SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

food plots

4/26/09 @ 7:19 AM
INITIAL POST
cm79
User since 5/26/08
I'm thinking about putting a food plot on public land, I want to do it all using hand tools there are alot of seeds that claim no till, just wanted to know if you guys have any good brands to look at.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 786 posts
7/11/17 @ 7:10 PM
7/11/17 @ 6:57 PM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

What type of sorghum are you planting that grows 8 feet tall? Typical sorghum is less than 6 feet. Johnson grass (a type of sorghum) grows to 8 feet but is listed as a weed and invasive species as it can rapidly crowd out other plants and can also become noxious to ungulates when it dies.

What brassica are you putting in, cabbage, turnips?

7/11/17 @ 2:53 PM
splitG2
splitG2
User since 10/12/07

I'll be planting a brassica/clover mix on one half and radish/oats on other half of all my plots. Then will over seed in mid august with winter rye on the  radish/oats half.... Southern Price Cty.

7/11/17 @ 1:15 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01

I'll be planting my brassica plots next weekend in Shawano County.  I was up 2 weeks ago spraying the plots with glyphosate in anticipation.  Also sprayed the corn and soybeans. 

7/11/17 @ 10:16 AM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

SplitG2, i will be planting this weekend or next (Forest county), depends on if it has dried out some in the last two weeks as i have a little work to do on the plot before its ready to plant. Post a pic of the sorghum if you get a chance.

7/11/17 @ 9:58 AM
splitG2
splitG2
User since 10/12/07

Heading up this weekend to plant my fall plots. Its a week earlier than I wanted to plant but have commitments for the following 2 weekends. I planted a sorghum screening on the edge of one plots about 4 weeks ago. Supposedly it should get 8' tall. Anxious to see how its growing.  Anyone else planting this weekend?

6/7/17 @ 9:55 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01
Justin - I am thinking you need around 35-40 horse to turn most roto-tillers.  I used on last year on 4 food plots and depending on the soil, they work great, but are very slow.  I personally think a 6' disk is a better option or even a 3 pt disk for those really small to reach areas. 
5/31/17 @ 4:26 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01

We did our main crop planting of rr corn and beans this past weekend.  Wet conditions delayed progress the previous weekend and made things slower this weekend as well.  Everything is in now.  I also sprayed all of the future brassica plots with the first round of glyphosate and mowed clover for the first time this year. 

Picture 1 is of my 2 buddies as 1 disks and the other is running the 4 row corn planter through. 

Picture 2 is on the ground of that same area.  It was a bean field last year and I found 3 sheds that morning going through and putting down 100# per acre of 19-19-19 that was disked in after that as a supplement to what the planter puts down. 

food plots photo by GreatOutdoors2001
5/26/17 @ 8:54 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Never with a small ford . I rented a tractor and tiller and it did a great job on my sandy, dry marsh . It was land that was a cranberry bog a century ago  . All bumpy and canary grass . 

If you had time it would be better to spray the weeds first  , then till when dead . A disc would work for that . Plus a lot cheaper and much less upkeep  . 

5/26/17 @ 7:18 AM
Justin01
User since 3/30/13

Has anyone personally tried a rototiller on a ford 9n? I've read everything and still on the fence. I need to buy a disc or tiller ASAP I'd even buy a 4 foot if it would work decent. I understand it's to fast but some say in the right soil conditions it will work. It's a lot of money to spend I have sandy soil thoughts?? I will have about 3-4 acres total of food

plots

3/24/17 @ 1:24 PM
wale
User since 2/12/13
SplitG2 can u turn on ur pm please 
3/24/17 @ 10:01 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01

Good luck with the frost seeding, should work well for you.  That is how we plant our clover, just use a prior year brassica patch and frost seed the following spring.  I'll be doing some of that this weekend when I am up shed hunting.

3/24/17 @ 9:34 AM
splitG2
splitG2
User since 10/12/07
wale, clover has worked so well for us that we never had to mix it with anything. I would think if you got minimal rain that alfalfa would flourish similar to chicory, where as the clover would go somewhat dormant....I frost seeded my brassica plots with clover 2 weeks ago. never frost seeded before so I'm interested how well it worked. I'll know in a month for turkey season!
3/23/17 @ 7:47 PM
wale
User since 2/12/13
Anybody use a Clover and alfalfa mix in a food plot? If so how did it turn out? 
2/27/17 @ 3:47 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

That stuff is all over certain ponds around me.  I never knew it was invasive.  All I know is that I cut down pockets for casting around some of the ponds and the stuff grows back ultra quickly.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 786 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE