Boats & Motors

Water Pump Change

7/9/18 @ 9:08 AM
INITIAL POST
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

'04 Merc 115 Four Stroke EFI

Anyone have an idea how difficult it is to change the water pump?

I did one on a 25HP Evinrude, years ago and it didn't seem that hard.

Watched some youtube videos and my biggest worry is the shift linkage I guess.

Any thoughts?

Displaying 31 to 37 of 37 posts
7/11/18 @ 3:33 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

BT,

Is that a whole new brass insert or pump itself? Where did you pick that up? I am guessing mine is going to be close, haven't pulled it apart yet to see if the inside is scored or I just need a new impeller.

7/10/18 @ 4:42 PM
diver hunter 1987
User since 9/29/09

I was also nervous at first afraid to mess things up but have since done a merc 25 yami 115 and 8hp and a Suzuki 60hp.  As stated by bugle YouTube is an awesome tool also if you talk to a dealer can help to.

7/10/18 @ 4:29 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

After calling around to a bunch of places, I finally found a complete water pump kit this afternoon at a marina on The Fox.  My Jeep despiritely needed an oil change and by the time I completed that project, I didn’t feel like finishing the water pump.  I’ll hopefuly get to it tomorrow after work and will post the outcome.  There really isn’t much to the pump and it should be fairly simple but I’ve said that about plumbing projects that have nearly caused me to stroke out.  More to come.

I found a bunch of sand in my old pump.  I had my boat on my folk’s dock where it’s only a couple feet deep with a sand bottom.  The wind and whitecaps were pounding in right at the stern and I, for whatever reason, didn’t raise the lower unit out of the water the night before.  It went from a steady stream to a trickle with one turn of the key.  Oh well, at least I’m learning a new skill that will save me $$ in the future.

7/10/18 @ 7:51 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

BT, 

Let us know how it goes. Now that you mention it, I probably did the same thing (sucked sand in).  Next to impossible not sucking things in when mooring at a campsite without a dock.

7/9/18 @ 5:19 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I just dropped the lower unit on my 2004 Merc 90 HP ELPTO.  Wasn’t hard at all once I found my 15mm socket.  I screwed up and let my motor suck some sand into the intake on Saturday and nuked the impeller and scored the inside of the water pump.  I’m trying to find a rebuild/replacement kit locally because I have tomorrow off to put it back together but no shop that I’ve been to has the kit, just the impeller.  If any of our resident boat gurus know the Merc OEM kit part number for the water pump kit for my motor, I’d appreciate you posting it.  I’m finding conflicting numbers online if I have to order it.  But I’m hoping a local shop can hook me up tomorrow.

Edit: YouTube videos for this job are priceless.  I watched three and am pretty confident that I got this. Also Jared, if you’re worried about the linkage, putting the motor in forward before pulling the lower unit apparently helps with getting it all back together without too many headaches.  I guess I’ll find that out for sure tomorrow.

7/9/18 @ 1:46 PM
Murdockjr01
User since 5/11/18

Pretty simple it's about the same as the old motors just a little heavier. YouTube has some great videos on how to do it.

Displaying 31 to 37 of 37 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE