Re-stablish Walleyes in Okauchee Lake, WI

2/27/16 @ 11:58 AM
ORIGINAL POST
badgerfishman
badgerfishman
USER since 7/14/11
addendum from 3 yrs ago.I am trying to get walleyes re-established again. After speaking with the DNR, Chief of Police, Town of Ocon, Lake Assoc, I have found out some info. Basically the cheapest solution would be putting some kind of barrier/screen on dam to prevent the fish from going over. The most expensive would be putting in a fish ladder like the Jefferson Dam has done. The Ocon Police are in charge of the dam between Okauchee & Ocon. The DNR would need to approve. The DNR did stock like 40,000 fingerlings in fall 2014. Very few walleyes found in last DNR report a couple yrs ago (10,000 extended length walleyes were stocked in mid 2000's by walleyes for tmrw which has now shut down in the area. Okauchee has too great of a structure to ignore. It gets 100 feet deep with a natural cisco population & loads of underwater humps, islands,etc) The problem is preventing the fish from swimming out of the lake (and probably to a lesser degree, the northern pike abundance. The musky population has also dropped way off (from DNR report) and muskies weren't even stocked last yr d/t a die off at a fish hatchery & muskies inc stocking Labelle instead. Would people support a barrier? North, Ocon, Fowler, La Belle all stock walleyes so they shouldn't care. Now that they started stocking Muskies in La Belle, they could split that with Ocon b/c they swim down to LaBelle eventually anyways. Let me know your guys thoughts, etc. If they would support a barrier, then I would try to re-establish local walleye chapter again to help with mobile hatchery & spawning improvements. Thx Badge. Will Move to forum area for further discussion.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 77 Posts
TODAY @ 8:20 PM
badgerfishman
badgerfishman
USER since 7/14/11

Thx so much Nihsif.  I was a momma's boy for 45 yrs.

Update: I spent the last 90 minutes at the launch area and sold 12 T-shirts that puts us around $900 dollars or 450 walleyes. I left after the mosquito bites were fast & furious. Would like to get to 4000 walleyes so about 3,550 more walleyes to go.  Will be at launch 9am sat & sun for a few hrs each day. Thx, Shawn

Post Your Comment
8/16/17 @ 8:05 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

badgerfishman, condolences on losing your mother

Post Your Comment
8/16/17 @ 3:16 PM
badgerfishman
badgerfishman
USER since 7/14/11
Gettin Lakers is last on my list.  Walleyes & Smallies (stocking & improving habitat) are really my most important goals.  Vegas I here you might offer up a free musky guide trip as a raffle to raise money.  If people would take the time to investigate, Okauchee has the best potential for the biggest fish in the area.  I have pictures/stories of 10 lb + fish caught over and over -> unless you have time to drive to Green Bay.

Post Your Comment
8/16/17 @ 8:12 AM
vegas492
vegas492
USER since 5/21/03

Consider this...lakers are not native to the lake.  Lakers eat a ton.  If you want a cisco base to remain in the lake to produce those big muskies and ultimately big walleyes, well, then you should consider not putting lakers in.

If you can get the walleyes in, just wait a few years and see how they take off and what impact that has on the ciscos.  If there are still a lot present, then consider lakers.

Post Your Comment
8/16/17 @ 1:41 AM
badgerfishman
badgerfishman
USER since 7/14/11
So guys, time for some help.  I have had a hard past yr (lost mom to cancer) and with all the crazy politics, I can't think of anything I love more than fishing.  I just spoke with Gallon's today on an order of extended length walleyes that I placed this spring.  He didn't know at the time if he could help, but said today that I could get 3 to 4,000 extended length walleyes (delivered the end of sept).  These fish cost $1.80 to 2.00 per fish.  I have a few hundered T shirts that I need to sell (or donations are welcome). I have been informed by the DNR that I can't sell them directly at the launch, but can very close by.  This weekend I will be on or around Okauchee all day Sat & Sun.  I also want to focus my efforts on improving the walleyes & smallies (I caught some nice ones lately), improving the white bass population (state record caught in Okauchee), slot on Northerns, maintaining the musky stocking as promised by the DNR, and potential Lake Trout stocking with the abundance of cisco and depth of lake.  I also want to know if anyone has any interest in helping build fish cribs or fish sticks to improve small mouth bass fishing, spawning, etc - want to place some this winter).  If you think about it, Okauchee doesn't really have a gamefish to ice fish for other then hammer handle pike. Would be nice to have walleyes, lakers, or big pike in the future.  I have found some old articles about walleyes (see attached picture). This lake can produce giants if we just give it a chance.  Feel free to DM me. If we can get everyone to buy 1 t-shirt a year for the next 3-5 yrs, we are well on our way. Thanks, Badge

Post Your Comment
4/30/16 @ 9:36 AM
badgerfishman
badgerfishman
USER since 7/14/11
Last response from DNR: Shawn,

I am looking into the permitting portion of the proposed net pen idea. I don’t believe there is a permitting process for this on inland lakes, bu there is for the great lakes. I will let you know what I find out.

FYI-walleye are very finicky and they do not accept dry feed easily. I would suspect you would need to acclimate them to local plankton sources and supplement feed them 10/64 grade fathead minnows which in the end would cost a lot. Loading densities would have to be drastically lower than what you may observe with salmonid net pen rearing operations. Interesting concept, but a lot of planning would need to go into such an effort. I don’t believe you will have time to get it done prior to this June, but it doesn’t hurt to talk about and research.

If the stocking of lake trout was supported by our trout team we could consider pursuing it. I will send an email to the team to see what they have to say. If we find the trout team supports the idea, we will need to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement to get lake trout stocked, as it would be a new introduction. Again, this project will take some time to gather information, produce documentation and gain proper approvals.

Good ideas, thank you.

Benjamin Heussner

Fisheries Biologist

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

S91W39091 Hwy 59

Eagle Wisconsin, 53119

414-303-0109

Post Your Comment
4/25/16 @ 4:04 PM
badgerfishman
badgerfishman
USER since 7/14/11
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_46403-255649--,00.html

this is the correct link

Post Your Comment
4/25/16 @ 3:58 PM
badgerfishman
badgerfishman
USER since 7/14/11
http://www.grandhavenoffshorechallenge.com/gallery/net-pen-project

Next update: seeing if we can institute a NET PEN PROJECT for walleyes. Waiting for response from DNR. Also, brought up getting some Lakers stocked as well.

See link above to learn more about. They are doing it now for salmon in Michigan.

Thanks.

Post Your Comment
4/19/16 @ 9:53 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
USER since 10/17/04
Not sure if you have a Facebook account but you could start a page for the shirts and a bunch of us could share and spread the word.

Post Your Comment
4/19/16 @ 6:33 PM
badgerfishman
badgerfishman
USER since 7/14/11
picture of shirt

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 77 Posts