Stocking Perch

5/23/14 @ 6:22 AM
ORIGINAL POST
walranger5
walranger5
USER since 10/1/12
Alright Campers. lets think positive and say they will give us permision to stock Perch. What are our assets? Perch eggs can be collected with xmas trees or brush bundles. Xmas trees are free, but I believe we can make brush bundles pretty easy. I thought if you took a common concrete block, stuff branches in it then pour a little concrete in it, you have the brush/anchor all in one. Easy to set out and remove. Fish farmers use brush bundles to control the populations up or down. We have boats with live wells, however in Maryland they hunt for wild ones using a canoe and a 5 gallon bucket, I suppose time in the bucket/how far to travel etc... You can use an aquarium pump with a converter for oxygen ( I invented this to use for fishing tournaments, works slick) You just can't boil the eggs in air, keep to the side or seperate chamber/divider perhaps? What safe areas have you where you are? Backwater bay? Canal? Do you have a pond to donate/use? We only have to help the perch get started. This is a simple way that will only result in more perch surviving the spawn attempt. Low cost, no hatchery diseases, and nature already picked the parents (genetics) thier concerns/excuses. Small groups all around the lake can do this, not labor intensive just giving some perch eggs a boat ride to a more hospitable location. 2 to 3 weeks a year? We can have a lake full of perch and walleye and other native fish, or continue/versus a lake full of invasive species that we have know. So what assets do you have, a boat, a pond, a couple days to donate time, what? Think get creative we have options!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
6/7/14 @ 9:35 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
It should be public knowledge on the records of where the 110m went to exactly. There is so much money shuffling with government entities it will make you go dizzy. Wonder if there is info available on where 18 billion would go!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone knows how to look up this kind of info it would help a lot to understanding where all these tax dollars are being spent exactly. I would enjoy reading budgets for both.

Post Your Comment
6/7/14 @ 7:13 AM
walranger5
walranger5
USER since 10/1/12
Just read an interesting article The Fish that Got Away 6/5/14 Eric Sharp Bridge Magazine. Regarding the barriers in Chicago very good. It seems the cost of the barriers so far is $110. million dollars, and the want $18 billion more. The current barriers are considered demonstration barriers! You believe that? $110. million bucks and these are just demo barriers? They complain the cost of stocking Perch is to high? Under the biological rules of biotic resistance, restoring the native fish/predator population turns the entire ecosystem into a natural barrier against invasives getting a foothold/thriving. $110 million bucks for one spot and they're just demos? Restoring native doesn't intefere with barrier construction in any way. Asian Carp have gotten past several regular dams, $18 billion dollars for a swim thru design 25 years from now? Stocking Perch much cheaper and easier, and they can still play musical carp barriers. This is our money they're spending, and our lake!

Post Your Comment
6/3/14 @ 8:24 AM
walranger5
walranger5
USER since 10/1/12
Brush bundles or xmas trees are for collecting egg masses, tho one lake they were used for perch habiat/cover because of heavy predation. We only have to get the perch past the stage one food bottleneck (per the experts the problem) the drowned river mouths of the east side of the lake are where the spawning grounds are, and lots of food for invasive white perch according to MDNR biologist R. O'Niel, why not real perch? Lower the 50 perch per day limit, and close during spawn costs nothing. Pretty standard if you really want to restore a species. Mach this doesn't have to end badly, logic,reason common sense the truth all are required to fix this problem. We are all required to do what's best for the lake. We/they can only do what the law allows. Twisting the truth is not legal. The other 2 options is to raise money to pay off polititians to get the truth back, or let the court decide. Paying off polititians would take too long, and the DNR's wouldn't get the credit they deserve for "manageing" OUR natural resources. This has to end well for the lakes, what you or I or they want matters little. Just want to help the Perch survive the spawn, we can do that, doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. The DNR's can get the credit either way, management is always responsible always!

Post Your Comment
5/26/14 @ 8:49 AM
perch chaser
perch chaser
USER since 2/6/03
Creating additionl spawning habitat is not the answer, plenty of ideal habitat in LM. The real problem is survival of perch fry after the spawn. The Zebra & Quagga mussels (filter feeders) have pretty much destroyed all of the bottom food chain (zooplankton & fresh water crustations) along with the donut which moved them around the lake. Perch fry cannot survive without these two crucial elements. A previous poster once mentioned on another site, it would cost 16 cents per perch to raise one to 4". That was from data over ten years old. I have yet to see at what size perch would have to be raised in order to survive? In order to attain fishable numbers you might be talking about millions of dollars having to be spent every year. In todays economy GOOD LUCK !!! with that.

Edited on 5/26/14 8:57 AM
Post Your Comment
5/25/14 @ 8:01 PM
ultramicro
ultramicro
USER since 6/17/11
Simply creating better perch spawning and fry/fingerling survival habitat (such as brushpiles or bundles, as was mentioned) onsite (in appropriate places) might be a practical approach. At Lake Shasta in CA, I worked building huge brushpiles (all over 100' x 10' x 5') on secondary points to serve as habitat for very young black bass. I recall that our efforts did appear to be very successful... Smile

Edited on 5/25/14 8:23 PM
Post Your Comment
5/24/14 @ 4:38 PM
machoprogrammer
machoprogrammer
USER since 1/19/07
No offense intended, but this is not going to end well

Post Your Comment
5/24/14 @ 6:11 AM
walranger5
walranger5
USER since 10/1/12
They have 2 choices, they can make the right call or the wrong call. 90% of what they said at the "summit" was pure BS. But as they called the "summit" they have to ride out the Charade, as I said only 2 choices. I believe we're more than ready if they make the wrong call. Since you can't get no higher than a summit, a change in venue is required. One where you get more than 1 to 3 minutes to make a point or one or two questions between speakers, and we got one of those. Or do you really believe Lake Michigan is now the new Lake Superior because they say so? I dont care what they want to do, I only know what we have to do to fix this problem. Now look around you what aasets do you see we can use to help the Perch survive the spawn, that's all we have to do is figure out how to do that! Look and think, you'll see how easy this can be, and we cannot ignore the Asian Carp connection, soon to be with us.

Post Your Comment