SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Barge fishing techniques

3/11/16 @ 9:29 PM
INITIAL POST
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05
My buddies and I are thinking about trying some barge fishing. We have no idea what we are doing. We are experienced anglers with all the gear but this is new to us. Thanks
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
3/12/16 @ 9:29 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05
Thanks guys. I am not sure if we are going but it's looking likely.
3/12/16 @ 5:25 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10
3-way rigs (usually 1oz) or killer jigs w/stinger hooks work the best. I've had luck on both minnow and crawlers. I've never had much luck with plastics but I've seen them work for others. Jumbo reds work great for perch on a 3-way rig. Call ahead or ask at the bait shop to see what size jig you'll need for the current. I usually stick to 1/2oz or 5/8oz but have had to go up to 3/4oz when the current is really going. I've seen a lot of people use zips and other blade baits but have never had luck with them myself.
3/12/16 @ 4:58 PM
Marc Morrone
Marc Morrone
User since 9/3/08
Check out Clement's Fishing Barge in Genoa. Pretty hard to beat a jig and minnow or twister.
3/12/16 @ 12:14 AM
drewster
User since 7/6/09
It's very easy. You can catch almost anything on a plain hook and weight - you just need enough weight to hold on the bottom. Minners or crawler chunks, depending on what you are after. Hair jigs or jighead and plastic work well, too. Plan to stake out a territory and not move around a lot, cuz it's often elbow to elbow. Northern and perch are running hot right now. Walleyes and sauger should be from the last week in March to the first week or two in April. They are going a little early this year, with the warm weather, so do not wait. Good luck.
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE