SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

how dead was it by you on opener?

11/18/18 @ 10:58 PM
INITIAL POST
fishballs
User since 4/8/04

i was fortunate to shoot a fork and doe opening morning in shawano county but it was quiet all weekend otherwise for my party and others we spoke to. doesnt seem to be alot of guys out after talking to buddies around waupaca and waushara cty they said the same thing.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 33 posts
11/23/18 @ 12:25 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

It's not silly. The relative was there first. I hear so many complaints here on Lake-Link when some hunter sets up too close to a guy that was there first and the second guy wont leave. Imagine 17 tromping by . That is very disrespectful to the hunter that was there first, just like the disrespect of the drivers. Drivers do not have special rights or preference. This is exactly why Wisconsin has lost 50,000 gun deer sales this year alone. We can keep loosing hunters and many are fine with that . I also thought there were just too many hunters in Wisconsin for a quality hunt even up north for a long time.   There is strength in numbers and we are loosing numbers. The bigger problem however is hunters seem to be ruining it for themselves just fine. Next year he will likely just stay home instead of putting up with ding bats hoot'n and hollering and tromping right by a stand hunter. 

11/22/18 @ 9:28 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12

We were doing a drive today and there were 2 guys sitting in trees in the middle of "our" drive on public land.  That sucks!  Sounds pretty silly when you turn it around doesn't it.

11/22/18 @ 8:24 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

A relative was on some public this morning and 17 guys walked by him doing a deer drive.  That sucks . I also saw a bunch of guys driving by some small piece of public and there were about 10 guys ready for a drive. They are out there but most of the week the parking spots were just a few hunters and many times I could drive by and see them just 100 yds off the road in a tree. 

11/22/18 @ 7:34 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
Temporarily living in dane county north of Middleton with my parents, out in the country. Dont hunt but was up early opening morning. Heard 2 shots. Was outside alot last weekend and only heard 1 other shot. I know the land right around where I live is not gun hunted by more then a couple guys, but didnt hear anything out farther either. My dad says quite a few more guys generally bow hunt on the land surrounding his however. It's not lack of deer either, I see multiple deer including some nice bucks every morning on my way to work around 5:30-6am within a mile of where I live. I feel like alot of guys just gave up on gun hunting. 
11/22/18 @ 2:20 PM
hallpass
User since 7/6/01

Lots of shooting around the Kettle Moraine north unit.  Took a big doe late.  Saw no antlers.

11/22/18 @ 11:45 AM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

This morning took a drive around some farm area I hunt and in a 4x2 mile area I saw exactly 1 truck by a woods. It appears no one is out hunting today, thats crazy.  I think alot of people are throwing in the towel on gun season,  more than the license numbers show.

11/21/18 @ 1:32 PM
alumalunker25
User since 9/21/12
I saw at least 31 deer opening day some doubles I'm sure. Mostly doe and fawn with 3 bucks. 2 were 1.5yr olds and 1 2.5yr old. I'm hunting on the edge of a bedding area which really benefits in the #'s I'm sure. Saw 18 Sunday morning before switching locations. Northern Columbia County
11/21/18 @ 12:15 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

The state isn't made equally.  I was in Price County and thought I heard more shots than past years on opening day, ihookem was in a different area of the same county and didn't hear nearly as many it sounds like.  These zones are so big now its hard to really talk about them as one unit. 

Sunday morning was quiet, maybe the cold kept people in.  There were more shots just before dark though in the afternoon when it warmed up.

11/21/18 @ 12:00 AM
fishballs
User since 4/8/04

strange they say the kill is up but yet everyone i talk to said they werent hearing shots?

11/19/18 @ 3:32 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

In Price co. you would never know it was gun season.  Sat. afternoon I heard five shots and it was so quiet i looked to see what the noise was to find it was a mouse 10yds away. I can hear a gunshot for miles up there. I heard about five including shots so far away the sounded like a " poooffff".

Sunday was a bit more shots. An old indian saying, " one shot makes meat, two shots , maybe. three shots reap nothing." I hear one guy shoot 15 times in 15 seconds and a fe minutes later another 15 shots. I wonder if he missed. Most shots Sunday afternoon tells me it is just to unload the gun in frustration.

11/19/18 @ 2:57 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

In my area the high water changed the deers' normal bedding areas, alot. The lack of acorn production also affected my area. We saw reduced numbers all season but the properties that had cornfields close by were loaded. That is just the way it worked out this year. Mrt.

11/19/18 @ 1:41 PM
dblelung
User since 11/30/02

This has been by far the quietest I have heard it.  We hunt Meadow Valley Wildlife area....Monroe/Juneau county.  First year someone from our group of 10 didn't harvest a deer opening weekend.  Lucky if I counted 20 shots between Saturday and Sunday.

11/19/18 @ 1:10 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

It was slow in the morning both Saturday and Sunday.  Saturday afternoon was a little better and Sunday afternoon was really good. Deer moving around a lot. 

11/19/18 @ 9:19 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

deader than dead, but i hunt a river bottom that as of early last week was mainly underwater and now is full of shelf ice where water receded.  great sign there earlier in fall and then this weekend, with fresh snow, saw one track lol.  

11/19/18 @ 9:07 AM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

Last saturday hit some public bowhunting and found a intersection of trails,in the snow with 3 deer seen. Opening morning fair number of vehicles on same tract, all gone by 10am. Did not cut a fresh track. Seems deer moved to agriculture 1-2 miles down the road where there was a good amount of shot. Years back when people could bait on public, it would hold the deer to make it successful seeing or harvesting one.  For me bowhunting is where it's at to get a chance.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 33 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE