven't even been out yet and our land has had very little pressure so far.  I'm going to give it a go next weekend and see if anything changed this year

10/7/18 @ 2:31 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I have always thought that the second weekend in October was a lull. This is why. Many second October weekends are very warm , sunny and calm. A perfect example is when my son was 15 , in 2012 youth hunt it was 81 degrees in Price co. It was windy but sunny. We didn't see a deer all weekend.  I have also noticed many times this weekend is Indian Summer "ish"  . I could be mistaken however, it never was my best weekend to see deer.

10/7/18 @ 1:12 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

It just means the deer are pressured.  We hunted yesterday and had deer around all day, but it was our first time at that spot too for the year.

I use the term at times but more to describe the time of year since so many people use it.

Displaying 16 to 22 of 22 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE