SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Sharpening hooks

2/21/18 @ 8:41 AM
INITIAL POST
fishinnutinwis
User since 12/26/01

Whats the best method for sharpening - touching up hooks ... small file / stone or a sharpening device ?? mainly larger salmon sized trebles and singles .. 

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
3/9/18 @ 11:15 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Larger Trebles, hit em with a stone.  Smaller hooks, just tie on a new one.

3/3/18 @ 7:56 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06

I have been using a sharpening stone for 30+ years.   Its simple and like mentioned below, I have several, in several locations.

Yes, a sharpened hook can rust a little over time, but that is a simple fiix, just hit it with the stone and the sharpness is restored quickly and easily.

Works for all hooks aside from Owner, which have a special cutting tip, these are only hooks I throw out when they get dull or the tip gets rolled...but owners are pretty tough hooks for the most part...and they happen to make the best drop shot hook on the planet.

A sharpening stone is an invaluable tool IMO.

3/3/18 @ 6:21 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01

That yellow handle file is made by Luhr Jensen.  Thats all I use for my muskie lures.  Couple of strokes to the underside and a couple over the top to take the burr off from the underside strokes.

2/22/18 @ 1:45 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

That's a perfect description of the sharpener I posted.  Two chainsaw files sitting side by side.  Works awesome.

BM12.  I've had hooks rust but I can't say that I see it more frequently with sharpened hooks.  Jighead hooks rust a lot but I usually go through those fast enough that it isn't a major issue.

2/22/18 @ 12:40 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Wouldn't that make them chemically sharpened?......For the trebles on my lake spoons the old yellow handled file worked better than the simple half- round stone sharpeners. B-trout's model is two small round files embedded in plastic which gives the hook a hollow grind to the point making even small jig hooks really sharp. I saw a video of a guy taping two small chain saw files together making a larger version of the same thing.

2/22/18 @ 10:28 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Been using a nail file  (diamond grit)  for years, works great on small hooks like ice jigs, I have one in every tackle box/bag that I have. They are metal and don't rust, also very inexpensive compared to hook files sold in the sporting goods stores. They also don't eat up too much metal when used on large hooks like some aggressive hook files do, I have seen many large lures that have been filed to the point that the hooks are ruined.

2/21/18 @ 3:12 PM
fishen_soon
User since 6/24/14

I hit my hooks with a beveled file.  One of those with the yellow plastic handle.  They are almost flat but have a angle starting at the middle of the file.  A couple of strokes on each side is all it takes.

2/21/18 @ 10:21 AM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

I have a small stone in just about every tackle box I own. Grab the hook with a hemostat, give it a few draws and it's good to go again. There are a lot of stones that are too course for hooks. A nice fine stone will give you a needle sharp point quite fast.

2/21/18 @ 10:17 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Donnmar CP100 Hook Sharpener.  You can buy them on Amazon.  Fleet Farm used to sell them but doesn't anymore.  This is the best hook sharpener that I've ever used.  It works on any hook size from trebles on musky lures to 1/16th oz. jigheads.

Sharpening hooks photo by BugleTrout
Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE