SEARCH
MORE
Dogs & Dog Training

EIC??

2/16/24 @ 7:16 PM
INITIAL POST
Musky99
User since 8/8/11

I was at a pheasant club yesterday hunting with my 5 year old black lab.

Long story short we winged a bird and sailed a long, long ways.  Dog chased it down and brought it back. We start hunting and all of a sudden his back end goes sideways and then he goes down.  Tries get back up but back end is working.

I make him lay down and settle him down.  Give him water etc.. 

10 -15 minutes later he is back up hunting like nothing happened.   Hunted for at least another hour and a half and never missed a beat.

I have heard of EIC - 'exercise induced collapse' - but never experienced it. 

Maybe it’s not EIC?

Guy in the club said he had dog with it and just watch him and don’t over work him.

I have call into the vet.

Any advice or experience?

Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 posts
2/18/24 @ 5:42 PM
Holy Crappie
Holy Crappie
User since 7/13/21
Musky I had this happen with a wirehair I owned years ago.  I was earlier in the hunt so it wasn’t exercise induced and it was later in season so dog was in decent shape.  His back end went out and he just laid there and could get up. 15 minutes later after water and rest he got up and acted like nothing happened.  I even hunted him that afternoon a bit. Never happened again although I was nervous as heck for rest of season. My guess was a slipped disc that popped back in .
Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE