SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Why Evinrude and Johnson?

4/9/14 @ 4:21 PM
INITIAL POST
hjfishn
User since 2/17/08
After being without a boat for a few years and recently retired I thought I would buy a good used boat. I have been checking Craig's list Wisconsin. By far most of the boats have either an Evinrude or Johnson motor. I know they are both made by Evinrude. I am sure Mercury,Yamaha,Honda,Mariner and others are good units as well and have been around for a long time especially Mercury. Does anyone have a reason why they are more popular?
Displaying 21 to 30 of 40 posts
4/11/14 @ 5:10 PM
JethroBodine
User since 12/21/01
I changed my post nihsif. I meant to say they're the only company that only makes two strokes. Yamaha and Merc do indeed sell 2 strokes, but they sell a lot of four strokes as well. In my mind this puts Evinrude at a competitive disadvantage because they can't serve both markets.
4/11/14 @ 2:47 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
Mercury Optimax is a 2 stroke... Yamaha makes a 2 stroke, see the VMax HPDI I'm sure there are plenty of 2 strokes currently being made...and in some cases quieter and more fuel efficient and lower emissions than a 4 stroke...
4/11/14 @ 2:12 PM
scmuskies
scmuskies
User since 10/14/03
Part of the reason why so many is because the low range 9-25hp evinrude/johnson motors were so reliable. There's plenty of them from the mid 70s on & still going strong. Still easy to get parts for them for a reason - used to have a '73 15hp until I upgraded boats. Very reliable motors.
4/11/14 @ 1:16 PM
4/11/14 @ 1:12 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
The new 2 stokes are pretty neat from my perspective. I'm not knocking any brand or type. I think we are all a bit biased in our outboard selection. That said, the OP wanted to know why Evinrude, well here are my reasons: 5 year warranty (that is great peace of mind), no maintenance for 3 years, it just sips gas - just like the new 4 strokes, weighs considerably less than a 4 stroke of the same hp, runs at 100:1, no break in period, no oil to change, very quiet operation, ultra low emissions- burns cleaner than a 4 stroke, lots of torque with a great hole shot. The other really neat feature, is all you have to do is activate the winterization feature, and it fogs itself down. I purchased my Etec in 2010 and put about 150 hours per year on her. Right now I'm at around 600 hours, and with the exception of a new starter out of the box in 2010, the motor has been flawless. When I start it up after her Winter rest, she starts up like she had been running 5 minutes ago. Again, I'm not knocking any other brand or type of motor. I know lots of folks who like their Honda, Yami's, Suzukis, and Mercs as much as I like my Etec. I've said it before, I don't think you can buy a bad outboard anymore - they are all solid motors. I do love my Etec though... Also plum, I googled "Evinrude Bankruptcy" here is what came up "Outboard Marine Corporation (OMC) was a maker of Evinrude and Johnson boat motors ... OMC filed for bankruptcy 22 December 2000 and laid off 7,000 employees"
4/11/14 @ 12:09 PM
JethroBodine
User since 12/21/01
Evinrude is in an interesting position in that they're the only company making only two strokes in a world that has largely gone four stroke. I spent the last 6 years with a Yamaha 150 VMAX HPDI, so I have a pretty good idea what their motors are about. (HPDI is same tech as ETEC) It was a nice motor, ran well, fast, didn't pollute much, no oil changes. Nonetheless, went 4 stroke on new boat because that's the way the market has largely gone, and you have to sell someday. In spite of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-7I00cZUE0 I think issues with the early generation FICHT and Optimax powerheads created a stigma around the ETEC/Opti/VMAXs that they're trying to shake to this day, even though the tech is better in some ways.
4/11/14 @ 11:48 AM
plumwerm
User since 3/25/10
I don't think it was that long ago. Shortly after they went under, Bombardier bought them. I think 7-8 years.
4/10/14 @ 6:01 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
Actually didn't know that plum... That was around 14 years ago correct....
4/10/14 @ 4:43 PM
plumwerm
User since 3/25/10
It was a joke however, if you remember, Evinrude did go bankrupt a few years ago and left more than a few folks with a worthless warrantee.
4/10/14 @ 3:21 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
Almost forgot... Plumwerm, you are being a goof.... For every Merc owner who swears by their motor, you will find an Evinrude owner who swears by theirs, and a Honda owner who swears by thiers. Kind of a Ford / Chevy thing. I don't think you can buy a bad motor today. Suzuki, Honda, Yami's, Mercs, Evinrudes, all make excellent motors.
Displaying 21 to 30 of 40 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE