SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

leaking alumacraft

9/13/18 @ 8:43 PM
INITIAL POST
Arod
User since 2/26/13

I have a 2012 Alumacraft navigator. This spring it started to take in water. First thought it was a bad rivet. So I put boat on trailer and filled it with water. Then I crawled under it and found water streaming out of a paint bubble on the flat surface of the hull. No rivet problem. Upon further inspection found a number of paint bubble on the hull but only one was leaking. Dealer conferred with Alumacraft and they agreed to a temporary fix by applying silicon to the leaking bubble. Also on a number of other paint bubbles. In October my boat will be sent to Alumacraft for their inspection and determine how to fix it permanently. Alumacraft and the dealer both said they have never seen or heard of this problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it outrageous to expect them to present a deal for a new boat? The more I think about this the more I do not want a boat with a leak because of a material flaw. Thoughts??? 

Displaying 46 to 58 of 58 posts
9/15/18 @ 10:35 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

... to OP, I am on my 3rd Alumacraft and never had any problems... current is a 2012 Competitor

9/15/18 @ 10:33 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

those are sacrificial anodes and they are suppose to corrode to protect other metals parts... need to be replaced after awhile ... the trim tab is dual purpose, combat motor pulling one way or another, and as an anode to guard again corrosion

here's some examples, but check your motor's manual for location and replacement parts

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLbgmJAcGX8

www.westmarine.com/engine-outboard-anodes

worth doing a little research on your own to gain a better understanding

9/15/18 @ 10:27 AM
MuskyManiac5
MuskyManiac5
User since 4/20/07

I had a transom issue with my 2007 165 CS, I contacted Alumacraft and they replaced my wood transom with the new all Aluminum transom at no charge to me.  The boat was 9 years old at the time. 

There were two stipulations that they went by and they grilled me on these, both via email and when I dropped the boat off at the factory.

• I had to be the original owner.
  • All of the on board electronics had to be dealer installed. 
9/15/18 @ 8:01 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

How would one go about checking the grounding in a boat? I noticed that the little piece of metal on my lower unit always has a powder like substance on it after using my boat. I wipe it off and the next time I use the boat it is there again after use.

Does this sound like I am possibly having an electrical grounding problem too?

9/14/18 @ 9:15 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

What 12pak said about grounding - that was my initial thought too.  Could be any number of things though. Hard to tell from 200 miles away.

9/14/18 @ 6:45 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I had a 2012 Alumacraft Classic with zero problems. I now have a 2016 Alumacraft Escape with zero problems. I think that Alumacraft makes one of the best fishing boats. I have also read threads where people have had a issue and Alumacraft took care of it. I would not be concerned with them not taking care of you.

9/14/18 @ 11:02 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Sounds like your handling it perfectly! Good Luck

9/14/18 @ 10:39 AM
Arod
User since 2/26/13

I do plan on letting the process take it's course. But before they do anything after their inspection I want to have a discussion about the issue. Alumacraft has a double hull so I'm not even sure they can get at it by tearing the floor out. I have a major concern about this happening again because it is a flaw in the material they have used. I have had direct contact with Alumacraft and their response was to wait until they have had the opportunity to inspect it. It will be interesting to hear what Alumacraft's response will be. I do appreciate the comments.

9/14/18 @ 9:15 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Jeez, re-read the post!

The silicon is a temporary fix to get him though the season and then the boat goes back to the factory for inspection.

Have confidence in them before you create a stink, let the process run it's course and let them tell you what they think before you flip out. Life's to short, don't stress until you have too!

They will undoubtedly need to pull the floor and look at the back side of the hull before they can truly say they haven't seen it, seems premature for anybody to say that. Did Alumacraft tell you that direct or did the dealer pass that message on?

9/14/18 @ 8:21 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

pretty standard for Alumacraft and no,  i'd crawl up their arse about it.  If they've never seen it happen before,  they would should do something.  Those competitor and navigators have had many issues,  I actually don't believe they haven't seen it prior.  

They won't replace the boat,  they will dance around the issue until you raise hell.  the fix is to put silicon on it.  what a joke.

9/14/18 @ 6:36 AM
Arod
User since 2/26/13

Thanks for the reply river chaser. I believe that Alumacraft has a 20 year warranty on the hull. Not sure what that means for my particular problem. Do they patch it, say good luck and hope it doesn't happen again or do they replace the boat. I certainly do not want a patched leak in my boat.

9/13/18 @ 9:42 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Its great that they sound genuinely interested in the problem and are willing to investigate.  Whats the warranty on the hull? 
Companies can be stingy about replacing with a new product. On the other hand a typical boat hull should have integrity for 25-35 years.  So I might look at this as being cheated out of expected longevity and resale value.

Displaying 46 to 58 of 58 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE