SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Sylvan Boats

3/29/15 @ 6:41 PM
INITIAL POST
lilman119
User since 6/10/02
I've recently been fortunate enough to talk my wife into letting me buy a fishing boat, contingent on a few things happening in our lives first. However, that time frame is potentially starting to get close! I was wondering what everyone's opinion was of Sylvan boats? I've read that older models (mid 90s and before) had issues with the hull caving in during any kind of rough waves. However, I have not read about any more current issues elsewhere. I've found a potential great deal on a 16' Sylvan that would fit our family needs/wants perfectly - I'm just afraid to jump the gun without more information or input.
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
4/2/15 @ 10:54 AM
gamehunter
User since 7/4/09
I have a 1995 16 foot Sylvan. It rides great, no hull problems, and never leaks a drop of water. I actually spent the money to have it all repaintedand new carpet a couple years ago and it looks like new. I would buy it again if had the chance. I may be selling it now to upgrade to a bigger boat. I need more room with the family growing.
4/2/15 @ 8:36 AM
skipster
User since 11/1/04
I have a 02 161 Pro Mag. I've fished it hard for 13 years. Big waves on Lake Geneva got me a little wet at times but no complaints.
4/1/15 @ 5:47 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
I'm on my second Sylvan. First one was a 1990 18'er that we used for years on Lake Michigan with no issues or leaks and that boat took some pretty big waves. My current one is a 2002 16' Excursion. The guy who owned it before me kept it in mint condition. I've only run it one season but I had no problems with it. I think Sylvan makes a great boat without the brand name surcharge like some of the other manufacturers.
4/1/15 @ 4:13 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09
I had a 1989 Sylvan Rod Master,first time I took it out it leaked!I checked the underside of the hull and found 102 miss drilled rivet holes!I called the factory and after some haggling they agreed to replace it with a New Pro Fish model if I re rigged it my self.I kept it a year,but I just did not care for the boat!It was the first boat that was not a Lund or Alumacraft before or since! just my opinion!
3/30/15 @ 8:17 PM
NAVIGATOR 175
User since 3/26/15
Bought a sylvan boat 17 foot, new in 1992. Ran it on the bay of Green Bay, Bay De Noc, Chequamegon Bay and rainy lake, until 2008. My nephew is still running it. It has taken a beating. Never a leak nor a problem!
3/30/15 @ 8:13 PM
hypovolemicshock
hypovolemicshock
User since 6/20/11
I have a 96 18' Sylvan and haven't had any problems with it. Mostly fish inland lakes but took it out in Lake Michigan a few times.
3/30/15 @ 12:25 AM
1fisher
1fisher
User since 8/2/09
I have a 1998 20' sylvan deep vee I was out in fours on lake Michigan and Winnebago no leaks. An aluminum boat is lighter than fiberglass so it will get tossed more. I had a smaller 2004 fisher 16' low sides but I always got wet so I upgraded. I also have a 1984 16' smokercraft same as a sylvan no problems. Go for it. I think there all good just know your boats limitations. Smile
3/29/15 @ 9:01 PM
wet-net
User since 1/8/03
If the boat fits your family then I would get the motor checked out by a recappable outboard mechanic . If all check out pull the trigger and have a great summer.
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE