MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Perch situation on Lake Michigan

8/26/12 @ 4:02 PM
INITIAL POST
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
I will actually start this thread because it takes one guy to whine about it on the reports... Well? Where are they, whats the problem, whats being done to help??? Its been 0ver 10 years that Ive seen any decent action on perch. Last year at the boils I had some luck. Ive basically heard nothing this year from anyone anywhere. Milwaukee down to Racine at least. What do you guys think.
Displaying 76 to 90 of 2,773 posts
10/10/17 @ 11:29 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

I never did hear the official reason for the permit denial. A letter would have been sent with the reasoning. All I've seen are insults and comment so of people blowing smoke.

10/10/17 @ 5:32 AM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

urrrr  all  wet    LOL

Any new studies you can share with us on your "bathtub perch farm" Tom?

Thanks for checking in this morning, and one question how many pounds of Alewives was that again?  

10/9/17 @ 11:17 AM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

I found it!

10/9/17 @ 8:11 AM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

I still want to see this perch setup in his mom's bathtub

10/9/17 @ 7:50 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

It's the exact response I expected. A conspiracy theorist will never acknowledge the facts.

10/9/17 @ 6:58 AM
skarbo1
User since 2/3/05

Well....You guys tried.....It looks like he's not interested in a honest debate.... Tom's way or the highway it seems........

Why try anymore?

10/8/17 @ 11:57 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

Tom, is your fish farmer friend following the protocol laid out on the stocking permit? That is what I am wanting to know.The MDNR will never approve a permit for public stocking if they are not an approved aquaculture company. They even provide a rather large list on their website of approved companies in each county and the species they are allowed to raise.

You claimed you were previously turned down for a stocking permit by the MDNR. I asked for the exact reasoning. There is a reason I am asking. The reason they turn the permit down will tell you what avenues need to be taken instead. If it was something as simple as the plan not being fully fleshed out (and it truly isn't), then you take a step back, work with a reputable aquaculture company (not saying your guy isn't, you have given no details) and revise or refine the plan and try again. If no public funds are involved and you follow the proper testing protocol as stated on the permit application you should have a good chance of being able to stock.

You've already stated you were in the middle of suing the DNR, etc. It's no wonder they are not working with you when you won't work with them. If you approached and responded to them with the same hostility you do on this forum, I don't blame them for being difficult. People here could help you, you choose to not let them because they point out the failings of your plan.

10/7/17 @ 11:46 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

And not a single question answered...

10/7/17 @ 7:04 AM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

Tom, great post this morning!! It looks like you have a plan and lots of other people ready to jump on board. When you get this fish farm up and running be sure to post some pictures of it and you will have more money donated than you can count. Be sure to have a plan in place to prevent stunting because it sounds like you will have Lake Michigan filled to the brim with perch in no time flat. 

About that couple thousand bucks........you ever think of investing it in some Magic Beans, I know a guy if your looking

10/4/17 @ 5:34 AM
rikj
rikj
User since 7/29/01

Tom No-Posty for a week. Did you finally get sick of slamming your head in the door or are you busy shoveling chicken poo?

Tell us again about the 25# of alewives, or "your all wet".

Missing my morning laugh from you, PM if you would like............

9/29/17 @ 11:15 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

JD --- It was started in early two thousand but I'm not sure if they even exist anymore.  http://www.npr.org/2010/11/24/131561150/indoor-fish-farm-raises-perch

At the time the DNR was providing excess  wild fish fry from a pilot LM research program. With depleted wild stocks  I doubt that still happens.

9/29/17 @ 10:00 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I kind of forgot about "perch" thread when it became more about personalities than perch. Two articles about perch farming In the paper had some interesting points worth talking about. The first was about perch fry being very picky about diet early in life. This makes them a poor choice for aqua-culture because they can't find enough to eat in their first weeks of life. The author said invasives are most likely reducing natural reproduction in the Great Lakes, the same way pond raised fish can't make it in the early stages of life if the food source won't fit their fancy. No surprise there. The other article was about a Green Bay high school that was having some success farming perch in tanks. The idea was to supply local restaurants because of the limits imposed on commercial fishing. The "Fish Fry Friday" is still a big thing here in Green Bay even though most of the fish come from Canada or elsewhere. Perch aren't targeted as much up here because the walleye are going strong and are the main target now. You can still see some hard core "perch jerkers"out there on the Bay. Just not the same numbers like in the "flotillas" of years past.

9/28/17 @ 10:51 AM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

I am still stuck on chemical zooplankton...........

9/28/17 @ 10:36 AM
grub
grub
User since 7/11/01

Does anyone else find it hilarious that Tom's chicken ship perch plan requires actual chicken ship?  Can't make this stuff up...no wonder so many people keep reading this ship.

9/28/17 @ 9:45 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

No actual response so he resorts to insults yet again.

I will ask again: Does your fish farmer produce for the stocking of private waters only or does he produce for stocking in those waters that require permitting and thus require testing for the specified pathogens listed on the permit application form?

When the DNR supposedly rejected your stocking plan, was an actual permit applied for and rejected and what was the exact reason? You should have a rejection letter detailing the specific reasons. I'm guessing I won't get the truth for this question because it won't line up with the story you're trying to sell.

Also, chemical zooplankton? You realize zooplankton are living organisms, right? Chicken manure is used as feed for zooplankton, it does not produce zooplankton itself. I can show the studies on the impact of the various manure feeds (cow, chicken, etc) on zooplankton growth but I doubt you'd read it or understand it.

Displaying 76 to 90 of 2,773 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE