SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Vegetable Garden

6/30/04 @ 1:47 PM
INITIAL POST
Paladin
User since 6/15/01
Who's got one ? what are you growing ? and how's it coming along? Mine consists of sweet corn , cabbage , brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli ,cucumbers, zucchini, peas, tomatoes , peppers , acorn squash, pumpkins, and assorted spices. The cold wet weather hasn't been very conducive to good growth so far for me. But with warmer weather in the forecast things should turn out. I hope those of you growing fair better.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 8,675 posts
TODAY @ 9:04 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20
Bulbing process looks like it is just a few days away. 
Vegetable Garden photo by Bassmaster+recordracks 2
TODAY @ 8:32 AM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03
Just shy of 3" of rain last night. My raised beds look like little wood boats. At least I won't have to water for a week or two. 
Vegetable Garden photo by Polski
TODAY @ 6:54 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Cherokee Purple & Pink Brandywine doing fine
Vegetable Garden photo by Carpio
5/26/24 @ 9:15 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17
B@R I'm planting my cucumber seeds tomorrow, I have them soaking in water tonight.  I'm going with the yellow cups we talked about.  I'm going to use Clove oil as the attractant after watching some videos on a setup. I'll put them out when they sprout. Hopefully it works for me.
5/26/24 @ 8:28 PM
Polski
Polski
PRO MEMBER User since 5/11/03
Got lots planted and these cool rainy days are not helping,  bring on some sun and heat.
5/26/24 @ 8:19 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Pool and others with cucumber, beetle issues. I am going to have to plant my plants before June which I do not like to do but due to medical restraints and things coming up I will have to get them in. So too detour the first wave of the southern eastern whatever they are Beatles that will be coming in in June. I am going to use neem oil. this is very dangerous so be careful when you use it. Make sure you only apply at night and you gotta watch for burning. Cucumber a few times and then lay back and watch. I will update with pheromones and yellow solo cups if I do traps some. 
5/26/24 @ 7:18 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Thanks for the info BTF. Carrots can be really funny. Rain can damage them so easily. They are so frail. You can’t use too much nitrogen, but you need nitrogen in order to get the tops to grow a little. They mostly like potassium and phosphate and that center route Needs to have nutrients wherever it goes. At the end. Soil needs to be extremely soft in order for him to produce and well they are kind of a nuisance and it has been. I don’t know 25+ years went by before really attempting to grow until about three years ago.  We run about five buckets and maybe a 4 x 4 square in the garden. But we still have carrots in the refrigerator from last September when we pulled them. Still taste fresh. So we decided to keep on growing them, but it is hard to keep screening mesh on them and keep them protected from washout and damage when they are very small. Hope everything goes well. This year looks like you have a nice spread there sir!
5/26/24 @ 4:08 PM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
Because it was just those buckets, and I was motivated to succeed, i got a bag of MG Garden Soil and started fresh with that.

Typically, I dump everything in the bucket of the skidsteer each spring and freshen it up with a bit of compost and I have pretty good results, except carrots... till now.   
5/26/24 @ 3:12 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
By “ fresh soil” do you mean that you just dig up black dirt for the pails?
5/26/24 @ 1:17 PM
BeerTownFyreman
Poor germination, then the ones that do sprout die off before they even drop their seed leaf.

I already have way better germination this year. I put fresh soil in the buckets and am more careful with watering.
Vegetable Garden photo by BeerTownFyreman
Vegetable Garden photo by BeerTownFyreman
5/26/24 @ 12:36 PM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
What happens with the carrots BTF?
5/26/24 @ 12:22 PM
BeerTownFyreman
I'm planted in now. Raised bed and bucket experiment was pretty good so I doubled it up this year.

15 of the 5 gallon buckets are going good with taters. The last 5 are my final crack at carrots.

The barrels got Broccoli, tomatos, green beans, cauliflower, and pickle cukes.

Plenty for me and the Mrs.

Apple's are starting to set already too... about pea size bumps behind the dead blossoms.

Hmmm... can't upload picks. 
5/26/24 @ 10:53 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
Finished moving the tomatoes, peppers, basil, mint, lemon verbena, thyme, and rosemary from their seedling pots to their new garden home.  

Garden 2 of 3 is fully planted.

I was slacking early this year and didn't get potatoes or onions in, but to my surprise some came back on their own.  Musta missed a few last fall.

Vegetable Garden photo by Plmlk
5/26/24 @ 9:57 AM
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
User since 7/29/21
Melons,cucumbers,and zucchini are sprouting. Definitely got behind on my seed starting this year...
5/26/24 @ 8:54 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
These are the last about seven minutes when it brought out this afternoon
Vegetable Garden photo by Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Displaying 1 to 15 of 8,675 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE