SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Florucarbon to braid connection

11/29/23 @ 9:19 PM
INITIAL POST
flint fredstone
User since 4/10/12

When tyeing Floro to Braid I'm using the double uni-knot. My question is ...has anyone tried deglossing the Braid in the area of the knot ? Maybe with solvent, Deglosser, Acetone, etc? Thanks

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
3/26/24 @ 7:36 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
I put new braid on when it starts to look dry and color is faded and you'd like to ruin it's integrity at the knot right from jump?  I can definitely see the logic there.....  

3/19/24 @ 10:21 AM
Clay34
User since 3/22/08
What's prompting the question?  ​Are your knots slipping and pulling loose?  That's a good knot, the thinner the line, more wraps are required.  

If it is about knot ​size, as in you need a thinner knot to  go through micro guides with exceptionally light lines, you can try a different knot like this play on an alberto:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXeVzuchKgw

Today, I find knots are very specific for applications for ME.  What size lines are you tying together, what materials are both lines and what is your specific cause for asking the question and you will ​get better answers.  

​To Answer your question directly, I would NEVER put anything on my lines to weaken them like acetone - NEVER.  Find a different knot to apply and watch UTube videos on making sure it is tied correctly and how to fully seat the knot in the first place.  
3/13/24 @ 6:37 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
Using U-Tube as a source, I find the Albright knot and the alberto are the same knot! The "berto" is shown using more wraps because of the newer poly lines being so spider web fine, and the "bright" video features a narration with a proper British accent. Definitly a knot to know with the new super line and stiff flourocarbon craze. Pip, pip and all that.....
2/10/24 @ 8:38 AM
Veteran2
User since 9/8/20
Mad,
I am not tying to remove the slickness on the entire length of line, just the several inches needed to tie a secure Alberto or Albright knot, especially when tying in a lighter monofilament Leader material. The older I get, the less the fingers want to readily move. 
2/9/24 @ 1:48 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
Veteran, curious why you attempt to remove "slickness" from braid? It's one of the reasons the line casts and handles so well.  Also minimizes formation of wind knots. Never heard of others doing this.  As stated, if your knots are slipping, you need to use the Alberto. Foolproof!!
2/5/24 @ 8:20 PM
Veteran2
User since 9/8/20
Try this out on your braided line. 
I have cleaned new braid line with Dawn dish soap, warm water and a tooth brush. It takes some of the slickness out of the line, without damaging the fibers. It’s much less toxic than harsher degreasers and chemicals. 
Give it a try. 
1/27/24 @ 6:20 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
When I fiirst started tying leaders, I also used the uni to uni....I no longer will go near that knot for a few reasons...first, it just takes too much time to tie....secondly, i have had it slip more than once.....lastly, its just not the strongest knot....Like those posts below, I also use the alberto...I can tie it in just a few seconds (even with my poor close-range eyesight) and it never slips or breaks.

2 years ago I was fishing with a guide in Maui....big fish applications....this guide also fished Alaska all summer for halibut...out of curiosity, I asked what his preferred knot was.....it was the same knot I was already tying...the alberto.

Use this knot and your line-to-line connection worries will disappear, as you dont need to do anything special to the line to get a super strong connection.
1/23/24 @ 6:59 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
FF,

Joe is on the money!

Try an Alberto knot, it's easy to tie, and has a small profile - the braid will snap before the knot does.  

No need for solvent!
1/12/24 @ 2:09 PM
JamesD
JamesD
Another trick I use with lower test poly lines is to tie a good sized surgeons loop before I tie into the flouro. Basically the doubled line means fewer turns to make a good knot and would also work with a uni knot.
Florucarbon to braid connection photo by JamesD
1/11/24 @ 10:52 AM
flint fredstone
User since 4/10/12
My original question is relating to the "slickness" of some of the newer braided lines. So what I'm talking about is removing some of that slick finish. I have wiped the line down with solvent, in the area of the knot. It did seem to increase the friction at the area of the knot. The verdict is still out on this. Time on the water will tell. I do like to pre-rig rods and line in my shop and I do use brush on super glue on knots. Every little bit helps!
THANKS
1/7/24 @ 11:41 PM
Joe7871
Joe7871
PRO MEMBER User since 8/30/16
Maybe check out how to tie the Alberto knot. 
1/7/24 @ 9:33 AM
JamesD
JamesD
Are you saying the coated braids are losing their coat when cinching up the so called"uni ",(actually you have to tie two knots and pull them together)? I gave up on the uni and save some time by using the Albright knot. Would a smear of glue help the knot? I use a smear of silicone caulk on some of the bigger knots for big pond gear to help them scoot thru rod guides.
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE