MORE
General Discussion

Life Below Zero

12/3/14 @ 5:27 PM
INITIAL POST
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
For people who claim to have to rely on hunting to get their food these people sure seem to be terrible shots! And I guess when you are hunting to stay alive, all ethics are out the door. The episode where they were shooting at the herd of swimming caribou while in a moving boat really made my blood boil!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
12/8/14 @ 3:57 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
Correct prince William sound but I lived and worked in nome and kotz which is way north. All I'm saying is it's not as simple as it's their culture. And in the southern part they still hunt seal, and gill net salmon and collect bseagull eggs so the only real difference is zip code
12/8/14 @ 3:10 PM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10
Drag I'm guessing your lodge was down in the southern half or along the coast witch the climate is real similar to MN,WI,MN, they are talking arctic circle and above. Big difference.
12/8/14 @ 11:38 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
guess I should just take your word for it then
12/8/14 @ 11:18 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
I live and run a lodge in Alaska these shows are a joke! Gold rush is about as close to real as these shows get. A very good friend is an advisor on gold rush and they don't edit or suggest" much" to those guys. I agree it's not our culture but I live it! It's not what you think,they live the culture when it's in their best political interest to do so! I promise you it's not near as cut and dry as many would have you believe. State funded programs ie food stamps pay to have red bull shipped by the cases to remote villages. For the most part 95 % of Alaska residents are awesome, but these show FIND the biggest morons that money can buy!
12/8/14 @ 8:55 AM
nihsif
nihsif
they also use gill nets to fish, and take seagull eggs out of their nest...it's a whole different life and rule than ours... it's subsistence living.... they are not hunting for a trophy, it's for meat for the year it's not a show for everyone...some seems brutal or not ethical, but is is they way they have lived for centuries with some modern upgrades like rifles and outboard... they are teaching their daughter the traditions and methods for this sort of life.... of course, this is only 1 part of this program and of course, there is film editing... it's fairly obvious... I would guess there's similar editing in all hunting and fishing shows, for production value
12/8/14 @ 8:44 AM
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
I did read some of the forum that sbone talked about and it is very interesting some of the things that Chip had to say. A lot of what you are seeing on that show are giving a different perception of what really happened. He said there are times they are showing shots that were not even a part of that hunt, he sits an example where they showed footage of his wife shooting at a caribou when she was actually shooting at a fox. However, he doesn't dispute some of the other questionable practices you see, that is just how they do it. He talks about killing ducks and then taking the eggs of the ducks nest. Huh??
12/8/14 @ 3:36 AM
1cast-away
User since 2/2/09
Agree with Coach....most of these "obstacles" that these people on these shows face are very avoidable...if not completely "given" to them by the producers. Take Gold Rush for example. Who puts their life savings on the line to go to Alaska and doesn't bring any spare parts for the equipment...? Not trying to turn this into a Gold Rush topic, but I do watch it on occasion (they got me) and have seen a few LBZ and they are all the same in this manner.
12/7/14 @ 11:03 PM
'da Coach
User since 12/23/08
I'm generally not a fan of reality TV shows, so not surprisingly, for me, LBZ holds zero interest. The promos I've seen do their best to hype up the drama about one challenge or another that these folks face, but as others have posted, at least some of their difficulties are self-imposed. Need to down a caribou for food? Try practicing your shooting so you don't miss when you finally get a shot. Forecast uncertain? Plan accordingly and don't wander out in a blizzard. Seems pretty straightforward to me,
12/5/14 @ 3:54 PM
sbone
User since 12/27/06
Look on thehighroad.org. It is mainly about firearms but one of its members goes by the name "caribou". Turns out he is the guy who lets his wife do the shooting. He talks about his legal troubles and he won't be holding a gun for awhile. It is under General gun discussion, look for life below zero thread.
12/5/14 @ 8:37 AM
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
Pike, isn't that why people watch these shows? Because they are so different from their own lives? That is why Reality TV Shows are so popular! Guarantee they won't be making a show on my life anytime soon! Just because I question the way they do things, doesn't mean I am not entertained by it!
12/5/14 @ 8:27 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10
if you love the show don't Question other peoples lifestyles. just watch. Believe it or not, not everybody does things the same in all cultures. ENJOY
12/5/14 @ 5:31 AM
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
Don't get me wrong, love the show! Just question some of the way they do things. That Glen guy will eat anything! And Sue scares the crap outta me!
12/4/14 @ 4:20 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
User since 3/14/03
Enjoy and record the show myself, would just like to see a more ethical approach to a 3-4 deep herd of anything being shot at. That's disgusting with the Blacktails reeldrag. Andy is surely a whiner and lucky he still has a wife the way he goes off! Lol The guy has to be on blood pressure meds or self medicated with home brew.
12/4/14 @ 3:10 PM
nihsif
nihsif
thoroughly enjoy the show love the family values of the native Alaskan's, and Sue has a real pragmatic way of looking at life/living alone, Andy is kind of a whiner, but pretty handy at figuring things out, Glen is interesting in his one day at a time outlook... they use to have another guy on there that guides then goes into the wilderness in the off season they used a boat so they can get close and use a .22 to get their quarry, saves on cost of ammo, and it's a sure kill... the guy is non-native, so he is not allowed to harvest what his bride and daughters do... he has to abide by the regulations set for non-natives never seen anything that I thought was wrong even Andy shooting beaver in the middle of a pond with no boat...he had a rod and reel with a daredevil to snag the carcasses great show... so is Alaska the Last Frontier with the Kilcher family homestead
12/4/14 @ 2:45 PM
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
Doubt if eskimos 100 years ago were shooting caribou out of a boat with a 75 horse Mercury 2 stroke on it!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE