SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Re-stablish Walleyes in Okauchee Lake, WI

2/27/16 @ 11:58 AM
INITIAL POST
badgerfishman
User since 7/14/11
addendum from 3 yrs ago.I am trying to get walleyes re-established again. After speaking with the DNR, Chief of Police, Town of Ocon, Lake Assoc, I have found out some info. Basically the cheapest solution would be putting some kind of barrier/screen on dam to prevent the fish from going over. The most expensive would be putting in a fish ladder like the Jefferson Dam has done. The Ocon Police are in charge of the dam between Okauchee & Ocon. The DNR would need to approve. The DNR did stock like 40,000 fingerlings in fall 2014. Very few walleyes found in last DNR report a couple yrs ago (10,000 extended length walleyes were stocked in mid 2000's by walleyes for tmrw which has now shut down in the area. Okauchee has too great of a structure to ignore. It gets 100 feet deep with a natural cisco population & loads of underwater humps, islands,etc) The problem is preventing the fish from swimming out of the lake (and probably to a lesser degree, the northern pike abundance. The musky population has also dropped way off (from DNR report) and muskies weren't even stocked last yr d/t a die off at a fish hatchery & muskies inc stocking Labelle instead. Would people support a barrier? North, Ocon, Fowler, La Belle all stock walleyes so they shouldn't care. Now that they started stocking Muskies in La Belle, they could split that with Ocon b/c they swim down to LaBelle eventually anyways. Let me know your guys thoughts, etc. If they would support a barrier, then I would try to re-establish local walleye chapter again to help with mobile hatchery & spawning improvements. Thx Badge. Will Move to forum area for further discussion.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 90 posts
9/5/17 @ 1:50 PM
badgerfishman
User since 7/14/11

Hi Shawn,

Great news, a 10 per acre large fingerling walleye quota has been approved for Okauchee in 2018.

Thanks for your support, have a great weekend!

Benjamin Heussner

Fisheries Biologist

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

S91W39091 Hwy 59

Eagle Wisconsin, 53119

414-303-0109

9/4/17 @ 8:24 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

The thought process that went into stocking northern pike into Pewaukee was this...

1) Pike will give the ice fisherman another species to legally target.

2) Pike will eat the smaller gills/panfish in the weeds and hopefully lead to increased size in said panfish.

I'm about as anti-pike as you can get.  But, on these two counts I have to say the DNR succeeded.

Here's what they didn't count on...pike reproduced like crazy in 07 and 08 in the floods.  Add those years along with the stocking and now you have good sized pike in Pewaukee.

I still think that you are trying to turn Okauchee into something that it isn't anymore.  But, I applaud the effort.  Just remember, you put them in, the DNR will manage them.  You won't get a 15 inch size limit.  18 is realistic.  Just like Pewaukee.  

9/3/17 @ 10:11 AM
badgerfishman
User since 7/14/11

So I have to admit Pewaukee has done an awesome job re-establishing walleyes the last few yrs.  I do have a question for the DNR however.  They told me Okauchee has way to many hammer handle pike right now which has hurt the walleyes and we are trying to add a slot to remove some smaller pike.  So why would Pewaukee stock northern pike the last 3 yrs along with the walleye.  Once those northern grow they are going to eat those walleyes?

8/28/17 @ 10:42 PM
badgerfishman
User since 7/14/11

Ok guys, some of you are telling me if I want walleyes I can go to Lac La Belle and catch all I want, or drive to Winnebago (3 hrs roundtrip, so much for a spur of the moment quick get a way.). Or fish Pine, Ocon, Nags, Pewaukee.  Well, I have fished them all and I don't see too many Walleyes over 18 caught and kept (except Pewaukee ice fishing - not by me, I don't ice fish Pewaukee).  Yeah, you get 1 here and there. La Belle, forget about it, (1 over 28). 

Plus you are paying a $10 launch fee or so, EVERY single time you fish. Let that sink in.

Okauchee is a FREE launch.  It was not included in the 3 over 18 inch regulations. Lets make it a destination to actually be able to keep some fish (over 15).  Take 2 of your yearly launch fees from a different lake & donate to the Walleye Fund each yr (1 t-shirt) and we will have what most of us want.  A local walleye fish fry.  Lets make it happen.

8/28/17 @ 7:25 AM
badgermickey
User since 6/13/16

Badge - great work and information reagrding re-establishing walleye on the lake.  Since I only visit the launch twice a year (launch and pick up) - where can I contribute to this fund? Is there anything at Musky Mike's?

8/25/17 @ 7:48 PM
badgerfishman
User since 7/14/11

Who Is Bill Binkelman?

Of Binkelman, Ron Lindner once wrote, "If Perry fired the first shot in the modern angling revolution, Bill Binkelman was its relentless Paul Revere, and together with Carl Lowrance, they changed the ways that people fished."

8/25/17 @ 3:36 PM
badgerfishman
User since 7/14/11

Some of the articles from the 60's from legendary fisherman Bill Binkelman.  The full articles are at Musky Mike's.  A customer found and dropped them off in the spring.

Re-stablish Walleyes in Okauchee Lake, WI photo by badgerfishman
8/25/17 @ 1:27 AM
badgerfishman
User since 7/14/11
with all due respect, I have to disagree.  I have found newspaper articles (you can view 3 of the full articles at Musky Mike's bait shop if you like & have talked to many other fisherman that have told me that they caught 5-10 lb walleyes on a regular basis.  I even had a fishing guide tell me 2 days ago that he used to catch walleyes on topwater 20 yrs ago - a jitterbug (he grew up on Okauchee).  From what they have said, is that most people didn't fish them or "know" how to fish them so this led to people thinking there weren't any. Most people fish the bays or weed edges for bass.  People didn't fish suspended fish in deep basins (the fish chasing the cisco).  Plus stocking in Okauchee benefits all of the surrounding lakes.

The lake over the yrs has benefited the Largemouth & the stunted Northern Pike for sure, but that is because NO ONE has managed the Okauchee fishery for decades.  I agree that it will take some work. If we were allowed to harvest small pike, add fish cribs & sticks and improve some spawning areas, then things would improve greatly.  If we could place a barrier on the dam, then it would be GAME ON. (Don't worry musky guys, they could divide that up between lakes based on size).

I want someone, anyone, to tell me or name ONE thing that has been done to improve Okauchee Lake fishing in the past 50 yrs?  Walleye were caught routinely back in the day, but the DNR stopped stocking for 15 yrs (1999-2014).

And Nihsif, this sentence from Ben doesn't sound like he disagrees with me "Good Morning Shawn, I am in the process of submitting a stocking quota for large fingerling walleyes on Okauchee Lake in 2018.  I am not certain the stocking quota will be approved as funding is tight, so we will have to keep our fingers crossed."

Pewaukee has received 36,000 of extended length walleyes 2 of the last 3 yrs, + frye from the DNR, plus all that Walleyes for Tomorrow has done and they have not shown any natural reproduction.  But there are plenty of fish to catch already. The same goes with Lac La Belle, Ocon, Nagawicka, the Nemahbins. etc.  At least, if you stock Okauchee then it will benefit surrounding lakes and hopefully a few stay in Okauchee.  I see the main way of getting to the holy grail of "natural reproduction" is through improving spawning habitat.  The draw to me is that Okauchee will be able to produce Monsters (which the past has proven) vs the other lakes around.  If everyone that fishes Okauchee (a free launch) would donate $1/month for the next 5 yrs (or buy 1 T-shirt a yr), I trully believe that we would reach our goal.

8/24/17 @ 5:51 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

not  a big fan of Ben H., but he may be correct here... no offense, but I did go thru the whole history of Okauchee in this thread a while back, and it was shown that this impoundment  isn't suited to natural walleye production, same for muskies... so, unless the lake association votes to pay for annual stockings in addition to any the DNR may do... it's an attempt to force something that just doesn't fit the environment ??

that being said, I really do appreciate your desires and goals

8/22/17 @ 9:06 AM
badgerfishman
User since 7/14/11

Hi Guys, this is my email to DNR & response from May 16th of this yr. As you can see, the DNR will not let us stock smallmouth, but can improve habitat.  Also, for walleyes to take, we will need to harvest some small pike which eat everything.  (and then will also allow bigger pike to flourish as well)

Hi Ben,

You mentioned to me last year that you were trying to get 10,000 ext length walleye for Okauchee. Did that happen do you know? Also, you had said the Northern Pike limits would be changed to daily bag limits of 5 with no size limit. Can I get an update on that as well? Plus, I have a lot of people that want Okauchee to start stocking smallies to increase their numbers. Would the DNR be able to help with that? How many would be an appropriate amount? Would Gollon's be an acceptable source for smallies? Plus, if I want to add fish cribs like Pewaukee Lake, what do I need to do? Also, some people have said that they would like our White Bass population to return (the state record is from Okauchee)? How could we go about that?  Thx, Shawn

Good Morning Shawn,

I am in the process of submitting a stocking quota for large fingerling walleyes on Okauchee Lake in 2018. I am not certain the stocking quota will be approved as funding is tight, so we will just have to keep our fingers crossed.

As far as the northern pike regulation goes, the no minimum length limit and daily bag limit of five was denied by our statewide northern pike team. The northern pike team is developing a slot size for our toolbox and hope to try it on Okauchee Lake. We will have to start the process over and go through the WCC spring hearings in 2019.  

Our WDNR propagation system does not have a source of smallmouth bass, so we are not able to provide smallmouth bass for Okauchee Lake. Given the adequate natural reproduction of smallmouth bass in the Oconomowoc River system, I would not recommend stocking an outside source of smallmouth bass without some genetic research to determine the suitability of any potential outside sources. Given the limitations of genetic information on smallmouth bass and documented natural reproduction in the Oconomowoc River, I would have to deny any stocking permit application for smallmouth in Okauchee Lake.

As for white bass, I am afraid there is nothing we can do to improve the white bass fishery.  

Moving forward, I will continue to pursue a large fingerling walleye stocking program and provide a northern pike harvest opportunity on Okauchee Lake. Thank you for your questions, please let me know if I can be of further assistance. 

Have a great day! 

Benjamin Heussner 

Fisheries Biologist

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

8/21/17 @ 11:11 AM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10

Badger, you need to round up a crew to run for the lake association positions, and take that board over.

8/21/17 @ 10:46 AM
badgerfishman
User since 7/14/11

Hello, wanted to update people on what I have done lately. I went to Okauchee Lake Management District June 12th meeting and brought up point by point (in front of the DNR) how they are NOT following their recommendations from their extensive 2014 Okauchee Lake Fish survey.  (The meeting notes are included at bottom, but do not really explain the issues, just talking points). I also went in front of the CMTE explaining how Lake Management Districts around the state have taken a more active role in fish stocking, structure improvement, etc. (I provided a 50 page study from the UW as proof). I was hoping for OLMD support in having part of OLMD focus on improving fishing (which is one of the main reasons to have a Lake Association.  I will not go into all the benefits here (most should be obvious, but also helps local businesses). The study I provided showed over 90% of lake owners had someone fish every year.  The OLMD did not have anyone pn the Board currently working to improve fishing. I said that this would be of great benefit b/c Lake Assoc's get discount prices on buying fish to stock.  They are also tax exempt.

I also suggested that if Lake Owners add a $5-10 dollar/yr increase to their tax bill (it is about $230/yr now) & we dedicated it to stocking fish & improving habitat, that we would have one of the best fisheries around. All members verbally opposed adding the 5-10 dollar tax. However, they all approved funds for muskat removal of which at the time only 6 homeowners voiced complaint about. (vs an estimated 900 homeowners that would have someone fish every yr).  Note:  since that meeting, I have spoken with 40-50 owners and not one has opposed increasing this tax.

Here are the recommendations from the DNR 2013-2014 study

Okauchee Lake Fisheries Management Recommendations 

1.) Implement a northern pike regulation of a maximum length (not minimum, but maximum) limit of 24” and a daily bag limit of 2 to improve size structure and provide angler harvest opportunity. 

2.)Begin a large fingerling walleye stocking program at a rate of 20 per surface acre on an alternate year basis.  

3.)Increase stocking rate to 2 muskellunge per surface acre using the combined surface acreage of 3,256 on an annual basis (this includes the size of Okauchee, La La Belle, Fowler, Okauchee)

4.)Continue to monitor bass and panfish populations through catch rates, average sizes, and  abundance estimates. 

5.)Implement storm water BMPs throughout the watershed to control nutrient loading into the lake. 

6.) Reduce Eurasian Water Milfoil and curly leaf pondweed abundance using hand pulling, mechanical harvest or a selective herbicide. 

The DNR admitted that they are NOT following any of the 1st 3 recommendations.  It was stated that they were just recommendations.  In which I respond, "then why even spend tax money on doing the study"

I also asked if we could possibly take donations at the launch. Set up a box & ask for a "fish stocking donation" of $2, $5, etc. Whatever anyone wanted to donate, seeing how the launch is free.  Again, just voluntary. Didn't get any support from the Board.

I was then told by the Board "You have 5 more minutes & then we are cutting you off"

Please respond with your comments, ideas, etc.  I have a lot more but only want to do address a couple issues at a time to keep your attention (and mine). thx, Badge.

Notes from meeting:  12. Discuss Okauchee Lake Fisheries

Ben Heussner, Wisconsin DNR Fisheries Biologist, and S. Rutka were present regarding a discussion of Okauchee Lake Fisheries. S. Rutka was an avid fisherman that had lived on Okauchee Lake for ten years. He loved to fish and fished many lakes in the area. He had chosen to move to Okauchee Lake because of the structure of the lake and types of fish available for fishing. He requested the OLMD consider allocating monies toward stocking of the lake. S. Rutka provided history regarding the type of fish and fingerling sizes stocked in Okauchee Lake in the past, noting the walleye population and musky populations were down in recent stocking years. He thought the method of stocking in years of die-off at the fish hatcheries was unfair to certain lakes and should be more equitable instead of one lake getting their full quota of stocking and others getting nothing as had happened in the past with Okauchee Lake. He requested the OLMD consider setting aside resources to improve the fisheries of Okauchee Lake. There were many ways to help. He had suggested implementation of a launch fee to assist in funding stocking the lake to no avail. He had also discussed a reduced price for fingerlings if purchased by the district. Lake management districts in the area did provide funding for stocking of the lakes in the area. He requested the OLMD do the same.

B. Heussner explained recommendations for stocking remained important. He appreciated the enthusiasm for fishing that S. Rutka displayed in bringing this issue forward. The DNR set forth fisheries management recommendations and used a couple of hatcheries for their stocking each year. There was a prioritization of the system with stocking rates and guidelines for stocking followed each year by the DNR. Prior to each year, quotas were submitted and it was always hopeful that the fisheries would be able to fill the orders. It was important to note that shortfalls in the stocking rates did occur due to die-off situations at the hatcheries in some years. To offset the years where the quotas were not fulfilled, the DNR worked on fulfilling some lakes at a higher stocking rate in the following years to make up for the shortfall. The typical method was to stock at a rate of 1 fish per surface acre. For Okauchee Lake this would be approximately 1,200 walleye. Due to its poor history of fingerling survival in recent years, Okauchee Lake did not meet the criteria for walleye stocking in the year with the fingerling shortfalls at the hatchery. Since then production had increased statewide and production was now catching up with demand. As a result, the stocking quotas for Okauchee Lake were being revisited for 2018. In fisheries management stocking the lake was considered a “band-aid” approach. Okauchee Lake was loaded with black crappies, northern pike, panfish and gamefish. The walleye population has struggled because the walleye fingerlings provide food for these types of fish and often do not survive. He was hopeful that a rule change could be implemented in future years regarding harvesting of northern pike from Okauchee Lake to allow the fisheries population to be a bit more equalized.

He also noted Pewaukee Lake did not have a budgeted expense for stocking the lake. Some other lake management districts throughout the state did. Partnerships were important in getting things into the state budget. The DNR stocking program would not change until at least 2018 because stocking requests were only allocated in even years. If a lake management district were interested in budgeting to stock the lake, it should be done in odd numbered years. There were certain genetic fish requirements that biologically made good fisheries. The DNR did work from certain recommendations. The fish shortage referenced by S. Rutka was due to an amount of funding allocated through the state budget annually. The DNR had contracts with private producers and because those contract prices were set, quotas could not be easily adjusted in the event of die-off one year. B. Heussner noted that the recommendation of stocking one fish per surface acre still stood for Okauchee Lake and if the fisheries produced, Okauchee Lake would be stocked in 2017.

8/18/17 @ 8:20 PM
badgerfishman
User since 7/14/11

Thx so much Nihsif.  I was a momma's boy for 45 yrs.

Update: I spent the last 90 minutes at the launch area and sold 12 T-shirts that puts us around $900 dollars or 450 walleyes. I left after the mosquito bites were fast & furious. Would like to get to 4000 walleyes so about 3,550 more walleyes to go.  Will be at launch 9am sat & sun for a few hrs each day. Thx, Shawn

8/16/17 @ 8:05 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

badgerfishman, condolences on losing your mother

8/16/17 @ 3:16 PM
badgerfishman
User since 7/14/11
Gettin Lakers is last on my list.  Walleyes & Smallies (stocking & improving habitat) are really my most important goals.  Vegas I here you might offer up a free musky guide trip as a raffle to raise money.  If people would take the time to investigate, Okauchee has the best potential for the biggest fish in the area.  I have pictures/stories of 10 lb + fish caught over and over -> unless you have time to drive to Green Bay.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 90 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE