SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

mice in attic

12/17/18 @ 11:22 AM
INITIAL POST
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

I have a fairly new house (14 years). Has aluminum soffit and facia around entire house. Somehow mice are getting into my attic. I think they are climbing up the brick on my front porch and entering under the soffit. The F shaped edge sits on top of the brick. I have sealed and stuffed wire mesh every where I can find and think of. Last night go out to turn Christmas lights off and can hear those buggers running in the soffit. I set a few traps near my front door on the porch and had 1 caught this morning. Anyone have any ideas of where to look next. Obviously traps and D-conn out full force tonight. Never have them in house or garage.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 42 posts
12/20/18 @ 11:30 AM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

Update on my extermination efforts. In total I have removed 8 mice from my attic and haven't caught one in 2 days. Going to give it another week of set traps and then place poison and try to seal things up. Wish me luck.

12/19/18 @ 11:30 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

As Cats go at our lake cabin there are two cats I fed one weekend 2 years ago. They still hang around. I put couple houses outside for them this fall. I'll feed them when we are there.  Mice in the detached garage have pretty much been a non issue since. House we built 15 years ago. I have never seen a sign of a mouse yet. Before the cats I would find newspaper nests all over the cabinets in the garage.

We have an outside cat at home too that helps. We have fields behind us so she is active.   

12/19/18 @ 9:24 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

SFBSG-

Cats don’t generally live in attics, or cabins up north that aren’t occupied in the winter.  

12/19/18 @ 9:20 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Cats don't last here.. they get eaten by biger stuff too quickly

12/19/18 @ 8:57 AM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

Twas' the nite before Christmas,

And all thru the house,

The only creature that was stirring,

Was that Damn freakin mouse !!!!!!

12/18/18 @ 8:13 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Here is a link

After you have made the trap, spread peanut butter evenly around the entire can.  Then fill the 5 gallon bucket with a gallon of RV anti-freeze. 

For my ramp, I used two wood 1”x4”’s.  

Wake up in the morning and scoop out all the dead mice.  

Have fun! 

12/18/18 @ 11:35 AM
woodturner
PRO MEMBER User since 2/12/04

24 yr old house same problem, mice in attic but not the house. Tried everything suggested here to keep them out. Not until I had the house re-roofed did I find out the mice were climbing up the gutter downspouts and were able to squeeze in where the gutters were tucked in under the roof drip edge, some area's had 3/4" gaps, from there they chewed thru the wood and into the attic. Have not had a mouse since roof was re-done 3 years ago.

12/18/18 @ 10:59 AM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

Set 8 traps on my front porch last night. 6 traps with mice this morning. Not a good sign. At least no sign in the house. I know what my Christmas Holiday is going to focus on. Extermination

12/18/18 @ 10:35 AM
fun fishin
User since 11/16/02

What is the pail trap and how does it work?

12/18/18 @ 9:00 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Mice can come from any where and can go almost anywhere they want to go.  I hate them with a passion.  They're everywhere.  They can climb up walls, pipes, and just about anything else except for very smooth surfaces.  I even had a nest 25 feet up in the seat of my tree stand this past year.  They chewed a hole in the seat and ran across my lap when I sat down.  I'm glad I had on my safety harness or I'd have fallen out, scared the crap out of me. Traps are probably about your best option unless you don't mind dead mice in your walls from poisoning them.

12/17/18 @ 10:28 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

So everyone here is a expert on killing mice. If so then why do we have so  many mice?

12/17/18 @ 9:30 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

We have service by Orkin every other month year round. That's what I do to deal with mice.

Tim

12/17/18 @ 9:25 PM
Madgill
Madgill
PRO MEMBER User since 12/26/01

Yes, its amazing how many mice are out there! I run a nonstop trap line around the outside of my house year round, I live in a residential area. I usually get 1-2 per day, always outside, never anything in the house, garage or basement. I always set one trap in the garage and basement for a check. I use snap traps with peanut butter, tootsie rolls work well also. The bucket traps work well outside also in the back 40, if the squirrels and coons leave it alone!

12/17/18 @ 9:04 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Steel wool absolutely works, the mice can’t chew through it...

12/17/18 @ 8:59 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

Bucket and anti-freeze.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 42 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE