SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Oxidation or ?

6/23/18 @ 3:38 PM
INITIAL POST
Gtuna
User since 3/26/04

This boat is 24 years old. Fished 2 times this year then noticed this on hull and motor.Scrubed of with baking soda and dish soapLooked good sat for a week still looked fine took out for 5 hours and now looks the same as when I started. any thoughts on what it is or how to fix it?

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
7/17/18 @ 4:30 PM
Gtuna
User since 3/26/04

I took sometime off from working on boat.Never really did find the smoking gun per say.Changed anodes went thru all the wiring I could get at. Pulled bilge and live well pumps,went to my buddys for 8 days and fished in his boat.Ran my boat for 6 hours today and all appears fine.Time will tell. Thanks for all you're input thought links ect.Hope I don't have to repost this.

7/1/18 @ 7:53 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Marine-Grounding-Systems

6/29/18 @ 8:25 PM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01

Assuming you found your motor frame and hull were electrically connected, so there must exist a voltage difference between them and something else that is in the water for galvanic corrosion to occur.

Since you mentioned a kicker, see if the frame of that is connected to the hull.

The severity of your issue implies to me that there is a very significant amount of current flow....

6/27/18 @ 3:57 PM
Gtuna
User since 3/26/04

The last 2 days I have checked all wire conections  and any place wires can contact hull. Had planned to use it today that did not work out.Tried info in link on trouble shooting elct. problems and did not find any.Thank you for the link Bass.Trolling motors have there own batt.Nothing else on it.My othere thought is troller on rear is bad.14 years and gets run everytime out.

6/27/18 @ 8:45 AM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

Are you using your main battery for your trolling motor? This has been known to cause corrosion issues if not done correctly.

6/26/18 @ 4:32 PM
mendota
PRO MEMBER User since 12/19/01

Sure looks like galvanic corrosion to me.

Make sure the frame of the motor and the hull are electrically connected.  Sometimes there is an actual wire, sometimes not.  Yours may be missing.

6/25/18 @ 6:12 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

as fast as its happening ....make sure you dont have electric connection short to the boat hull   

how-to/locating-ground-faults-current-leaks-and-short-circuits

6/24/18 @ 3:00 PM
Gtuna
User since 3/26/04

Thanks for the input.Both anodes were in place but severly corroded.Found some replacements localy and bought them today(27$ -40 hp Honda} will install in morning and reclean boat.Will be out later in the week will let you know how it goes.

6/23/18 @ 5:07 PM
fishiz2
fishiz2
User since 7/1/03

Make sure the sacrificial anode on your motor is still there.

6/23/18 @ 4:47 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

Galvanic corrosion...my guess  

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE