MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

Pls opinions about the right dog

11/20/17 @ 1:41 PM
INITIAL POST
Fiendure
User since 11/17/17

Hello,

We recently had a terrier mix puppy. She was a good dog but after 10-15 weeks of getting absolutely no where with house breaking we decided to rehome her. I want a housebroken dog but a good friend of mine has 10 week old golden retriever puppies. Now i know a puppy will take some teaching but from past experience and research it seems that a golden pup can fully housebreak rather quickley. We are a family of four with a 10 mo old and a 2 yr old. I work 36-48 hrs a week and my husband works 24 hrs a week. Do you think a golden puppy is smart decision?

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
11/21/17 @ 9:56 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Not sure if this thread  is trolling or Casting but since I just reamed out my son for he and his wife seem to be confused about prioritizing children work and marriage vs dog and cat..........well, I just told him to get his sch!t together and have a sense of priorities and challenges worthy of capabilities and his upbringing.

11/21/17 @ 1:57 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I agree with all said below,  it's not the dog,  its the trainer.  same with kids...little shithead at school,  that begins at home.  Point the fingers at the family.  you get out what you invest.

11/21/17 @ 12:45 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

Having owned several dogs of different breeds. No breed house trains that much easier than another. It's the trainer. I've had my smartest dog ever (coincidence was a golden) take over 3 months to be fully trained.  I take full responsibility for that. I failed her she didn't fail me.  With kids wanting to play with a pup makes it lot harder. You have to set boundaries. 

I would agree if it didn't work with one I don't know how you can think it will work with another. I would suggest a rescue dog that is already trained. 

11/21/17 @ 11:14 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

In your situation, starting with a puppy (especially a Golden) would be rather stressful. Not saying it can't be done, but the point of needing someone to be there to let it out is probably the biggest thing to consider. I know a friend's wife started a business of "pet sitting" where she travels around to let people's dogs out and play with them. Something to possibly look into if you go the puppy route.

I'm on my second Golden, and while great dogs in general, my current one is a LOT crazier (not in a bad way) than my first one (greatest dog ever). And you don't really know what you're getting until they grow up a bit. But talk about a dog that's fantastic with young kids! 

Have you looked into any Golden Retriever rescue sites? You could possibly find one trained already that just needs a new home. 

11/21/17 @ 11:12 AM
Landin' Lunkers
User since 6/4/12

I disagree with what' said below. We got a 8 wk old lab pointer cross when my wife was 8 months pregnant with our second kid. 

We got another English pointer and my son is 2. Daughter 11. 

It'seems not that hard if you don't sit on your butt and you work on training. My pups at 8 weeks were in the crate 5 hours till noon, then 4 hours till I got home. They break fast if you don't baby them. I work 55 to 60 hours and my wife works 45. 

If you make the time when you are available to train it will be fine. 

I don't agree with re homing because you couldn't house break it. That' not the dogs fault. It' the owners for not training it and not watching for signs of needing to go out.

IMO, you don' understand the amount of time it takes to train them. 

Send me a p.m. and I can give you my phone number and advice on what trainers have told me advice what worked well advice nondescript what didnt.

11/20/17 @ 9:57 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

You are clearly not ready for any dog. 

11/20/17 @ 3:40 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I think no puppy is a good decision right now for you,  those little rascals are a lot of work.  LOL

First off dogs need repetition and a schedule,  like babies.  if you intend on house breaking a dog you need to be there.  Secondly,  a 10 week old puppy should not be in a kennel for more than 2 hours.  

When that dog gets to 6 months he's going to need exercise and a lot of it.  puppies are A LOT OF WORK.  So are kids under 5 years of age...

You need to find a dog that is low energy.  Golden,  lab, short hair...there are a lot of high energy dogs that will be hard to train and be consistent with taking in consideration your schedule and kids. IMO

All that said,  if someone will be home till 12-14 week mark,  and be consistent with that puppy...a golden would make a great pet.  I'm assuming the breeder has it on pads right now...so it will take it longer.  Usually that 7-8 week mark is when they let pups go and all our labs are trained by the 12 week mark,  they made mistakes but by that time they know.  Good luck

remember,  

1 month,  1 hours in kennel.

2 months,  2 hours

3 months, 3 hours

4-4

5-5 then you can start stretching it.

Etc till about 6-7 months,  is when they can sit 8 hours.

10 month and 2 year old babies....I think you are CRAZY.  LOL

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE