SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Keeping a daily limit (or more)

1/15/16 @ 1:21 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
Keeping a limit can be fine but I agree I don't do it every single time out. I go by the possession limit, I don't eat more than that anyway and if I would run out then I go fishing again. Have to be reasonable, but the possession limit is really hard to enforce. That is the main reason we end up with more restrictive daily limits, its to slow down the possession limit violators. People are less likely to violate the daily limit because they could get caught that day on the water.
Displaying 20 to 29 of 107 posts
1/27/16 @ 8:46 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05
you kids crack me up and I feel sad at the same time....I am sure there some that feel passionate about their feelings of "we have to protect it for our children" BUT....everyone sure assumes a lot, couple old guys (I resemble that remark) go fishing in the morning and they are back in the afternoon....you assume them caught their limit in the morning, maybe they caught ten and went back....is legal to do that you know..and you are going to come back with I watched them....WATCHED them? are you fishing or just waiting with your finger on speed dial to the DNR without knowing what they actually kept ? Noticed a lot of guys fish more with binoculars than poles on Castle Rock. Especially ice fishing. OMG, with all the electronic technolgy we have now it is decimating our lakes...are you kidding me? they make that stuff to catch fisherpeople, not fish, the only real innovation to the normal angler was the flasher unit, most of the rest of this stuff is junk...little fish symbols....beep,beep,beep...c'mon..but the camera?.....sure, if you can get water clear enough to see anything, still don't make them bite...btw a friend got fed up with his and ran the cord into his backyard to watch deer, works really good for you people frustrated with your purchase..... get a zebco 101, 202, or 33....sinker and plain hook, dig some crawlers, throw it out and mind your own business, much more enjoyable.....for everyone....and probably triple your catch.....
1/27/16 @ 1:44 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01
CDS & Everyone else: How true!!! That is reason 2,491 why everyone should attend the Spring Hearings. Don't thik anti's can get on the Conservation Congress? Guess what? Already has happened in Dane County and I can tell you every year the same lady tries to get on in Waukesha County. And every year she gets more votes. don't think it can't happen? Well it can and has!!!!
1/27/16 @ 1:24 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Not to totally change the subject...but....someone mentioned getting kids interested in fishing for future generations. I am a proud Muskies Inc. member, Milwaukee Chapter. We run an outing every year with Big Brothers and Big Sisters (Milwaukee). Typically we get 10 volunteers from the club to run pontoon boats and take out Bigs and Littles for some panfishing. Others stay at the launch and grill out a lunch. Every new kid that shows up gets their own fishing rod. Volunteers stick around to help kids fish off of the dock when the pontoons are done running for the morning. And I'll tell you what. The kids love it. BBBS tells me that they have a waiting list to get kids out fishing. On top of that, volunteers love it as well. We are looking to expand our program because the kids want it and the members want it as well. If you are concerned about taking a kid fishing, reach out to local sport clubs and start something up yourself. It really isn't that hard. Kids love gills. Gills are everywhere and they needn't be big to provide a smile. If you are concerned about getting your son out fishing? Well, my father didn't make it optional for me to fish with him. We. Were. Going. Fishing. So I went. And I grew to love it. Get the kids out, teach them well and see what happens. And for everyone's sake, get involved in making it happen!
1/27/16 @ 1:20 PM
royh4218
User since 11/30/14
You all are ranting about limits but I haven't even caught a legal size walleye in 18 months.I've given up on fishing for anything with a limit and just fish for carp,suckers ,bullheads,etc.
1/27/16 @ 10:40 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01
Gee, why hasn't the Lake-Link Gestapo chimed in and stated a Warden has been notified and turn in "An Anonymous Tip"? Then the Warden can come to the guys house with baseless accusations, started here, with printed copies of the thread, without a warrant, demand to come in the house and check the freezer, and see the man's phone. Of course he was denied access to the house. AND HE HAD BROKEN NO LAWS WHATSOEVER but the Gestapo on this site thought otherwise. I won't call out the LL members. No need to. Absolute God's honest truth. Incident happened to one of my fishing partners last winter. He and I still laugh about it and in the end, LL lost 3 paying members..... If you read this from the start, the DNR should be called on a couple people so GET TO IT!
1/27/16 @ 10:11 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Yeah Lakeshiner, I noticed that too. Total douchebag move on the part of the OP. I had that happen once to me as well on a different thread. I wonder how our lakes and fisheries will be 20 years from now. Kids don't seem to be as attracted to the sport of fishing as they were when I was a kid. Despite all of my best efforts, my son hasn't developed my love of fishing and I don't know one of his friends that have ever picked up a fishing pole in their lives. In addition to that, the older generation will be moving on due to age which could decrease pressure. Sorry to single them out but I know of 4 older gentlemen on the lake we're on that use the lake as their sole source of fish. They tend to keep everything they catch. Even if they stay within their possession limit, they still take a lot of biomass out of the lake. While our generation has its share of meat hogs, there seems to be more of us that practice CPR and selective harvest compared to the older gentlemen that I know. Will these changes improve our fisheries or will the meat hogs of our generation coupled with the ever-improving technology of fishing gear continue to put heavy pressure on the resource. Only time will tell.
1/27/16 @ 9:43 AM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10
I would not say that people are selling them but we probably could all agree that people are probably giving away fish in order to keep going out and bringing home more limits than they should. This is a problem on smaller lakes but short of making it illegal to give away game or putting a yearly take limit on a certain species there isn't much that will change this practice.
1/27/16 @ 9:41 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
Sweet, I see the original poster bailed and deleted his post so now I look like the original....Guess I could delete and make A5¢ the top one lol.
1/27/16 @ 8:55 AM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10
Retired guys selling filets is illegal. If you have evidence of such actions, I would hope that you as a sportsman who cares about the resource reports such actions to the relevant authorities.
1/27/16 @ 8:20 AM
docy
User since 6/14/03
Cds: Spot on. Walranger5:"...retired guys selling fillets are a big problem" Can you verify that statement or an asinine implication.
Displaying 20 to 29 of 107 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE