SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Fishing lights

3/9/16 @ 11:23 AM
INITIAL POST
TeamG
User since 4/28/08
I have seen a lot of led green fishing lights for sale lately anywhere from flashlight size to rope lights that 3m tape to the underside of your boat. I do fish at night quite a bit is it worth getting one of these and what do people usually fish for when they use them?
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
3/18/16 @ 10:52 AM
TeamG
User since 4/28/08
I didn't know that other lights were not allowed while under power. Yet I am wondering how all the carp shooting boats drive around with all those spot lights running and not get into trouble? I can understand the law though seeing that boat with multiple lights can cause confusion on its direction of travel and could result in accidents or near misses. I have had enough near misses during the day while being anchored on spots.
3/17/16 @ 5:36 PM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10
No other lights that may be mistaken for required navigation lights may be exhibited. http://dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/pubs/le/le0301.pdf So party on.
3/17/16 @ 5:23 AM
boattech
User since 12/22/04
"You see pontoons with docking lights on all the time and technically this is illegal. When the motor is going the only thing you can legally have on are the Red/Green bow light and the white stern light." I have had a game warden duck hunting with me and never told me to turn off the led lights I have to see where I am going.
3/16/16 @ 2:51 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
The strip lights on my buddies boat definitely light up the water and attract shad, minnows and small bluegill. He has the strips that are near the water in heat shrink plastic tubes sealed at the end so they are water proof. I'm not sure how much better it might work on clear water lakes. The only time I experienced the lights was down in southern Illinois while catfishing at night on some murkier water reservoirs.
3/16/16 @ 11:23 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
"Yet I am also looking at the led strip lights for the end of my dock and on the boat for night time fishing and cruising around. I wonder how effective the strip lights are if they are above the water at attracting baitfish or will it just be a bug magnet." Regarding putting them on a boat above the waterline... According to the regulations in most states you can only have your navigational lights on when the boat is under power. Drifting is a different story. You see pontoons with docking lights on all the time and technically this is illegal. When the motor is going the only thing you can legally have on are the Red/Green bow light and the white stern light. If you install LED strip lights on your dock or on your boat above the water line, you don't need waterproof lights. You can use weather resistant lights and save a few bucks. If they get a little bit of spray on them or rain big deal. They'll hold up as long as they are not completely submerged. If you do this to your dock and/or boat, I recommend getting RGB lights. They change colors so you can see what suits you best. I've found that fishing with mine set to purple is ideal. It won't draw in bugs or bait fish but it allows me to see a following fish without spooking them. Green attracts baitfish but they also attract bugs. The RGB lights are fun to have especially when you're in the middle of a lake at night and you set them to change colors by flashing or fading. People might think there's a UFO on the water.
3/16/16 @ 10:31 AM
TeamG
User since 4/28/08
I want to thank you all for your comments. I am looking at getting one of the underwater lights. Yet I am also looking at the led strip lights for the end of my dock and on the boat for night time fishing and cruising around. I wonder how effective the strip lights are if they are above the water at attracting baitfish or will it just be a bug magnet.
3/12/16 @ 12:33 AM
BOBBYB
BOBBYB
User since 5/24/03
Years ago i bought 4 of the tap lights the ones you tap on and off. Mounted them on a 2"x8" piece of stiff aluminum. I can turn them on and slide them in upside down just below the gunwales on my boat so the light shines down into the boat and not up in your eyes. Turn them on when needed and off when not. Works good and cost me about $5.
3/11/16 @ 8:29 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09
Team G. I take it you are wondering about the lights that go in the water? We used to use Coleman lanterns when we trout fished and it drew in bait fish and game fish. I also have a four foot florescent light I hang in the water and it draws in all kinds of bait and game fish. When the bait fish disappear, there is a meat eater near. It does light up a large area under the boat. It looks really cool when I use it ice fishing when there is no snow on the ice. It looks like a nuclear reactor spill.
3/11/16 @ 7:49 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15
Years ago we used Stren fluorescent clear blue mono at night with a black light. It lit up like a rope going down into the water. I had a green light that goes underwater on my dock. It attracts bait fish and panfish. It also attracts fisherman so I took it out. As far as the Led strip lights. When I fish at night I prefer no lights. I can see with the little light of the stars and moon once you get use to it. The bugs don't bother you as much. I often fish at night with my eyes closed so that it seems to heighten my sense of feel.
3/11/16 @ 3:25 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
My buddy ran those led strip lights along the top and bottom of the railings on his pontoon boat along with just above the pontoons and on the underside of the bimini top. They're hooked to a controller by his console. He can switch between 5 colors, and which strips are lit with a push of a button. Very nice lights. He put a ton of effort into setting it up like this, but it's worth it in the end. I recommend these if you're serious. You can get them for cheap on ebay and amazon. It's great to have when night fishing for walleye, or jugging for catfish down south. The bugs don't seem to be as drawn to the darker colors like blue and green.
3/11/16 @ 1:56 PM
skeeterbite
User since 4/12/14
If i remember correctly. I read that blue (or black) led lighting allows you to see your line when using mono line at night. Rigid Industries has a nice set up for boats,trailers and trucks.
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE