MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

New Dog Help

12/14/16 @ 1:25 PM
INITIAL POST
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05

My wife and I have a Dachshund Chihuaua cross which i guess people call Chiwienie's. She was my wifes before i met her and is pushing up on 13 years old now. She is a fun little thing to take out in the woods with me when I am checking trail cameras and is a great dog for those that love having a dog on their lap everytime they sit down. But the only thing she will chase are treats are rabbits. And she sure wont fetch anything or even think about it.

I always wanted a lab growing up but my wife and I dont think we have the room for one right now. We would like to get something on the smaller side. Maybe in the 20-35 pound range. I personally would like it to have some kind of retrieving instincts because i want to train it as a shed hunting dog. I thought I would see if anyone has any small breeds that they could recommend for something like that.

I dont know a ton about dogs so I was hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction.

Displaying 16 to 21 of 21 posts
1/11/17 @ 9:22 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I have an AWS, and he is 50 lbs.  They are great dogs.  I love all of the other suggestions (love labs, springers and LOVE airdales), but all are substantially larger than what you requested.

My suggestion for your 25-30 lb. requested size with the capabilities you are looking for:  field bred english cocker spaniel.

Good luck on your search!  There are so many great breads out there, it is hard to go wrong.  After a few days of whatever puppy you have, you love them so much you can't imagine having a different dog anyway!

1/10/17 @ 2:36 AM
Fhomerun1
User since 2/2/04

Check zig zag Kennels in weyawega wi.  Got a pointing lab - he is 8 months old and 45lbs,

1/5/17 @ 5:18 AM
football77
football77
User since 8/20/10

I currently own a Springer (below) and they are really amazing.  My girl is rather tall and weighs about 40#.  I really like the size of this breed and their temperment,  Mine is an excellant hunting dog, a super family dog and will retrieve all day. 

You may want to look at the American Water Spaniel also.  Slightly smaller than the Springer in most cases and a little less energy.  Great hunting and family dog also.  Might see less shedding from this breed also.  Good luck on you search.

1/4/17 @ 2:34 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Check out this breed. They’re a bit larger than what you’re looking for. A small female would be around 45 lbs. We have a 60 lb male. I can’t say enough good things about the breed and I can’t imagine that we’d ever get any other breed after having one.

Shed Hunting Dog

If you have questions, let me know. Best of luck on your search.

Edit: ...and they don't shed.

1/4/17 @ 1:31 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09

I have had Labs my whole life,for me there is no other! That being said my Daughter got a Springer 2 years ago and I am very impressed with the breed! 45 lbs., GREAT family dog and loves to hunt! If size is an issue,maybe smaller parents could get it down a few pounds! Grandad

Displaying 16 to 21 of 21 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE