Taking guests on your boat.

7/7/14 @ 8:54 PM
ORIGINAL POST
TTESOX
TTESOX
USER since 6/20/01
Just wondering, if you invite people to fish with you is it wrong to expect anything in return?? Before I had my boat I would always offer to pay for launch fee, gas or lunch/dinner if someone took me out, now I pay for my trucks' gas towing to lake, gas/oil for boat, beer/snacks and launch fee, am I wrong to at least expect an offer?? Comments welcome... Speechless
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 30 Posts
7/27/14 @ 1:00 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
USER since 6/17/01
Buddy of mine owns a big charter boat. 40ft+ and twin 454s. He said we can fish all we want, just gotta pay for fuel. Typically $30-40 a guy per trip. Very nice price, esp with all the room we have and all the top equipment. I'm always willing to run rods and help with boat maintenance. I get a kick out of guys who see $550 for up to 6 people for a charter and then ask well how much for 3 guys?

Post Your Comment
7/27/14 @ 10:27 AM
POPPER
POPPER
USER since 6/20/01
When on long/extended trips we usually start a kitty for all equal expenses.....100 bucks a piece to start, works well! This is the first time in 15-16yrs that I have been without a boat, and have saved quite a bit of money no doubt. 1 buddy pony'd up and bought his own. I'm going to enjoy this for a bit longer seeing as I'm the guy with all the other outdoor money draining equipment!

Post Your Comment
7/25/14 @ 7:54 PM
Poison
Poison
USER since 3/2/10
Same as many others on here. If I ask them to go fishing I don't expect anything. If a group of us coordinate a trip somewhere I lay out in advance that some cost splitting will need to be done.

Post Your Comment
7/25/14 @ 5:22 PM
irishman46
irishman46
USER since 3/23/12
I and a couple friends go out on Lake Michigan with a few friends with bigger boats,all met on LL.We always kick in $20/25 each.It's a small price to pay for something so enjoyable.If going to an inland lake with a bud we just split cost,whose ever boat is used.It's the right thing to do,and I would expect the same.

Post Your Comment
7/25/14 @ 1:19 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10
Watchinbobbers -

My guess is the outrageous launch fee is from somewhere in the flatland near the Chain O' Lakes. I'm pretty sure the launch fee for Bangs Lake is something like $25 or $30. It's pretty damn ridiculous.

Post Your Comment
7/25/14 @ 9:31 AM
Fishercreek
Fishercreek
USER since 10/2/05
If someone asks if I am going fishing and asks to come along or says "when are we going fishing?", an offer to chip in for the launch fee, gas, or offer to bring food or drinks is the polite thing for them to do.

If I call someone and say "I am going out- Do you want to come along?" I expect nothing as I asked them to come along. If they offer, great, if not, great-I was going with or without them. If I am asked along by another I always offer something in return-That is how I was raised and what I believe in. I have fished with others who invite themselves along or beg to go fishing and offer nothing. After a couple of trips like that, I won't take them again.

I have a friend who offers to chip in every time, even though he knows I will say don't worry about it. He has gotten wise and brings food and beverages, or bait, or beats me to the launch fee envelope, or pays for the gas when ever he can beat me to the cashier.

On the other hand, I have a brother-in-law who used to invite himself and never chip in, and he no longer gets sets foot on my boat.

Those who run their own boats and fish with friends or others on another boat, definitely are better about chipping in as they realize the associated costs.

Post Your Comment
7/25/14 @ 7:54 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01
On several occasions someone has asked to go,offered to pay half the cost,then after the tip fail to pony up.

One was someone I'd met thru LL and fished with only that one time. He PM'ed me later saying he forgot to pay.

Another was a co-worker of my wife. I used to take him out once every year during the spring walleye run. One year we didn't catch many fish and he "forgot" to pay. Gas to the river in my truck is $40 plus boat gas and bait. $25 isn't too much to expect...I said something to my wife who said something to him. He finally kicked in but did mention that we didn't catch many fish that trip. Apparently he didn't feel he'd gotten his $$$';s worth. BTW,he lost a bunch of my hair jigs...We looked at it differently: He thought of it as a cheap guide trip with a no (limit of) fish,no pay. I looked at it as a favor to someone who didn't have a boat.

Another was a friend on an agreed-on trip to 'Bago. It's about 150 miles round trip....He was kind of jealous that I caught an almost-new fishing rod on a reef an hinted that since I had a ton of rods and don't use lower-end gear maybe he could put it to better use...It's irrelevant but He earns a lot more money than I do

I have not fished with any of them since those particular trips.

I have other friends who I'd pay the whole cost for a cross-state fishing trip.

If I feel I've been deliberately taken advantage of - whether fishing or anything else - I reduce or eliminate contact with that person. I have no tolerance for folks who callously use others.

Post Your Comment
7/25/14 @ 7:01 AM
Watchinbobbers
Watchinbobbers
USER since 6/30/10
Where are you paying 25$ for a launch fee? In my area they range from 3$ to 6$.

Post Your Comment
7/25/14 @ 2:20 AM
poorboy1
poorboy1
USER since 1/12/11
If I buy the bait, fill the boat and truck with gas, pay a launch fee of anywhere from $15-$25 I would expect the other person to offer up some kind money to help defer the costs.

Fishing a hot bite from anywhere 5-7 days straight can get kinda expensive and I think it's only fair that the person who is fishing with you shares on the expenses. The guys who I have fished with in the past and never even offered are left at home to read my fishing reports .....

Poorboy

Post Your Comment
7/9/14 @ 4:39 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11
If you invite them they owe you nothing. Should they offer? Yes, they should just to be courteous and you should have the decency not to accept it.

Unless its a big trip. Then I will say right up front, do you want to go fish XXX and split the gas? If they say yes, then I expect gas money.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 30 Posts