SEARCH
MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

Opening week

3/27/24 @ 6:57 PM
INITIAL POST
MILLERMANOC
User since 3/8/15

We will be fishing walleye opening week in ignace in May. We usually go end of June. Any tips for earlier fishing 

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
3/29/24 @ 8:38 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Rnel  

Years ago used to fish Cobb bay, always did decent back in mosquito bay.  Jackpot is good in the spring if the water is high enough.  When we stayed on the south end we would also fish Watcomb, Young, but mostly we would head into Lake of Bays.   We have a few lakes we hit North of Savant but for the most part we do well on Sturgeon, it took some time to crack the nut on some of the spots on the North end but its worth it as the walleye's tend to run pretty decent size.  And we like having the ability to catch walleye then just slide over and go to work on the lake trout.  Will be on Flatrock in June,  Press in July, and Sturgeon in August.
3/29/24 @ 5:13 PM
rnel
User since 5/17/14
Many years ago we went up to the area you fish and didn't fish that much but on about 80 miles in the boat. We really didn't know where to go.
3/29/24 @ 5:09 PM
rnel
User since 5/17/14
We fish more in the middle of the lake furthest north is probably around Post Creek and then the the down to Jackpot lake. We stayed at Harris Bay Resort for about the last 30 years, My dad over 50 years. We started catching some smallmouth about 10 years ago and now they are nuts, last year smallmouth 11 casts in a row. The first few years that we caught smallmouth only in one spot and now they are all over. We fish Harris Bay, Cobb bay and Granite Bay a lot. We used to go to other lakes but not anymore, Flying Loon, Young, elva and ​Watcomb. 

3/28/24 @ 7:31 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Rnel,  I usually fish Sturgeon Aug & Sep, which end of the lake you fishing.  I am typically up on the North end, do well off Covington, Up in the Northeast arm, Nipigon bay, up around to black bay.   Holly cow the Small mouth have really taken off in the East arm on the North end.  Typically fishing lakes a little further south on 599 in June and July.  I traded in my May fishing card for June, July, Aug, and Sep.   
3/28/24 @ 1:23 PM
rnel
User since 5/17/14
We go to Sturgeon Lake for the opener every year and the weather usually is not bad you can have snow one day and of 70 and sunny in a couple of days. Fishing is usually good that week never had a issue finding walleyes. 
3/28/24 @ 9:01 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Used to run up to Silver Dollar for the opener, some brutal conditions more times than not.  So hopefully you catch a break.  The water is going to be cold, if you want to catch walleye's find moving water that time of year.  Typically find a good creek or river dumping in and that will be your best bet.  One year son and I crossed the border it was 72 degrees, by the time we hit Silver dollar Friday night it was 32 and snowing.  Launched the boat after shoveling snow in 28 degree weather and 20 mph winds.  That pretty much ended my desire for the Canadian opener.  Good luck.
3/28/24 @ 7:53 AM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01
Dress warm!
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE