MORE
General Discussion

Dethatching lawn

3/28/24 @ 10:43 AM
INITIAL POST
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11

Anyone regularly dethatch lawn or only when needed. I only do every cpl years..

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
3/28/24 @ 1:52 PM
papiman
User since 8/22/22
Looks very good i hire someone to airate in the fall every 3 years thatch about the same put spring fertilizer down firstwek of may milorganite last wek of may  i use a summer fall and winter fertilizer made by andersons loos very good better than most lawn co.
3/28/24 @ 1:32 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Fonzie, I'll be doing my local yard shortly.  Then I'll be doing the up north lawn probably towards the end of April.
Anyway I can get your kid to follow ME around and bag the thatch?????  :)
3/28/24 @ 12:01 PM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09
I have the same machine as Vegas. It does a great job and comes with plenty of extra tines...

I did my lawn last week and had my son rake and bag it !
3/28/24 @ 11:19 AM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11
Thanks Vegas. Looks great
3/28/24 @ 11:07 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
I do it every spring and again in early fall, if parts of the lawn have died.
I got the corded Greenworks dethatcher a few years ago off of amazon.  I was like $99 back then.  And that thing works great.
And I use it on both of our properties.
Dethatch.  Rake up the dead grass and cart away.  Lay down new seed.  Lay down fertilizer (Milorganite).  Get out the automatic sprinkler for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening.  New thick grass in about 2 weeks.
https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-14-Inch-Corded-Dethatcher-DT14B00/dp/B01CA4Q2IM/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=WS1W9SYEJUUD&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.eULYbsS9a4bIwCPu_59Zo3OzmBJGlukhIVAhYvvHchTjf8Bb7cq2ktj-e99bco4z5TnlwvEWxFeHopwlO_IihmUuBybzWdBt0jRkokCGoIMixB9OvPd-IDggWAV5GnysII5JEQUvFbEfYpQZD0Tr4IVGwGbiDBtxkKGH-vHt3uSeguV1hzlbnwySUUpzr45lC8X0uBiNajJ4va46eHxrTSPkn5e8sLJL8IaQTZyfW4E.B39b3IagXRNrFiySaWhFH98ISvWCkV4ZDkbncQYb2Vo&dib_tag=se&keywords=greenworks%2Bdethatcher&qid=1711641862&sprefix=greenworks%2Bdethatcher%2Caps%2C97&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Toughest part of the job is managing the extension cord.  And walking quickly behind the machine.  I don't use the bagger, as I always have a lot more thatch than what it can collect.  I usually fill up a 55 pound garbage bag with just a 25 X 35 front yard.
Wish I had the before picture.  Here is the after, as in just when the trees start turning.  That lawn only gets dethatched in the spring.  Milorganite only in the spring.  Then just a little water.
Dethatching lawn photo by vegas492
3/28/24 @ 10:59 AM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11
I've had a lawn service doit.  Couldn't justify cost of a machine that not used regularly 
3/28/24 @ 10:50 AM
topam
topam
User since 1/22/05
I have never done this in my yard, do you have a service or do you rent the machine and do it yourself?
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE