SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

40,50,60 HP Mercury 4Stroke Fix

6/11/10 @ 5:46 PM
INITIAL POST
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09
I have a 2005 Merc.EFI 4 stroke ,motor has been running like a fine watch for the past 4 years,last week I noticed a Electrical smell and saw my Batt. Voltage drop when I accelerated the motor! I took of the cover and saw the Volt Regulator was melting!!!! It is located on the left side of the engine facing forward,I took it into the dealer and found out there is a Fix on this particular problem I have the 5 yr warranty so mine broke down in Time to be fully covered,They also added about 3 other up dates in the repair Kit!! If you have any of these motors from 2003-2006 I would suggest you see your Dealer Before your warranty runs out, because I am sure this is in the neighborhood of a $500-$600 Dollar FIX. The funny thing is the motor still started and ran fine because I had a fully charged battery,I just happened to recognize it quick enough to avoid more damage!

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
9/16/12 @ 10:27 PM
JImboG
User since 9/16/12
Grandad, my 75HP 4stroke EFI Merc (2000) just burned. Suspect voltage regulator issue. I bot used in'02. Any suggestion on best way to pursue for recourse with Mercury? Sounds like you went thru similar problem and I sure would 'preciate your insight. Thanks, Jimbo (grandad also-9times!)
6/23/10 @ 8:40 AM
Goosecaller
User since 7/21/01
Shoot an email to Mercury via "contact us" along with your motor info (serial #, HP, Year) and they will tell you if service is needed. I know they should be on top of this, but a 2 minute email sure beats a fire onboard.

6/22/10 @ 6:25 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09
I got My Motor Back from M&W and they did a great Job.But my question is this ,the regulator problem is a potential FIRE Problem!!! I've had people tell me their motor started on FIRE,In any Boat you are a floating Gas Tank!!! Why isn't Mercury having a total Safety Recall on this problem????The Mechanic was aware of this problem,and Mercury has a fix kit available,but this is all after the fact!!!! I just hope no one gets injured in order for this to get fixed in the affected motors.

6/12/10 @ 6:46 PM
boattech
User since 12/22/04
It wont matter if your warranty is done or not. That was a recall and can be taken in at anytime to be done. I have done recalls on motors that were 10 years old and the manufacture has to pay for it.

6/11/10 @ 9:17 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01
I had the same problem with my 2003, 60 two years ago Harbor Rec said there was a recall on them then. Yes Mercury footed the whole bill, haven't had a problem since.

6/11/10 @ 6:12 PM
darrink
User since 4/13/03
There is a recall on the voltage regulator. I had mine last year start melting and caught the motor of fire. Talk about a little scare.

The total cost to fix my motor was just over $2800 and Mercury took care of it with no questions asked.

They said that they sent out recall notices, which I never ended up getting in the mail.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE