SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Warning. Ticks are out.

3/11/14 @ 4:50 PM
INITIAL POST
fishs
User since 2/17/04
Couldn't believe what I found crawling on my dog after a walk in a short grassy area next to a wooded ravine in S.E. Wisconsin. It appears to be a Deer tick. I will take it to the County Health Dept tomorrow for a better look under a microscope. This is the second time I have found a tick on her at this location. The first one was last November. Going to have to think twice about walking her there this year.
Displaying 30 to 39 of 61 posts
10/24/14 @ 2:12 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
I hate ticks big time. Fall and winter when temps are just above freezing are the absolutely worst time for ticks. It's gotten so bad that I try to avoid brushing into as much vegetation as possible while I'm hunting. I check my clothes all the time and it has worked for me so far, as I have had exactly zero ticks ever imbedded in my skin. My uncle got really messed up from Lyme disease and I don't want to have to go through that.
10/24/14 @ 1:56 PM
barefoot
barefoot
PRO MEMBER User since 8/24/01
last week helping disabled bow hunters in Oneida county had a few deer ticks crawl on me while field dressing and skinning deer They were full of common wood ticks also. Of the 25 or so guys helping out with the hunt, at least 4 were on antibiotics for lymes and couple other tick born illnesses. One had been hospitalized recently with IVs in his arm to get him back on his feet. Several others still suffering lingering affects from past bouts with tick sickness. Among avid outdoorsmen and women the percentage is very high....
10/23/14 @ 8:02 PM
Twister
User since 6/15/01
I have found ticks on warm days in the middle of the winter after being out hiking. So it is a good idea to check anytime you have been out. I don't see ticks like I used to. The only 2 I saw this year were both deer ticks, one lodged in a very uncomfortable place, and I called the doctor and she sent me to the pharmacy to get a couple pills just in case.
10/23/14 @ 8:00 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
Deer ticks are vile little creatures and freezing temps do not kill them. Quite the contrary, adult deer ticks don't become active until after the first frost. Also, while most ticks go dormant in the winter, deer ticks do not. You can find these nasty little creatures crawling around on any winter day when there is no snow, or the ground is above freezing. Really common to find them crawling around during the January thaw. The worst part is 30 to 40% of deer ticks carry Lyme disease, and most of you know that can turn your life upside down in a hurry. The scarier part is deer ticks also carry Bartonnela, Babesia,encephalitis,Protozoa, Ehrlichia, Anaplasma, and about a dozen other piroplasms. They are all equally as detrimetal to your health, and almost no general care practicioners even check for them. Many times the diagnosis is clinical. Pulled one off my son after the Youth Whitetail hunt. Scares me every time I go in the woods.
10/23/14 @ 7:35 PM
Madgill
Madgill
PRO MEMBER User since 12/26/01
Now this old timer here hates ticks! I gave up the phesant/deer hunting about 10 years ago, I hate those critters. As kids 40-50 years ago we would run around in the woods barefoot in shorts, never even heard of a tick. Now I stick to safe sports, like the ice fishing, no ticks on the frozen lake! I can buy a phesant at Woodmans, or Venison sausage at Bavaria, Be careful out there!
10/23/14 @ 7:08 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
Wife and I must have had 30 crawling between us last sunday grouse hunting. Ridiculous!
10/23/14 @ 2:59 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
User since 3/14/03
Good call going to the Dr.! This is when I usually end up with a few on me, but now I stop every so often out there and sweep em off my clothes. Heck, one year during an early T-zone hunt they were dropping off limbs and bouncing off the gun stocks of myself and 3 others...couple frosts don't mean anything to me anymore.
10/23/14 @ 2:49 PM
Hudson Hawk
User since 2/19/07
Got a deer tick in me today and I went to the doctor to get it out. Must of goT it pheasant hunting. I have never before Got a tick in the fall. Got antibiotics for it right Away just in case some Spit or juice was left behind from the head and of course lames. I am toning to check myself over even Better from now on, even in the fall.
7/10/14 @ 4:54 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
Bullseye rash doesn't show up right away, if at all. Make a Dr appointment before you have any symptoms and get some antibiotics, if it was a deer tick.
7/10/14 @ 4:07 PM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09
so how long does it take for a tick to get half the size of a pencil eraser. I found one on me complete with redness but not the target looking redness.
Displaying 30 to 39 of 61 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE