Boats & Motors

Kicker Options

2/6/18 @ 12:05 PM
INITIAL POST
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

Hey guys,

Need opinions on a kicker, or if it'll even work. Boat is a 17ft Deep V. (see pics) 

Problem is the boat rides pretty high in the front already, so I think a 9.9 is out.

Also, as you can see, the stern isn't really set up for a kicker.

What do you guys think a 4 stroke 6HP ( save weight) would do? I like to troll for walleyes and am now getting into muskie. I hate trolling for muskie with the big motor because it's so hard to adjust the speed in small increments.

Any suggestions?

Kicker Options photo by Jared
Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
2/26/18 @ 9:07 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

The kicker just sits on the board I bolted on top the transom.  I use the clamps on the motor to secure it on. 

2/17/18 @ 12:30 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Agreed. I had a 6hp Nissan 4-stroke with one cylinder.  I replaced it with a 2 cylinder 8hp 4-stroke Mercury.  Night and day.

2/17/18 @ 10:30 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

Will a single cyl 4 stroke cause that much vibration? 

2/17/18 @ 9:06 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Yes that old 2 stroke omc 6hp is a great for trolling 2 cylinders runs very smooth.I have one and have put 1000'sof hours on it.It's on my river boat now because I had to get a long shaft for my new boat.I would never put a one cylinder on a boat for a kicker did it once never again.

2/16/18 @ 10:30 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

J-Bird,

Looks like a similar transom to mine. How did you mount the kicker?

Thanks!

2/15/18 @ 2:20 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

On my Alumacraft Navigator 165 CS I use a 1979 6hp long shaft Evinrude. Mainly for small lakes with 10 HP limits. I could use my 24V trolling motor to get around but I can only get it up to about 3 MPH. With the 6 HP I can almost get to 6 MPH. I also added a second set of throttle controls so I can steer, shift and control the speed from the console. Steering isn't full range but it works.

2/15/18 @ 8:40 AM
fuzzyfishin
User since 3/26/07

You could check into a pro troll for your main motor. That along with the troll fin may solve the erotic speed issue.

2/6/18 @ 5:37 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

One other thing about the kicker.  I found that low pitch, high thrust kicker props, while not really designed for small HP motors that aren't true kicker motors, are better for boat control.  My kicker is not a true kicker and I felt like my boat drifted more side to side in cross breezes when I was running the stock 3-blade prop.  I just think that the kicker prop grabs more water and provides more control/stability.  Could be phsychological.  If you can go with a motor that will take a kicker prop, it's nice to have that option. Maybe someone with more hydrodynamic knowledge can chime in with their opinion on that.

2/6/18 @ 4:26 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I think that a 9.9 hp on that boat may be too much.  I have a 17' Sylvan Excursion and run a 8 hp 4-stroke.  That's plenty of motor for trolling.  It goes 0.8-1 mph at idle speed.  The 6 hp might actually be a bit easier to control at lower speed.

I have a PDv2 on my boat with ipilot and copilot but it's only a 12v 55 lb thrust model.  I run that in tandem with my kicker whenever I need to go above 1.4ish mph or if I need to troll into the wind.  It just saves on battery life.  I did it for the first time two years ago after being out with a guide who was doing the same thing for the same reason.  Works surprisingly well.

2/6/18 @ 4:14 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

Thanks for the input so far guys.

I thought the trolling plate would be the answer (have since taken it it off), the throttle controls are just too inconsistent at low speeds for the "big" motor, even for muskie.

I have a PDv2 w/auto and co-pilot (24v) but plan on updating to the Terrova, maybe iPilot link as I have a Helix 10 and two 7's.

I'd love a 9.9, but as stated, it'll be too heavy for the back of this boat.

My thought was a 6HP long shaft along with the bow mount for steering would be the way to go.

I was leaning on the 6 long shaft for the weight savings, obviously. Any mods out there to increase HP?

I appreciate all the input.

Edited: I've had good luck with the bow mount, 8+ hours at 2mph on calm water, but this one is old and on its way out. Plus, when camping, with no power, you really have to conserve battery power.

2/6/18 @ 1:22 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

yep, older starcraft's seem to be stern heavy.  I run a 2 stroke 4hp Merc short shaft as a kicker on a 16' starcraft.  I moved a battery forward to try to re-balance the boat.  It will struggle in the wind and waves to hold 2.5mph depending on currents and directions.  There are times I can't use the kicker and have to go on the main.  I think for walleye you are ok with 6hp.  For muskie where you might be running >3mph and a decent spread, the 6hp could struggle or you may find you are running it pretty hard if there is any wind/waves (like green bay or bago).  The best option is the kicker plus i-pilot in the wind/waves IMO.

2/6/18 @ 1:13 PM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

I agree with Bugle. A high output bow mount might be a better answer. If you watch closely a lot of guys are running the bow mount even with their kicker running. They use it for the auto pilot steering. 

A single cylinder 4 stroke will troll just fine. It will tend to shake the boat some. 

2/6/18 @ 12:48 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

With the stern set up like it is, you may be able to get away with a long-shaft kicker but you'd definitely have to measure.  A transom bracket may be an option for you too.  Another option would be to upgrade your bow mount to a 24 volt system and get a Terrova with iPilot.  My bro-in-law's last boat was an 18' Crestliner aluminum.  He didn't have a kicker but had the 24 volt Terrova 80 lb thrust bow mount on it.  We could troll 6+ hours (depending on wind direction and speed) at up to 2.2 mph no problem.  He has the same motor on his new 18.5' Triton glass boat and he's going to upgrade to a kicker due to having shorter battery life with the bigger boat.  That boat is a heck of a lot heavier than yours but just wanted to mention it since he was able to troll with the Terrova in such a heavy boat.

Just a thought.  Then you'd have autopilot too

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE